I should buy a model T ?  Never driven one, oldest vehicle I have ever owned is a 1940 Ford 2 ton truck.  The oddities of starting / driving / shifting is one thing I find amazing.  Magneto and Battery, limited braking, etc.   But the 4 door touring just seems to grab me.

So tell me why I should buy one ?

Because the are inexpensive and parts are mostly available. They are a fun step back in time and  you will learn something new. Enough?

• Like 3

While you might like the idea of a 4 door Touring T the reality is you might be disappointed.

I would bet money you'd would wind up getting in and out from the passenger side anyway.

It might sound clumsy but really isn't and is whole lot easier than navigating the brake lever.

There isn't much room between the brake lever and seat which makes getting in and out from the driver side very difficult unless you wear size 4 shoes....... 🙄

I moved the driver seat back one hole in my '27 Tudor and, with my long legs, it's still a pain getting myself in....... 😬

• Like 2

Thank you.  It would just be another "around town" driver in the garage to go with everything else.  Been bite by the "I think I want a 100 year old car" bug so an occasional grocery store run or 8 mile round trip to the hardware store jaunt is going to be about it. Being in TX we get a much extended driving season so an open touring is where my eye seems to be leading me.  Going to be adding 2 cars this year with one being a Franklin.  The model T seems to give the best bang for the buck in the 100 year old range.  So if I decide to buy a 1920 and before T, in a touring model, what should I look for ? Is the Ruxstal rear that important?  Rocky Mountain brakes seem like a must.  I see many changed over to distributor. They come across as a motor that will run forever.  

I suggest you ask this question on the Model T Ford Club of America website.  You'll probably be inundated with Texas Model T owners wanting to teach you all about them.  I can only tell you, they're an absolute hoot!

• Like 1

Because everyone you pass will smile and everyone who passes you will give thumbs up. Because you will learn to enjoy the journey. Because  happiness is a Model T.

12tr64.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So what year model T gives the best bang for the buck ?  After struggling all morning and succeeding in getting a new fluid drive unit into my 46 Dodge, and doing it solo, I am sure there is nothing I can't do with a T !

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

Having had 3 "UNimproved" T's there's a reason my '27 Tudor is the keeper.

It's a tad lower to the ground, has vastly superior transmission and services brakes and has an improved crankshaft as well.

The body is all steel except for the roof which is a major plus.

And the best reason is they're just fun to drive and nearly everyone LOVES to see them...... 😁

Just a few days ago I had my '27 out and stopped at the local lumberyard.

There were some vacationers in for some plumbing stuff and a lady complemented me on my "spectacular" old car.

• Like 1