krazykat

1922 spoke wheel wedges, seatback grab bar

Looking for mounting hardware for wood wheels (wedges) for a 1922 Hupmobile open car. Also, need a grab bar for the seat back. Does anybody know what company made their wheels? 

Thanks 

Charlie 

20190527_195345.jpg

If you clean the outside of the metal felloe there should be a name stamped in the metal that will indicate the maker.

Well I don't exactly know how to measure.  I'm assuming that you don't mean width, so would measuring the felloe diameter answer your question? Not meaning to sound daft, just never dealt with this type of wheel. 

Thanks 

Charlie 

Charlie,

According to my genuine reproduction rim book,your Hupp takes a 24" Kelsey rim. I've taken pictures of the index,two of the wedges that are used,and a section of what is called a "service" rim that fits many applications. The wedges are for a 110 rim and a 210 rim,in the book one fits a Dodge,the other a Lexington but the picture of the section of the rim is the same as the service rim. The index says on page 45 it shows the actual rim but that page is blank in my book so it never got copied. Lots of Dodges used that basically the same 24" rim and they are around,you'll just have to do a little searching. I may still have one or two but haven't had time to look. Beware of old nasty looking ones that have a weathered tire on them.

Good luck,

Steve

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5597.JPG

IMG_5598.JPG

Charley,

Where it says 32x4,to get the rim size,double the 4 which is 8,subtract it from the overall height which is 32,you get 24.

Okay,this is my last post tonight,re-read your first and it looks like you have rims,just need the wedges,so hopefully the pictures help.

That's a lot of information and greatly appreciated. I have a felloe in an electrolyte bath to de-rust and the closest measurement I could get was 23 1/2" on the inside so must be 24's. This is very good help and much appreciated from all. I do have one worry. ..though I'm confident about removing the rust off the felloe with electrolysis, I'm concerned with submerging the inner rim complete withe wood spokes. The spokes appear to be splayed out on the rim end and not easily removed. I wonder if I need to resort to sandblasting.  The spokes look to be in serviceable condition. 

No easy way to restore wood wheels. I would not recomend dipping the complete wheels in a rust remover, as the solution is likely acidic or alkaline based. Sandblasting will clean the rims but may damage the wood.

Best way is to strip them. First remove the hub bolts, then support the felloe on 4 wood blocks, then look for a spoke with the taper that is facing the right way to tap down. Start by tapping each alternate spoke firmly down using a block of wood to prevent damage to the spoke. Then tap the remaining six spokes in the same way, working on alternative spokes. You should by now find the hub will have moved up. Keep repeating this process and the hub will work its way up until it can be easily removed. DO NOT LET THE SPOKES FALL INSIDE IN A PILE AT THIS TIME.

Next number each spoke from 1 to 12 in a clockwise direction with a tapered punch or number stamps so that you know which spoke belongs where. I usually do this by starting with the valve hole at the top and number 1 in the 1 O' clock position. I also mark the spokes on the back with numbers 1 to 4 and also number the hubs and felloe's as well. If you mark the spokes so that the numbers are behind the hub, then it wont show upon reassembly. Also marking the spokes with a stamped number means you wont sand off the numbers.

Now you can sandblast and paint rims and sand and paint the spokes safely.

To reassemble fit the spokes into the felloe, put the outside of the hub facing down, now position a couple of bolts thru the spoke holes and thru the hub to align the parts, making sure the outside of the wheel is also facing down, now you will have to push a few spokes down to get the hub started and follow the same procedure of tapping alternate spokes to "walk" the wheel back onto the hub until it is snug against the hub. DO NOT TRY PRESSING THE HUB INTO THE SPOKES, IT IS LIKELY TO CRACK OR BREAK STUCK SPOKES.

Once the hub is back in position you can replace the hub bolts, wrench them tight and peen the thread ends to lock them from coming undone. It is best to replace the hub bolts with high grade bolts, do not use mild steel coachbolts for your hubs, they will eventually break.

Have fun 

• Like 2