Location of 1989 Buick Reatta parking light relay

etbacon

My 16 year old daughter bought a 1989 reatta few days ago and the parking lights usually will not turn off with out pulling the parking light fuse. On rare occasion it will let her turn them off by the button. With out the parking light fuse  the fog lights and high beams do not work as well. I am thinking there is a parking break relay causing the issue but haven't had a chance to buy a repair Manual yet to verify this. I do not see a parking break relay in the interior or under the hood fuse boxes. On other forums show the 1990 model location. I am wondering if is the same location for the 1989. Also checking to see if any one has any other ideas on what may cause the issue she's having if does not have a parking break relay.

Edited by etbacon
Spelling (see edit history)

It's normal for the parking lights to go on and off with the fog lights on a Reatta when the ignition key is on.  Try turning off the fog lights by pushing the button on the console in front of the shifter and see if that solves your problem.

Unfortunately we tried turning fog lights off to see if that would turn the parking light already and it does not work. I forgot to mention when parking park fuse is put in the computer flashes with diagnostic code saying detects electrical problem which only occurs after parking light fuse is put back in. Which is why I think could be a relay issue.

Welcome to the Forums.

I am not 100% sure since I do not have my manual information with me. I know on 88's I think 89 is the same. All the power for headlights and tail lights are drawn from the dash light switch.  This is a lot of current draw thru the switch which can cause burnt contacts in the switch. I think this is why GM added relays in 1990 and 91, to cut the current load thru the switch. I did Headlight wiring upgrade on my 88  that uses relays and direct power from battery. Made huge difference in Brightness. Lookup some of the parts vendors at the top of the forums for replacement switch. If you replace the switch with good one I would add relays for headlights and tail lights to remove the load from the switch. This will extend its usable life.  I have not done the taillights on mine yet but have it planned out to do.

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

The codes are

E026

And

B420 History

Also does anyone know where I can buy a replacement headlight switch and new connecter for it? Some one mentioned this may be my issue but having trouble find these parts. 

41 minutes ago, etbacon said:

The codes are

E026

And

B420 History

The B420 might be set because of the parking lights. The service manual isn't clear to me on that.  The parking light relay is in the console relay center. You may have to remove the entire cover from the console to access it. There are some hidden relays that you can't access just by removing the door.  You could try unplugging the headlight switch if you think it is causing the parking lights to stay on.  Dave can give you instruction for removing the switch. It's easy to do.

Thank you Ronnie. I found the relay exactly where you said it would be. I will see if the auto parts store has one so I can try it tonight. I reached out to Dave for a switch in case that's the issue. I told my daughter she should probably buy one now reguardless in case she ever needs one in the future. I will update if it was the relay or if was the switch. I am adding a picture in case anyone wants to see the exact location of extra relays. 

MVIMG_20190530_145510.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the photo. It might come in handy in the future.  Let us know if the headlight switch fixes the problem.  You can't go wrong buying from Dave. He has supplied me with lots of parts and I've never been disappointed.

• Like 1

Thank you Dave! Was easy to remove old switch. I received the new one today. I installed the switch and had everything back together in like 5 minutes. Good news it has resolved the issue my daughter was having with the parking lights not turning off. Just wondering do I need to clear out the previous error codes or will it recognize the issue is fixed? 

Edited by etbacon
Spelling (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
On 5/30/2019 at 11:43 AM, DAVES89 said:

I have extra 1988/89 switches email me if interested.

lemke1044@aol.com

Dave - I sent you an email.  I just bought an 89 Reatta with 60k miles on it and are the running lights (including the license plate lamp) are not shutting off when I turn the ignition off.   From what I am reading it sounds like you may have diagnosed our issue. Do you still have any of these parts?