glennb49

1989 16 valve 5speed TC need help getting running

Thanks again Hemi . Ill try to get the incoming hose off ,Will sucking on it by mouth be enough to test it? Ill also see if its available at parts store. wonder what would happen if you used a 8 valve? they look they look the same? 

The fuel pressure regulator should be the same for all turbo engines (at least '87-newer). Our pressure is 55psi static (no vacuum reference while running).

My personal guess is that fuel sat in it and slowly degraded the diaphragm. It was on the verge of failure and it just so happened to pick the day you cleaned everything to finally fully let go. I don't think that was the cause at all.

I haven't tried to access the rail and all with the radiator in. At a minimum I would think the fan has to come out. If your fingers are nimble, and your sense of touch is good, you might be able to pull the whole rail without pulling the radiator. Another option would be to pull the intake. The intake gaskets are reusable (or are supposed to be).

2 10mm bolts hold the rail to the intake. I think it's 2 8mm nuts hold the FPR to the rail. When you go to put it back together, make sure the hole for the o-ring is clean and no burrs, and lube the o-ring (I use ATF) to help it seat easier.

Thanks Reaper 1 I can get a used 8 valve if they are the same , They do have different part numbers, as Hemi gave me them. DOC is 55 psi and SOC was 48 psi so will that effect the run ability? Im getting pretty good at taking the radiator  and fan out just hope I can get to it then. Thanks for your help