choke rod attachment to knob

bwanapete

How is the choke rod supposed to attach to the fitting that gets screwed onto the tang that is attached to the dashboard choke knob?  The rod does have threads so I got a nut that fits, and ground it down as much as possible, so it would fit the above-described fitting.  This did not work because the rod needs something very slender so that it fits in the hollow of the fitting.  So I tried friction tape, didn't work.   Then I tried a sleeve of rubber from an electric cord.  That didn't work either.  The rod pulled out.

In the first place, when I took it apart, hard pieces of black substance, maybe plastic, fell out.  Is that a clue?  What should I use to attach the rod to the fitting that gets screwed to the tang that is attached to the dashboard knob.

I suppose the throttle uses the same mystery stuff where it attaches to the tang on the dashboard knob for the hand throttle.

You must be referring to the rubber tubing that is clamped on the connection of the dash inside shaft control and the under the hood shaft that goes to the throttle and chock units.  I'll try to take a photo of mine later and post it.  Thanks, Ray