'38 Cad 60 Special on BaT

The cracked Lacquer repaint is probably holding it back.  If any buyer's think repaint that's a whole can of worms as now you are into all new rubber,  do you replace that delaminated glass as well.  The paint is even cracked on the firewall.  The problem is it will only get worse as well.   Does one of these with very nice paint normally sell for around 30?  I would suspect so or upper 20's. 

I wouldn't repaint it,  but it's probably in the back of bidders minds when they enter their bids.  It does look like a very nice car otherwise.  

Well.............,  O.K., then. Drove the 12 cyl SL600 down the hill through the park to watch the sunset a couple days ago.

On topic, I find these great looking 1938-'41 series 60S Cadillacs to be fast, comfortable, reliable cruisers. Huge brakes, and exceptionally well engineered IFS. I am in the group which prefers the more "antique" looks of the older '38s -'40s over the formal elegance of the '41s. But I really do get it about the more modern version, and of course you can get the '41s with an automatic. After the war, the styling of the '41 60S still did not look archaic or out of place for several years. Of course, mechanically, the OHV V8 of '49 was the badge of the new sheriff, along with the "embryonic" tailfins of '48-'49. Most of the old time Cadillac dealers could still do routine service for the somewhat eccentric owners who could not part with their old loves, even into the '60s.

Still eccentric, but now old and disabled, Sandy and I used to walk through a park trail down to this beach. Walk a couple of unpopulated miles at low tide, and gather mussels for the pot on the return trip. It is not that easy for me to get in and out of some of my more modern vehicles, so I usually watch through the windshield. Happily, I can still drive all of them. I feel particularly fortunate that I can still drive the '24 and '27 Cads. I am confident that I am in the right support group in AACA for the inevitable.

My thoughts right now are with those of you who have already been making the adjustment.   -   Carl 

D36F750C-A95C-4367-B3FC-7491226E38A9.jpeg

• Like 1

The '38 through '40 Cadillac 60S has probably always been one of my favorite cars. When I first needed a password for computer access in the 1970's it was 60S0, with the hope of one day changing it to 60S1. Over the years passwords have moved away from that simplicity, but my kids know the mortphated, current version.

It is interesting to look back, noting that the 60 Special was only about 20 years old when I first learned about them. They are 80 now, for about 60 years I have maintained my interest in them and a whole bunch of other cars, some that didn't even exist. Over that span the same concept of car has always attracted me in style, engineering, and execution. A few days ago I read the requirements of a Classic Car on the CCCA website. It was pleasing to think of the cars I have owned and still own that fit those requirements, yet, are too new or not selected. Guess I had the pleasure at a lower cost.

I checked the other rules too. I must be an antique car guy. I have cars over 25 years old.😀

Couple of you guys have mentioned the '38 to '40 Cadillacs.

What do you know about the '37 by comparison? 

I'm kinda new to Cadillac but have a soft spot for the looks of the '37.  Know next to nothing about the mechanical differences, though.  Any significant differences?

-- Luke

Luke, (scott12180), I had a very comprehensive response about '37 Cads zapped into the irretrievable 5th dimension of cyberspace. I have sent a P.M. suggesting a phone call. I have had 2 '37 Cads.  -   CC 

Matt : I echo your preference for the '38 60S above all. 

Oh, and Steve : yes, IMHO these 60S beauties are in general quite advanced over their Lincoln contemporaries. No O.D. capability, however. The sophisticated IFS, the fine, strong, simple V8 which would help us fight the war, and the enormous brakes, must be factored into the superiority of the Cadillac. Again, my opinion, I do know there are points in favor of Lincoln, among them structural.  But, of course my nickname is earned, and it is not "Mr. Lincoln".         Just call me     -   "Cadillac Carl "

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind words, Steve. In gratitude to you, and with humility, it is therefore one of those true confession moments Yup. As you know, Cadillac hearts were transplanted into many other species. Lincolns had been known to be recipients. To be sure, there have been periods where Lincoln has powered their cars with superior engines to Cadillacs. I have to accept reality, begrudgingly or otherwise. Although I am not allowed to own Lincolns, I have occasionally had the pleasure of renting them when Cads were not available. Maybe in the 20 - 25 years ago time frame. Astonishing vehicles, and during the period when their Cadillac contemporaries were FWD, the conventional RWD Lincolns would have been the luxury car of choice for quite a few drivers. And rightfully so. I once put a mechanic friend of mine who pilots competition Porsche's behind the wheel of a new rent-a-Linc I had. He flat got it on. Very impressive. My 2002 STS was a ferocious performer, if you know how to fly FWD. But by now, Northstar engines have revealed their nasty little secret. That is why I put the ferocious performance of the '02 STS in past tense. I have owned a low mileage Ford Police Interceptor of about the same vintage as the STS. With that Lincoln OHC mill, and the trick suspension, you are talking about a screamin' deamon. All you young leadfoots out there ought to get a P.I. and push it hard. Interesting to see what they are pursuing you with. Anyone know if a Lincoln heart has ever been transplanted into a Cadillac ? Carl -

P.S.  I also must confess, (this being one of those occasions when honesty is solicited), a fondness for a 460 driving through a C6. 

P.P.S.  Now don't youse guys go running 'round CLC tellin' dem guys what I just wrote. Promise ?  I'm going to have enough trouble at those Pearly Gates for my heretical blasphemy. I have been told that St. Pete' and God both drive Cadillacs, and still hold shares in G.M. -   CC 

• Like 1

When that '38 60S was 20 years old my Dad would have said "What do you want that big ark for?" And he was probably pretty much on. 15 and 20 years later I would drive over to show him a 15 to 25 year old Buick I had picked up and he always marveled at how tight and solid and quiet it was. I miss that.

Years later I stopped at my Uncle Frank's with a bronze '66 Old Toronado. He said "You always have a nice "road" car". That was my Dutch Uncle who ran a body shop. My Dad told me they invented fiberglass around 1960 and Frank hasn't stopped smiling since.

Lots of car uncles when I was growing up. I'm trying to give my Nwphews the same sort of memories.

Bernie