'30's Philco Transitone car radio, need info.

Any radio guys out there who can give me info on what I think is an early '30's Philco Transitone car radio? It has separate cable-driven tuning and volume controls plus a lock to turn it on and off,doesn't seem to be much info on the web.

I sent a pic to Peterg to post so you can see it.

Funny thing is I hooked it up to a 6V power supply, grounded it to a water pipe and it works! The button on the chassis seems to control tone and the dial is illuminated.

Is it a single unit with the speaker, tuner and amplifier in a single case with a remote head for tuning/volume/locking, or is it a multi-unit system with a seperate amplifier from the tuner assembly? I have some information on the early Transitones, in my other life I collect antique radio's.

Rich

The Philco radio I purchased for my '37 Chrysler has a control unit that mounts in the dash with three cables connecting it to the speaker, tuner, amplifier box. I also have purchased a Philco "Skyway" antenna and am particularly interested in the cable that connects the two. The sharing of any info about these radios would be appreciated. wink.gif

roadster rich, do you have any pictures of you Philco transitone? I'm also looking to find info on a 1930 Philco Transitone Radio for a friend of mine. A picture of the one I'm looking for can be found at the attached website. auto.html thanks for any help.

[color:\\"blue\\"]hello LI stellite,

i don't know what info you are looking for, but IF you have the key - and [color:"red"]IF IT REALLY WORKS - by that i mean receive, tune, adjust etc, it should bring $50 - $100; i know - i've been buying and selling pre 1960 car radios for 27 years! - good luck with it! [not exactly the most desirable transitone!!!] <|:-(

Cheers!

Mark Weisenthal

Jpeg1,

That would be the same radio. In my piles of 'papers', I have an original sales brochure and an original installation manual for it. Just need the darn radio. There were a relatively small number made prior to Philco's acquisition of Transitone. From what I gather the quality of audio and reception was less than spectacular. My dash has the mounting brackets for the radio, and the proper hole for it, but alas no radio or wiring.

Rich

RoadsterRich,

My friend is running out of time trying to locate this radio. We have found some information but are still trying to find better close up pictures of the dial. We have a machinist who is willing to duplicate the visible portion of the radio and then we'll simply rig it to a modern unit behind the dash. For now we are trying to find an original to copy or better pictures. Would you be willing to share any info you have with us? I'm sure at this point in time there are more holes in dashboards than radios to fit them and sooner or later this will have to be done. If you'd like I can also share the other info I found on this radio with you. If we all pull together we might be able to pull it off