33 Olympic interior door handle

Franklin Olympic

Not sure.  Been talking with a guy who is doing handles for the Packard & Pierce Club.  He is having some success making a few handles for them.  I am meetinbg with him this weekend.  Hopefully the cost will be ok to good if we can get enough people interested to buy.  I will check out quality and condition of the ones he has made and go from there.  Will keep you posted.....

• 3 weeks later...

Franklin for the Olympic series 18 cars used Reo Flying Clouds minus the hubcaps, temperature gauge, engine/transmission, hood , shell . The bodies were supplied to Reo by the Hayes Company.

Reo shipped the cars to Franklin via boat / barge over the great lakes as much as possible . If you look at the Franklin Olympic sales folder it notes the Olympic wheelbase was 1 inch longer then the Reo Flying Cloud. If you measure the Franklin Olympic wheel base it is exactly the same but one car ( the first Olympic made) had a longer wheelbase by the 1 inch, all the rest were the same as the Flying Cloud. In order to be truthful , 'under certain circumstances' an Olympic had a longer wheelbase - that one car. I talked to Edward Marks, the Chief Engineer at Franklin 40+ years ago at the Franklin Club trek about that as I used to help organize a luncheon for former Franklin employees when the Franklin club held its annual meet every August. So  in front of a crowd Ed Marks somewhat sheepishly confirmed how that extra inch on that first car was accomplished, a fellow Franklin employee ( Leo Gerst, chief draftsman) after I had asked that question , leaned over to  me and whispered " I can't believe you had the guts to ask Mr. Marks that". After the session of discussion of the "days at Franklin" were over I went up to Ed Marks and apologized and told him I hope I hadn't embarrassed him , he was very polite and just grinned when he looked at me and said "Walt after nearly 50 years the truth came out " under his breath. Leo Gerst walked up to me and said " I heard that , holy s%&t". " He went on to say "I was there in the factory when that happened and the rumor was we should never dare say anything".

Ya just hadda be there for that moment.

Walt G.

• Like 2

The people who were at that same meeting decades ago heard most of the comments but my guess is that if a dozen remember it or recall it at all it would be a lot. Not sure how many members who were there in attendance are even still with us. Time goes by quickly and there is just so much information, stories from first hand experiences or conversations with auto pioneers.  I am trying to get a lot of this information down on paper , along with many other facets and information on automotive history of specific areas , especially the coach builders designs and builds that is my primary focus of interest.

As far as I know, nobody makes these handles. Jeff does not like to correspond via e-mail, so call him. Reo Flying Clouds seem to be rarer than Olympics. I am now terrified to use my door handles, and tell everyone that rides in the car not to pull the door closed with the handle.