Mark Gregory

What is the new Fad of motorists driving off centre in highway lanes with tire running on white line

Posted (edited)

The more I drive on USA and Canadian highways i see more motorists driving with a tire running on the white lines with the car not centered in their lanes . i do not know if they are teaching this in Driving School these days or not .

I know up here in Canada Driving Schools do not want you to stop at the white line at intersection but a car length back . I assume in case someone rams you from behind and pushes your car into the intersection ?

If it is just sloppy driving then more power to Self Driving cars .

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I never saw it, never heard of it.

I think "fad" is not an accurate term, nor

would a driving school teach it.

What have others seen?

I don’t think it’s a fad, but just poor driving skills coupled with inattentive drivers playing with a smartphone or something like that...

• Like 7

I notice more and more people having trouble staying in their lane.  Probably used the horn more in the last year than in the previous 40.  

Posted (edited)

Not a new fad....just lazy or distracted (see cell phone) drivers who are not paying attention to the rules of the road.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Funny, around here no one seems to know what the white line across the road (the DMV calls them stop bars) is for,  most people pull way ahead of it.

I see people on cell phones, at 70 mils per, texting or emailing, and occasionally looking at road.  Personally, I think there should be a device in a car that jams all phone functions, other than gps, when car is moving.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

What is driving me crazy is that at least 50% of the time that a signal is required,  it doesn't happen.  Seems to have become optional these days.

Btw,  while we are ranting,  texting and driving is worse than driving drunk.

• Like 2

If you mean the white line marking the shoulder & if they are driving normally & not weaving, it may be to avoid all the freaking potholes that are in the normal driving lane.

• Haha 2

Left turn on red seems to be common here.  In defense of this, traffic around these parts has increased immensely over the last few years and there seems to be a general lack of dedicated left turn signals.  Sometimes it's left turn on red just after the light turns red or never turn at all.

Left turn on a red onto a one way is legal in Oregon.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Left turn on a red onto a one way is legal in Oregon.

Washington too, though no one ever does it. The inattentive driving keeps me from bicycling on roads with cars, only on trails with bikes and walkers.

1 hour ago, mrcvs said:

Left turn on red seems to be common here.... Sometimes it's left turn on red just after the light turns red or never turn at all.

In my state at least, that is entirely proper.

Waiting to make a left turn, the driver should

pull into the intersection and wait until the

opposing traffic has gone.  Naturally, he should

have his left turn-signal blinking.  Then, right after the

light turns red, it's legal for him to finish his left turn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In California the solid white line along the edge of a two lane highway (or country road) is called the "fog line" and has no legal significance. It is not illegal to touch or even go over it. It's there supposedly to warn you the edge of the pavement is near, and if you go to far you'll be driving with your right wheels in gravel or into the ditch. Of course it gets it's name from dark or foggy conditions; it helps you see where the pavement you should be driving on is. It is very unfortunate that drivers let themselves drift to the right; it endangers pedestrians and bicyclists.

26 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

In my state at least, that is entirely proper.

Waiting to make a left turn, the driver should

pull into the intersection and wait until the

opposing traffic has gone.  Naturally, he should

have his left turn-signal blinking.  Then, right after the

light turns red, it's legal for him to finish his left turn.

You are in Pennsylvania I assume?

I used to live in Virginia and don't remember seeing this as much at all.

So is this legal in Pennsylvania and possibly not so in Virginia?

I wasn't aware this is legal.

I also don't understand the lack of dedicated left green arrows.

Like John S in Penna said, it is legal in Pennsylvania.

With the traffic we have you would never get to make a left run at some intersections if you didn't turn left on red.  When the light turns green, you pull into the intersection, stop, and wait until the light turns red and the traffic in the opposite direction stops, then you complete your left turn.  At some intersections only one car gets to make a left turn per light cycle when there is a lot of traffic.

What is illegal in PA is for the light to turn red and you pull into and intersection to continue straight thru to block opposite direction left turns or crossing traffic.  Some intersections now have sights that say "Don't block the box" for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrcvs said:

It is not legal in Virginia to pull into the middle of an intersection, wait until light turns red to stop coming traffic, and then turn left.  I live in Virginia and can tell you this for a fact.

As the policeman who pulled him over explained to a friend of mine recently, when my friend did just this, "Sir, you went through the intersection on MY green light, not YOUR green light".

My wife was once coming up to an intersection and just entering it when the light turned yellow.  A guy clipped the back of her car as he ran the red light on the cross street.  My wife admitted seeing the yellow at the last minute, and got a ticket for running a "red" light, as the rule is something like if you see yellow, you must try to stop.

All that said, people around here run red lights all the time, and squeeze in at the last second (and then some) on some turns.   I NEVER go on a green light until I've looked all ways first.....

Posted (edited)

In Pennsylvania it's also legal to make 3-point turns

to change your direction in the middle of a street.

Clearly, that wouldn't be practical on busy streets,

but on streets with no traffic, or dead-end country roads,

it can be useful.  Learning a 3-point turn is even a

REQUIREMENT for getting one's driver's license.

A friend said it wouldn't be okay in her state, Michigan.

She knew the maneuver as a "K-turn."

Pennsylvania has, however, dropped the requirements for

learning horse-shoeing and stopping runaways---

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Around here if you do not pull up to the white line and stop particularly on side streets, you may never trip the light sensor in the road. Same for those who pull beyond the white line and are clueless when the light never changes.

ps J-turns are easier.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Great topic!  It's unnerving to catch a vehicle in the lane to the left of you drifting to within inches of your car.  Especially when you're properly centered in your lane.  A curvy road makes it even more exciting!  And yes, it's a lot more common lately.

• Like 1

I find that other motorists start to pay really attention when they realize I'm willing to let them hit me. I'm insured, most of the time the car I'm driving isn't something priceless and that needs protecting. It's amusing to have them inattentively drift over and when I don't move, they snap to attention all of a sudden and get all startled and yank it back into their lane, then give me a dirty look like I was the problem. This is especially pronounced when we go to visit my wife's family in Toronto, where drifting into the lane next to you apparently means you want to change lanes and in most cases, people get out of the way and let them do it (Canadians are unfailingly polite). When I don't move out of their way, they're totally unprepared for it and start yanking the wheel and swerving and honking. Oh, I'm sorry your highness, I didn't recognize you without your crown.

I'm willing to let them hit me. I've got insurance. Let's dance.

• Like 3

Here in Vegas many cars stop one, two and sometimes three car lengths back form the intersection or the car in front of them.

Some drivers think that after the light changes to red the next 2 cars can go through.

Posted (edited)

Happened to my wife and I today, bozo was texting and drifted over the yellow line.  No brains required to operate a motor vehicle today.  It doesn’t help that high school driver training is a thing of the past.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

One thing I noticed in Sao Paulo was that many if not most cars had broken side mirrors.

6 hours ago, mrcvs said:

You are in Pennsylvania I assume?

I used to live in Virginia and don't remember seeing this as much at all.

I wasn't aware this is legal.

Been legal here in Virginia since I stated driving almost 50 years ago. Just have to pull into the intersection on the green. If not a legal move, it would be impossible to make a left turn off the Boulevard in Richmond, even 50 years ago!

Never heard it was illegal anywhere, even Maryland....

But, people do get confused when the median is wide, because when they are in the intersection they entered when the light was green they are now facing a red light, so they wait for this light to turn  green ignoring the people behind them blowing their horns to go!!!!! Ah, city life.😉

As to driving the center line, I live in what was a rural area and everyone still drives in the middle of the two lane roads like it was 50 years ago with no traffic! The white middle line is just to claim sides when two cars are there at the same time, which is often now....

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

It doesn’t help that high school driver training is a thing of the past.

Still going strong here in most areas of Virginia.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/driver_education/

I've heard Maryland dropped it in some areas. Hmm, I guess all areas:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/education/

Explains what I see on the road with Maryland license plates. I'm not speaking of the guys on here from Maryland.....😉  Most of them are old enough to have been through high school driver's ed.