Repaired speedometer not returned

Kestrel

Does anyone know what happened to Alan Kriss, longtime reputable repair man for clocks, radios, speedometers, etc ? I sent him my '51 Buick speedometer for a repair in April,  he fixed it, I sent him a check weeks ago, he didn't cash it and I can't  get a return call. He said he'd ship it weeks ago, but that was the last I heard from him. All I have is his phone number 570-376-3952 (and address), no email. 

I'm normally very patient but I'm getting worried. Anyone know if this is normal for Alan ? Thanks all !!

A year ago a Vintage Car Supplier was rumoured to have gone out of business . A person in a similar situation as yourself asked AACA Members in the area of the business . If they could take a drive by the business and report their findings .

One Member reported there was a sign in the front window saying what was going on to the business . Another spoke to the employees of the business .

Maybe rephrase your Heading like Who is close to the Speedometer Repair man and could they drive by his place of business . You see it all the time when people want to buy a car in a far away city and want it checked out before driving the distance ..

I am in Canada so I am too far away .

• Like 1

I got this from a Google search, although the link did not work any longer, the search page let me copy the info:

Sep 24, 2017 - (12) Radio, clock, red line speedometer and electronic repair, ... Alan J. Kriss, BCA #5609, 416 Norris Brook Rd., Middlebury Center, PA 16935

That is his address in PA. Except for a personal emergency or medical condition, I can't understand why a professionally repaired instrument by a reputable person won't be returned or even able to contact. Don't know if I should be looking for another speedometer or cancel my check.

It's unfortunate since I heard there was no one better. His fine reputation was well established in the antique car community.

If he cashed your check and then you never heard

from him, that would potentially be a different situation.

To me, the fact that he never cashed your check

indicates that his intent isn't bad, and that he may

be having some difficulty of some sort.

I hope the man is okay and look forward to hearing the outcome.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, Vila said:

Post Alan's address

Be careful doing that, it's a violation of Federal law if that is his residence. It is classified as "doxing". Just because it's found in an internet search doesn't mean anything.

This guy is probably in the hospital, obviously incapacitated in some way, the thing to do is call the police department and ask them to go by and see if he is okay and ask about your property.

-Ron

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my "lost" speedometer. Miraculously I just received it back Priority Mail from Alan. It looks beautiful, not yet installed but I'm sure it will work fine, just needed lubrication.

It was a frustrating 2 months not being able to contact Alan and he still didn't cash my check. He hinted at a health issue but that's all I know. 

Sometimes we just have to trust and accept some of us have issues , not an easy thing in this scamming, insane computer driven world.

Alan Kriss came through. Sadly there's fewer capable repair guys out there every year. I wish him well. From what I've learned, there was none better.

IMG_0782.thumb.JPG.dfeae1db4ac8acae5eafeb563d98708d.JPG

• Like 5

OK, I read the link, nowhere does it say publishing name and address is illegal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

OK, I read the link, nowhere does it say publishing name and address is illegal.

It’s not.  It can be under certain circumstances (e.g. if the intent is to encourage harassment or provoke violence), but posting that Gomez Adams lives at 1313 Mockingbird Lane isn’t going to land you in the clink.  Think about it: this forum would be full of criminals for making posts like “Bob Jones can rebuild your speedo.  He works out of his house in Walla Walla.  You can call him at (666) 555-1212.”

22 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

If you follow the additional links listed in Locomobile's posted link, it leads you to more specific info about the laws.

Paul

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, KongaMan said:

Untrue.

I agree ! 

“ Doxing ” is the process of searching the internet for information about someone, and then publishing that information in order to embarrass or spite the target.

Neither of which has happened here...

The Buick guys recently lost a good man who used to rebuild rare brass carburetors and someone here on the AACA forums asked if anyone in the neighborhood could check to see if it was legit. The original poster didn't know he had passed on but was not getting a response and was wanting answers so he posted the gentleman's name, phone # and PO Box. Turned out he lived a few blocks from me so I investigated and a neighbor did confirm he had passed on and the family members were in the process of returning everyone's carbs as fast as possible. At no point was it considered doxing. 

In the internet age and with forums like the AACA where guys are constantly looking for parts or quality work on rare parts from ole timers who are literally a dying breed, I believe we will see a lot more of this type of personal information publicized so the buyer can get answers.  Under this guise it is not considered doxing. With that said, I'd still use caution and exhaust all avenues out of sheer respect if anything else.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

As 30DodgePanel wrote above, "doxing" is generally not illegal (a crime); however, it can open one to the possibility of a liability suit.  Here's a link to a short explanation of "doxing" and its legal ramifications:  https://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2018/01/is-doxing-illegal.html

Don't "dox" me dude (please)!

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

As for this sub-thread on privacy, just remember everyone - the laws are usually based on intent and common sense application.  That's 9/10's of the law as they say.  I am no lawyer, but I did work for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Legal as an administrator who worked with attorneys to resolve issues.  Intent is a big deal.  If I post someone's information here from a free search of the web, in order to aid in resolution of an issue, and I get in trouble with some authority, intent will likely get me out before any charges are issued. 

But if you pose as that person, you are in big trouble, if you cause harm to the person intentionally, you are in big trouble. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

5 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Two or three months for someone to deposit a check is no big deal. I've had checks go through long after I would have thought they'd be negotiated.

That's why I prefer PayPal. The money is sent and received in a few seconds and I don't have to deal with any of this ancient BS.... :o

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
  5 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Two or three months for someone to deposit a check is no big deal. I've had checks go through long after I would have thought they'd be negotiated.

There is a legal time limit here in Canada when cheques are stale and will not be honoured by the bank.  I am not sure of that time frame.

I was advised by my Lawyer almost 60 years ago when buying a new home from a national company to write "cancel after 30 days, do not honour" on all my cheques.  A year later the company sent me a letter that my cheque was not honoured and would I please replace it.  My lawyer sent them a letter that the cheque was issued in good faith and valid for 30 days. It was not my fault that it took them 11 months to deposit it.  We never heard from the company again.

14 hours ago, old car fan said:

I still like a check,your info isn't out there.

I'm not sure what you mean by "out there", but a personal check has a lot of one's personal information on it.  For example, my checks have name, address, phone number, bank routing number, bank account number and my signature.  The only good thing, is that a transaction by check is only SUPPOSED to involve the payer, the payer's bank, the payee and (perhaps) the payee's bank.  I guess that the best thing about a check is that the potential for 'hacking' is less than for many on line transactions.  Nothing is really secure these days, but my guess is that the most secure transaction would be a cashier's check which would not have the payer's information printed on it.

Cheers,

Grog