Kansas

arnulfo de l.a.

We spent quite a bit of time last night in the southwest corner of the basement.  The tornado was a little over a mile wide, but luckily it stayed on a path that took it across some lightly populated areas.  I've not personally gone out to inspect anything so as not to hamper cleanup operations.  From what I can tell by viewing pictures, the actual tornado went through about 5 miles north of it us.   

Lots of flights out of and into KCI were delayed because of debris on the runways from the little town of Linwood, KS which is about 30 miles from the airport. 

No serious injuries have been reported.  I think everyone took the warnings seriously enough that they too cover.  No mobile home parks in the path of this one.  Lots of pictures on the internet if you're so inclined.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Ed and Linda 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

As bad as all these tornados have been, I think that the flooding from all the monsoon rains associated with

these storms is the bigger story. The flooding in Oklahoma and Arkansas is horrific.  Glad all is OK with you Ed. I wish my house had a basement

that I could go to when the weather is threatening!

• Like 1

Linda and I drove from KC to St. Joe (60 miles) to meet a guy from whom I was buying an old JC Higgins bicycle.  He arrived about an hour later than scheduled because he had to detour so many times to get around rivers, creeks, and streams that were over the roads. We were okay as long as we stayed on the Interstate, but we could not have gone to Omaha.  I-29 is under water around the Missouri - Iowa border. 

We're right at the confluence of the Kansas River and the Missouri River but much higher.  At Kaw Point (Kaw is the Native American for Kansas) where the two rivers meet, there's a park with a statue of Lewis and Clark.  Normally from their perch on a stand, they're looking down the Missouri River as they plan their voyage.  Right now, they're up to their knees in water.

Image result for Lewis and Clark statue Kaw Point

Image result for Lewis and Clark statue Kaw Point

And the forecast is for more rain today, Friday, and Saturday.  

I-29 at Iowa St. Hwy 2 between St. Joe, MO and Omaha, NE yesterday

wi29-iowa.png

I thought this was an interesting picture.  The guys home, in Bonner Springs, is destroyed but the classic Pontiac GTO seems to be unscathed.

Image result for Tornado bonner springs, ks

Parkville, MO which is part of the KC Metro is pretty much flooded as well as other little towns around here. 

Image result for parkville flood 2019

I'm almost afraid to go down to La Cygne, KS, which is on the Marais des Cygnes* River to see if my 63 and 65 GS are high and dry. The Marais des Cygnes has been known to flood as well but I'm hoping that I'm far enough north of it to be safe.  I'm sure the guy who owns the facility would have called me and let me know if there were any problems.

*Some French influence in Kansas: La Cynge - the swan:, Mariais des Cygnes -  Marsh of the Swans.  The name gives wonder to why there was even a town built there.  

channel 9 mafs GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

Edited by RivNut
Grammar (see edit history)

Sixxer, Susan and I live in south Overland Park Kansas and we had a few sprinkles (not far from either of you guys as you know).  We also didn't have any branches or leaves out of place like many thunderstorms.  We were in KC at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.  They had as "Shelter In Place".  Didn't seem like there was much in KC either.  Bonner Springs and Lawrence got hammered from the pictures I saw.  Seems like there weren't many injuries only property damage, which is a blessing of sorts.  I guess with the tracking technology and everybody connected with their smart phones, things are a bit safer.  My mother in law from Lincoln Nebraska was here for the Kauffman thing and when she went home yesterday because of the floods, what took her 4.5 hours last Saturday to come down, was over 7 hours with all the detours.

Rock On

gord