Don Jr.

1921 Dodge steering box

Hi, I cleaned up the steering box and replaced a few sleeve bearings. It came out great. My question is at the lower end of the steering box I have a hole which I can see the lower end of the steering worm shaft. It is about 1 3/8 inches deep and about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. It is machined out and appears something was once in this hole. I have no idea what fits in here. Does anyone know what is missing on the end?? Thanks Don.

Hi, there were 2 sleeve bushings in the lower end. I replaced them..I agree with you that there should either be a lower seal or an end cap. Mine is missing the end cap if that is what should be there. Did not know if something else should slide in there as it is about 1 3/8 inches from the end of the box and where the worm shaft ends.Just a smooth bore where I pushed the new bronze sleeve bushing in. I can machine an aluminum plug to seal it off if that is all that fits there? Thanks.