Dalesman

Ignition contact points for 1924 24/34 Roadster

Can anyone help with a supplier for NOS ignition points for my 24/34 roadster?  I have purchased 2 NOS moving contact arms (Delco13341 ) from Mikes Obsolete Auto Parts  but unfortunately they are obviously for a 6 cylinder motor as they are about 1/4 " too long.  If anyone could confirm the correct Delco part number and a supplier that would be a great help. As you are all aware ignition parts for the the 4 cylinder cars are difficult to find and I have already adapted a later modern ignition cap and rotor arm to resolve ignition problems and  I could do the same with the contact points but would prefer to use standard parts if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Contact   Tom VanMeeteren     he has lots of NOS ignition parts.    402-359-5762   or  402-926-6909 cell

Dave

are you certain that 4 & 6 cyl have different contact arms ?

The first 3 photos below are of a distributer with 4 cylinder shaft and upper plates which should be identical to yours.

First photo is new NOS contact arm.  points close parallel.

Second photo is a used contact arm worn about halfway. points still close parallel.

Third photo is a contact arm completely worn down.  when closed, points only contact on one edge.

Fourth photo is these 3 contact arms pinned on a drill rod. Length is identical, the part contacting the cam is bent slightly different.

Final photo is the NOS contact arm sitting over the contact arm of my 6 cylinder 25-45, and these are also identical.

Is it possible that somebody in the distant past has bent the fixed point mount to help improve a worn down moving contact arm ?

Kevin

NOS new.jpg

old used.jpg

old worn down.jpg

3 pinned.jpg

6 cyl cam.jpg

Posted (edited)

per the Delco book

Contact arm

13341         1921-22 6 cyl

15377          1923-1924-1925-1926-1927 6 cyl.,  1922-1923-1924 4 cyl

The contact screw is   1921 thru 1927 6 cyl and 1922 thru 1924 4 cyl.

I also found my breaker plate was bent and had the contact screw not allowing the points to lay flat.      Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Inspect the rubbing block on any NOS points very carefully at the small rivets

Request detailed pics first

The 100 year old block material on many has started to crack and break down

Every set I inspected at Hershey last year were bad

My 1923's rubbing block is repaired with JB Weld.  Been running that way for years.

Thank you all for your responses. I will check the breaker plate but I am sure the steel section which carries the fibre heel and tungsten contact is physically longer on the six cylinder than the four cylinder distributor. I will post a photo to show this. Thanks Hubert_25-25 for the Delco part number it confirms I have purchased moving contacts for a 6 cylinder. If anyone could supply me with the correct 4 cylinder contact set in exchange for the 2 moving contacts I have that would be great and I would of course cover any postage costs etc. Obtaining any American parts in the UK  for vintage vehicle is very difficult and custom charges of anything from America more than doubles the costs.

Dave,

I bought some NOS point sets on Ebay.  It was the arm and the point bolt.as a set  The arm matched what was on my car, but the bolt was a different thread pitch.  Tom Van Meeteren had the correct bolt part that I bought from him at Hershey.  So the NOS point set was NOS for something, but it was not Buick.     Hugh 

I have checked and the existing 4 cylinder contacts are as photo1. Photo 2 shows the 6 cylinder contacts laid on top and their longer length. Photo 3 shows the NOS 6 cylinder contact arms I have .

Hubert can you please confirm an e-mail address for Tom Van Meeteren so i can contact him and hopefully purchase a 4 cylinder contact set.

Thanks you all for your help.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Just a thought, but if the arms and geometry are close, dwell, is, well, dwell.  The coil will never know.  Just tweak the arms so the two points are square/perpendicular to each other.  

The points on one of these units will never wear out in your lifetime.  There is enough material in them to dress them every year. 

And another trick for dialing in your dwell with a meter is to tweak the gap by bending the arm with a pair of needle nose pliers. Playing with that small nut is like working on a watch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If originality is not too much of a concern, I can see a Pertronix module fitting in there easily.

4 hours ago, maok said:

If originality is not too much of a concern, I can see a Pertronix module fitting in there easily.

I am not professional on these by any means but I looked on the Pertronix site and they don’t have them listed for my 1927 standard six so my guess would be no go for anything older?

1 hour ago, Crazyfamily said:

I am not professional on these by any means but I looked on the Pertronix site and they don’t have them listed for my 1927 standard six so my guess would be no go for anything older?

They dont have one for a 1928 chrysler either but I did a hack of another model to adapt into my Chrysler distributor, Delco 631b. So can be done for your '27. I can post some pics if you want.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your comments. parts ordered from Tom   VanMeeteren today.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:44 AM, maok said:

They dont have one for a 1928 chrysler either but I did a hack of another model to adapt into my Chrysler distributor, Delco 631b. So can be done for your '27. I can post some pics if you want.

Yes I’d appreciate that, I’d like to go electronic if possible on my 1927 Buick’s standard six!!

i look forward to hearing from you soon....

thanks again!

William 

18 minutes ago, Crazyfamily said:

Yes I’d appreciate that, I’d like to go electronic if possible on my 1927 Buick’s standard six!!

i look forward to hearing from you soon....

thanks again!

William 

I hope the OP doesn't mind.

I used the  1168LS-P12 which is a 6 cylinder, Lobe Sensing, Positive ground 12v . The lobe sensing models don't need the magnetic ring around the shaft lobe/cam of the distributor, so less to worry about regards to fitment.

1172383470_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.87c78465cb884c7179acc6efbccadea1.jpg

Unfortunately the module on its original base plate was too high and was making contact with rotor arm when install like above pic, so I removed it off the its base plate and mount the module  directly on my contact plate. Make sure its mounted square and about 1-2mm away from the lobes.

830935886_ElectricalDistruptor(13).thumb.JPG.9689945029e53fd12af600acea65d765.JPG

Follow the wiring instructions that comes with the kit. It is different to the points wiring, not much though.

You may  need to adjust the distributor a fair bit to get the timing correct.

• Like 1