BCA Election Results - Jun 2019

Peter Gariepy

2 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Check again,  the top two had more than 1,200. Total votes cast was 3,653 which isn't very many.

The accompanying communication from the vote counters said they got 1,237 ballots.  Since each member could vote for up to 3 candidates on one ballot, with no requirement to vote for any number of candidates, it does not seem appropriate to simply translate the total number of votes as the total number of ballots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

End result is that even with alleged "barn burning" issues involved, the membership yields a similar number of votes as in prior elections where no such issues were at play.  No individual candidate broke the 1000 vote level, either.  Perhaps that might be a new benchmark for any one candidate to attain?

Willis Bell  20811

Edited by NTX5467
addition (see edit history)

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The accompanying communication from the vote counters said they got 1,237 ballots.

Which reinforces the point that most members don't care.  They belong out of habit, a sense of obligation, to read the Bugle, etc., but not because of any real interest in the club itself.  That's somewhat unfortunate, but not uncommon, and not without benefit: inactive members pay dues without creating problems or work.

The interesting info (which should be available) would be a list of the members who voted.

Another interesting data point would be to offer a membership without a Bugle subscription (either printed or online).  Might provide some hard data as to what members really want from the club.

1200+ ballots out of 6,000+ members? That's a 20% participation, which I think is a new record for the 40 years that I've been a member.  Some may think that's poor participation, but it is the highest participation in a BCA election that I've ever heard of. Usually it is 5-10 %.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, Pete Phillips said:

1200+ ballots out of 6,000+ members? That's a 20% participation, which I think is a new record for the 40 years that I've been a member.  Some may think that's poor participation, but it is the highest participation in a BCA election that I've ever heard of. Usually it is 5-10 %.

Agree with Pete. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 3:25 PM, KongaMan said:

Which reinforces the point that most members don't care.  They belong out of habit, a sense of obligation, to read the Bugle, etc., but not because of any real interest in the club itself.  That's somewhat unfortunate, but not uncommon, and not without benefit: inactive members pay dues without creating problems or work.

The interesting info (which should be available) would be a list of the members who voted.

Another interesting data point would be to offer a membership without a Bugle subscription (either printed or online).  Might provide some hard data as to what members really want from the club.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I think there will continue be be declines as older members die off and the online/social media world continues to expand.  The glory days are long gone.  The Bugle is the only thing that makes a membership worthwhile.  Looking at the voting results I see from a couple of the higher vote getters, there will be a business as usual and the same old games 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess we could try to figure out how to keep the BCA relevant in that online/social media world. Our biggest event of the year is going on as we speak and you would barely know other than on this forum.

Nothing on the Facebook page since Monday. Nothing on the website. The office transition would have been an opportunity to get someone that could do some of those things, but we have a faceless entity.

Agree about the lack of engagement from members in general. There is little effort to keep them informed as it is. Perhaps that’s the goal...who knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Faceless entity is a good thing as far as an office is concerned, do the job paid for, no more no less is perfect.  Perhaps a position is needed to act as PR person and to form a relevant online presence to actually man the tools that are in place.  Possibly tie it to the Bugle since that seems to one of the few things that actually are done right.

1 hour ago, Y-JobFan said:

Faceless entity is a good thing as far as an office is concerned, do the job paid for, no more no less is perfect.  Perhaps a position is needed to act as PR person and to form a relevant online presence to actually man the tools that are in place.  Possibly tie it to the Bugle since that seems to one of the few things that actually are done right.

Ideas without action are useless.  Step up and do something. 

One thing to keep in mind is that when travelling, many of us don’t have the same setup as at home.  We rely on hotel wifi, and speaking for myself, didn’t bring a computer to be able to edit down our camera photos to be able to fit well online.  The other issue is that we have been out having fun rather than following everything online.  After I get home Monday evening and through the week, I expect to share additional photos, both here and on Facebook.  I can’t say how quickly that will be as I don’t know exactly when I’ll get home and we had a dog who had emergency surgery while we were away (he’s recovering fine thus far).

I like the idea of say a social media representative.  It may work as a voluntary position, but I think it would be more than I’m willing to take on, particularly while attending a National.

13 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Looking at the voting results I see from a couple of the higher vote getters, there will be a business as usual and the same old games 

8 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Such a typical response from you

Well I came here thinking just maybe someone would be kind enough to report the results of the BOD meeting election results but instead find this crap.

Y-Job, you sometimes make some good points but subjective and rude comments like those above are what get threads dumped. Plus most folks on both sides of the highway are getting tired of all the contentiousness that's gone on over the last couple years so I really wish you and others would just lay off it, at least on here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Well I came here thinking just maybe someone would be kind enough to report the results of the BOD meeting election results but instead find this crap.

Y-Job, you sometimes make some good points but subjective and rude comments like those above are what get threads dumped. Plus most folks on both sides of the highway are getting tired of all the contentiousness that's gone on over the last couple years so I really wish you and others would just lay off it, at least on here.

Well said, enough already... I had a really pleasant time at the meet and I hung out with my friends on both sides of the supposed issues...and you know what...we talked about Buick's and enjoyed Buicks...and the sun rose and set each days...let's not forget there are more important things...

Edited by 38Buick 80C
suns don't rise and set exclusively in the morning (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Well said, Lamar!   For what a comment from me is worth, I AGREE with you and Brian. And Willie. And anyone that was there for fun. I have folks on both sides of the , as Brian said, "supposed issues" , whom I call friends.  Life is too short for DRAMA!     Unless it is to decide which 1950 Buick is best!   And since mine was the only one there I WIN!:P

I like your pasted thumb up.

Ben

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

most folks on both sides of the highway are getting tired of all the contentiousness that's gone on over the last couple years so I really wish you and others would just lay off it, at least on here.

I agree with that. We need a Buick forum moderator who will clean up threads like this before they get out of hand. Instead the back biting is allowed to go on until the whole thread gets deleted.  It's bad for the club and it's bad for a forum that's in decline already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

That's exactly right.  This vote was to end the contentiousness.  It did for me.  I am already planning to attend next year's National Meet strictly as a volunteer.  I might be able to sneak out and view some great Buicks in-between.    The membership has voted, both sides laid out why to vote for them, some folks got voted in, some didn't, let's move on.   I have a pretty well defined path in front of me, 2 extremely rare Reattas need some love.   Just think of all the time I will get back not farting around on the forum about what has been resolved, as far as the membership is concerned, on June 1. 

• Like 1

My yes, let's just pretend everyone is now happy.  Pretending for decades is what caused a lot of the undertones in the club. As the "typical response" comment, it was in return to an obvious combative and certainly non constructive comment.  It's one that is used regularly when someone gives an idea on here and serves no purpose in the discussion.  As far as keeping threads cleaned up, again, lets just sweep any comments under the rug that don't please all because that has worked so well in the past. 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

Not swept under the rug.  Mike Book, Sidney Meyer and Bill Stoneberg won by a convincing margin, voted in by members of the BCA.   Therefore the direction they want to provide is supported by a large majority of members.   It's as simple as that. 

There are so many clubs, so many hobbies and activities a person can participate in, that if you don't like being a member of the BCA right now, then choose another interest that suits you and try that. 

Lol classy, and my comment was construed as rude.  It’s kind of like living in a communist country, our way or the highway, sorry things don’t work like that.  Comments and attitudes like that are exactly why the BCA is struggling 

Well. I did take my laptop and personal WiFi with me to Midwest City.  PLUS the chargers for each!

As for "the world" knowing about national-level car events. EVERYBODY in the BCA should have known about this (or any) year's national meet, for months.  Just from reading "The Bugle", if nothing else.  Plain old analog stuff that's been around for centuries.  Probably no different than with any other national-level (OR local level) car club where the members are supposed to know what's going on (as to the meets and such).

Social media is nice and can expand knowledge bases, but ONLY if somebody in those realms investigates to see what's there and THEN follow it/them.  I got a Twitter account so I could follow some things.  Then I'd get a daily email about how many things I missed by not having a phone that would get instantaneous alerts of new tweets.  MUCH of it was repeated stuff, by observation.  So I just stopped looking at that stuff.  Took up too much time from other things that were more important to me.  That and a LinkedIn account are the limits of my social media activities, other than these car forums (where I can spend WAY too much time, sometimes).

Facebook might be nice and many people use it to share pictures and such, as businesses can use it to promote/inform about what they do, BUT Facebook is not so universally used as some might suspect.  I'm not on it and have no intention of putting my life story on there (as some seem to like to do).  Especially if the "next big thing" comes along and obsoletes it next month, which would mean that everybody would then move to "the next best thing" as they did from FaceTime and others when Facebook came along.

Perhaps there can be a designated person/entity that could do as many collector car brokers do and post to all social media platforms in one big blitz when some thing big is going to happen?  Or the Calendar listings which also appear in "The Bugle" each month?  Might generate some additional interest in the BCA itself, but at what cost/new member?  Lots of things to consider on that.  Otherwise, things can continue as they have been with targeted print advertising and the BCA Tent at Hershey, or similar.

ONE perceived orientation is that if people who own older Buicks, or newer Buicks, know about the BCA, then they'll flock to it.  Doesn't quite happen like that, by observation and my experiences with other single-marque clubs.  Being in a car club is not on some peoples' radar, even if they've owner that brand of vehicle for years, love them, and cherish them while they own them.  Even if they happen to bring their car to a show and take home a "Best of Show" award.  Just not their "deal", for whatever reason.  Have to respect their desires and orientations.  And their desire to not own "a show car".  I've not seen a reliable means to motivate those owners to be involved, or to read the car events listings in their local newspapers.  They are happy where they are and few things can change that, by observation.

As for the length of the days in OK, it was observed by myself and others . . . IF you don't start early, sundown can come too quickly.  Or if you start earlier than others, but get side-tracked talking to people you might encounter, then you realize that place you had planned on being, well that was two hours ago.  Time flies when you're having fun!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

(within Lol classy, and my comment was construed as rude.  It’s kind of like living in a communist country, our way or the highway, sorry things don’t work like that.  Comments and attitudes like that are exactly why the BCA is struggling 

Everybody has their own point of reference on everything, whether they realize it or not.  "Perceptual filters" my college prof called it.  Lots of things in our prior lives can color how we view things.  What might be "normal" in one part of the country might be termed "rude and obnoxious" in other parts of the country, for example.  

My observation has been, at our chapter meetings, that when we might have some potential new members in attendance, if some "regular member" came in late, for whatever reason, making us all aware of "the issues" (in colorful language) in front of everybody (just because they seemingly can), as good of an attempt as we (as a chapter) were making to the potential new member (and their family, potentially) to become chapter and BCA members, when that irate chapter member shows up, we all cringe a bit at what our chapter member is doing, not being able to get them to stop their tirade.  End result from that "venting"?  We never see those potential members again--period.

To me, much of the "us vs. them" mentality of many posts in these forums can have a lasting negative affect upon people wanting to become BCA members.  Or existing BCA members to not read these forums and very much enjoy getting "The Bugle" each month.

Any large organization will have periodic political issues, as Mark from Cornerstone Registrations noted after the General Membership meeting.  People don't join the BCA as "The Bugle" doesn't have enough coverage on the particular model years/type of car which a person might own, for example.  Not unlike people not buying name-brand car magazines which might seem to lean more toward Chevys or Fords, rather than to Mopars, for example.  But everybody keeps buying the magazines . . . as they always have seemed to do.  Just as some in the BCA have done in the past, choosing to not renew their memberships.  Such feedback has resulted in some changes in content, by observation, such that ALL in the BCA can expand their knowledge of Buicks, rather than just specializing in just one particular area (specialized and general knowledge are best when done together, from what I've seen).  So, this can be how some contentiousness is bred, unfortunately.  "You don't like MY car", so I'll go elsewhere".  And we lose them, too, unfortunately.  Some are just that way.  What can we do to recapture those people we've lost???  What can we do to prevent that loss in the first place????

Tighter "moderation" of these forums, which might be perceived as "censorship" by some, that does not give everybody their right to "free speech"?  "Censorship" is not good as it always seems to have some "behind the scenes" determiner of what is allowed and what isn't, in content, which at it's extreme, can be similar to non-USA countries.  Or we can agree to have "civil discourse" where all can have their view heard (within specified guidelines), provided everybody remains calm and treat others with basic human respect even if there are some disagreements between the parties involved.  In some cases, slight "bending of the posting rules" might be needed to allow for certain subjects to be expanded on, but that's a judgment call for those involved.  

This can also result in the "discussers" backing up their claims with facts and such, rather than making "comments" without such information.  For example, if you might not like Holley carburetors where Rochester 4GCs used to be used, perhaps some personal experiences might be in order?  Rather than just calling the Rochesters "junk" and leaving it at that.  As the similar case of Holleys allegedly being "junk" can be made and expanded upon, too.

This club has a huge knowledge base which can and should be shared with other members (and potential members!), whenever possible.  But it seems we get too tied-up in some things which  tend to prevent that, that the "us vs. them" mentality kicks in and things deteriorate from there.  The BCA (or any other similar group) is not about "me" or "you", but US.  Lets' make that so!  While we're still around to do it!!

Willis Bell  20811

aka NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I can see this isn’t moving in a productive and constructive direction. Keep putting things in the Bugle and using methods that have been around for centuries. While doing that, complain about shrinking interest in the BCA and difficulty attracting new or younger membership to sustain into the future.

There is no generic BCA member, BCA chapter, or Buick enthusiast.  Each chapter is different from the other chapters, although there can be similarities and "things in common".  But until the chemistry between the potential member and the BCA members they might see and interact with, things don't happen between them.  

People with Buicks have found me via Internet searches.  I always try to answer/address their questions (many times, about selling their Buick or one of a family member) and hope to send them in a direction which might be better for them, rather than just "slamming the door in their face", so to speak.  Which is how I did things when somebody would call into the parts department and seek a GM-discontinued part.  Always talk about it and help them find another source (aftermarket, repro, used) that would reliably suit their desires . . . rather than just say "It's discontinued from GM" and let things end there (as so many of my associates through the years have done).

End result is that through these public forums, we need to convey positive orientations toward Buicks, ALL Buicks, and the people who own/love them . . . for the benefit of ALL. 

Willis Bell  20811

aka NTX5467

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1