1946-48 trans question

I was able to score a complete 1948 Dodge , 3 speed fluid drive trans from bellhousing, to fluid coupler to trans, complete to replace the original trans in my 1946 Dodge coupe that had a crack in the casing. The flywheel is true and coupler spins nice.  The existing clutch was actually in very good shape. No leaks in the F/D, no noises with that.  Have a new clutch, release bearing, etc.   The trans has a few seal leaks which I was going to set about fixing in the normal spots but nothing bad. Front bearing retainer seal, rear main seal, and the gear shift housing seal. Drained the oil and smelled good and looked even better. Nothing burned, no metal fragments.  NOW.  When I got trans separated and set on bench after removing it from the other pieces, it was in neutral. The clutch was stuck to the flywheel but came off easy. No struggle. I started going through the shifter linkage and hand spinning the trans listening for noises. Well it went into reverse easy and now won't come out of reverse.  The old trans shifted easy by hand (Almost too easy).  Was hoping to get away with not rebuilding this trans as the car is just a run around town 46 coupe and nothing special condition wise.  I do have to remove the shifter case to replace the gasket regardless. Is there something I should look for when the case housing is removed?  The lever feels like it wants to change gears but just won't do it.  Before I start changing seals and gaskets is there something I am not doing to get out of reverse ? I have no history of the car it came out of (French Lake and great guys indeed) But the condition of the flywheel lacking any rust and never been cut and the clutch still having 3/4 meat left and no cracks in the disc has me believing it was out of a lower mileage car.   Knowing the dependability of these 3 speed trans and the lack of any odd noises while hand spinning has me hoping it is just something I am not doing on my end to shift through the gears.

Edited by Brooklyn Beer
new (see edit history)

When shifting into reverse the gear shifter in the car is pulled towards you and then up.

What that pulling towards you does is activates the other shift lever on the transmission in order to engage/disengage reverse. Without actually looking under my car and seeing which direction the lever moves I don't want to speculate either towards the front or rear of the car - but it can only be 1 or the other.

Maybe you need to simulate that movement on the lever(s).

OK, Had some time this afternoon and removed the the gear shift housing.  Seems the one gear shift ball is just pretty snug in it's housing.  With the spring removed it allows shifting in a much easier way. The gears inside look great and clean. No chips. Nothing grinding at all. Not a stitch of rust and everything slides and functions as it should.  One thing I notice in the housing cover is that The mechanism for the shifter lever is on a spring and for lack of a better term, crooked.  It has a spring with it too.  It seems complete and functions and as all I did was unbolt it I doubt I hurt it any as it came off with no effort.  But I made one mistake.  I did not take a picture and record the positions of the gears before moving them around.  I am pretty sure the cover can only go back on one way but I could be wrong. Does this look correct ?  I am thinking the gear shift lever has to go in between this rectangular leave out.  FYI.  It is the top ball that seems tight. Is there a proper procedure to remove and clean it or just a little marvel mystery oil on it and call it good?

20190605_165237 trans.jpg

From my own experience......

You should have the gears in NEUTRAL position when you reinstall the cover and the fork. (note: the levers on the housing should be pointing straight down when installed in the neutral position.) When I put mine back on I did not have the gears in neutral and the tranny would only go in reverse and bog down the engine. When I removed the cover again I made sure the gears were in neutral and reinstalled the cover - end of problem.

Thank you.  I will remove the cover and find out what position that is.  Do you have any idea how close to or if this position is correct I am showing a picture of?  I got the little ball free'd up and it is shifting good right now.  Just need to find out if I have it positioned correct.  No big deal as I have to remove cover again and replace the gasket.  Just what does the other lever do that doesn't shift anything and is quite loose?

"Just what does the other lever do that doesn't shift anything and is quite loose?"

That lever, as I stated in my previous post, is activated by the gear shift lever in the car. When going into reverse, the gear shift lever in the car is pulled TOWARDS you and then shifted up into reverse. When the shifter in the car is pulled towards you that activates or moves the other lever on the tranny.

As far as your picture goes and what gear position you are in I cannot help you there. Probably best to move things around until you feel you are in neutral. 

• Like 1