Sign in to follow this  
B Jake Moran

1936 80C - $59K

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/d/henderson-1936-buick-roadmaster-phaeton/6877913451.html 

With much commentary regarding Earl's 39 Special convertible sedan, I found this one and thought it was interesting.  As far as I know, this is a CCCA "Full" Classic * (* never really cared for that term)  but as important it is a beautiful car in what I believe is Sequoia Cream or what passes for it in 1936.  I believe the dash is incorrect in body color - can an expert opine on that? Maybe convertibles were painted body color but my 1936 Roadmaster now owned by Joel Wilson was not body color to my knowledge. 

Beautiful car for $59K.  Or ? 

00P0P_hAaSDpZlmCl_1200x900.jpg

00f0f_4zVkzxJjxJb_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

Wonderful car. I like this body style best of the '36's.

Dash looks pretty bad; everything else is so tasteful, it must be wrong.

Front seat carpets???

I'm not positive about the '36s, but the '41 convertibles had body-colored dashboards. That is a lot of car for the money--one I'd much rather have than, say, a Packard at 40% more. And it is now a Full Classic, so it stands on equal footing with any of the big guys, no matter what they may think about its worthiness. More than a few of them in very expensive cars will surely be frustrated trying to keep up with the big Buick.

We traveled to the 1978 Buick National Meet (75th Anniversary) with a friend who brought his '36 Roadmaster convertible sedan just like this. This might even be it. All I remember from that entire trip (I was 7) is that when we came out the first morning, someone had stolen the divider bars and sidemount covers from the convertible sedan, and the service in our hotel restaurant was so slow that I fell asleep in my soup.

Great car and I don't find the price objectionable at all.

• Like 2

The '36 80C had a black Dash per factory specs. The shade is listed in my factory brochure. Also the instrument panel and glove box door was marbelized with a light gray woodgrain. I have many fond memories of traveling to Texas and purchasing a complete rustfree old restoration for $5000. And spending a 1/2 hour visit with B B King at a rest stop in Oklahoma. This was in 1982.  - Bob

• Like 2

Hi Bernie,  yes a lot of fun, but couldn't put it in storage and drive and show the Selden. All the cream 80C s had the green door saddles like Lucy's.   - Bob

I saw the green saddles and thought George Barris had his fingers in there, just a little personal touch.

We have been using Perry Rd or Silver Lake Rd on our southern rides. I miss twisting my head around to look in your yard. Is that '36 yours?

Bernie

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Seldenguy said:

The '36 80C had a black Dash per factory specs. The shade is listed in my factory brochure. Also the instrument panel and glove box door was marbelized with a light gray woodgrain.

Research during the restoration of my 1936 Century Convertible Coupe led me to the conclusion that the open cars had the dash painted the same colour as the body. The glove box lid and instrument cluster panel were both grey/woodgrain as described by Bob. If you look closely this advertised car has that so I think the dash is totally correct.

I agree with Suchan that this makes the dash look a bit odd so I opted to paint these 2 panels the same colour as rest of the dash ( and body colour ) which is Francis Cream.

I also didn't like the green door saddle trim ( which is factory correct ) and left that detail from my restoration.

1853624695_1strun005.thumb.JPG.0379a1c5f77495778161896b3da70ecb.JPG 

1st run 001.JPG

Edited by 50jetback
add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you Stuart.  I can not tell if the 80C in question has had what should be wood grain in a dark pattern - just painted black.  The more I look at it the more I find it OK.  But as you noted, it does not harmonize.  My 36 Roadmaster - and other series - as sedans they probably dominated production standards and then along came 1035 or so 80C's and other convertibles so they made them "racier"?  I like the green door saddle trim because it sets off the Francis Cream (thanks for confirming color) and gives it an optimistic Duesenberg appearance. 

This car appears to be the "real deal" and priced now at $57K, likely a serious cash offer in the 50K range could secure it.