1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster Project Engine color

Gunsmoke

Noticed a post earlier today on an engine re-detailing question for a '32 Chrysler. (my advice on that one would be to leave engine where it is, big job to remove them). It was timely as I took my '31 CD8 engine from it's chassis earlier this week to send frame for sandblasting. So, while it is out, plan is to clean the engine/transmission and paint it. These CD8 engines were painted a blue/grey (may have a touch of green as well) as shown on cover of tranny plate. Not a readily available color in engine enamel as far as I can determine. Checked Eastwood, Bernbaums, local parts outlets, paint stores etc, nothing close. Anyone know where someone can get this specific paint, or someone who can mix-to-match in heat resistant engine paint?

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

• Like 1

As dep5 says.

That colour looks very similar to the Dodge 8 engine colour, perhaps a little more blue (but light and screen may change colours a fair bit). Hirsch carries a Chev engine colour that is very similar. I had a swatch sent to me from Maine and had it matched in a local shop.

I am dubious of these engine colour matches to a paint supposedly 80 or 90 years old that has been in a hot and cold place exposed to various petroleum products and their fumes. Who knows if they are still the same as they were originally?

Over the years I have found ordinary household enamel, or quick drying enamel  works well on engines as long as you prepare the surfaces well, removing all old paint, oil and grease. 

I think high temperature enamel on most engine parts is not really necessary.