1937hd45

American Pickers and the Madame X Cadillac

On 6/2/2019 at 4:36 PM, K8096 said:

If that Cadillac still has the original paint on it, I’d think it would be a good candidate for the preservation class at Pebble.  

I would be tempted to ask Pebble Beach Concours - it would allow you 2 x times to show it if they would say yes. 

On 5/28/2019 at 11:17 PM, edinmass said:

As to value, I wouldn’t pay anywhere near the numbers tossed around in the TV show.......not even close. If I was in love with it, my number would be 30k, and then it’s still too much. If offered to me at 20k right now, I would  pass on it. And I wouldn’t bother with the effort of restoring it................OK, now this is where everyone chimes in and dumps on me.......that’s fine. I stand by my analysis. I do wish the best to whoever ends up with the car, and I am sure they will be happy with it. I will be happy for them.

I will refrain from a number/price other than to say it is possibly an awkward car  (I think you would need the build sheet from General Motors Archive to figure out what you are really looking at here and hopefully some photos survive through history too - this is because there is a strong chance it started out as a 1930 and then was updated cosmetically to a 31 or is a body transplant to a 1931).   The downfall would be such as if it was a chassis driven into the ground and someone transplanted body to chassis outside of GM doing it (ex 1960's or ...).  I could see it higher on the unrestored side than Ed quoted if build sheet justified matched to being in showable "original" condition, but on the top range/restored range it is just not a V-16 and the V-8 cars just have a limited value in being a closed car (no matter how custom bodied a sedan they are).   All said though whoever does buy it ends up with a really interesting car one way or another.

6 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I would be tempted to ask Pebble Beach Concours - it would allow you 2 x times to show it if they would say yes. 

The Pickers at Pebble Beach..... Why did I just think of Rodney Dangerfield pulling up in a red Rolls-Royce.

Worse, I know something like this would be written into the script:

image.thumb.png.7deb76218a2fca12556e8def5b7f17f0.png

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

Picker is an old term in the antique business. I heard it at least 50 years ago. It used to mean a guy who went around buying choice items at auction sales, yard sales, estate sales etc that he could resell to an antique dealer. You might read a book called Cadillac Jack by Larry McMurtry for more details.

I thought Picker made X-ray machines. 

Surely Google can mount a Picker next to the camera on the roof of their Street View vehicles and X-ray every barn while taking pictures.  Imagine the story they would tell!!!

Craig

No offense to anyone, but Gas Monkey Garage took their Packard Rollston Roadster to Pebble Beach and yes the cigar windshield wiper needs to work and ... 

Update.......from the book of Fleetwood. 

6F17A942-EE7A-485E-BD3B-CB5341DCA891.jpeg

A14933A8-BCDB-4418-A0B7-B54D3D267B94.jpeg

• Like 1

I would like to see more of it, if the show does any follow-up. Or if it gets sold on to someone else.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, 60FlatTop said:

The Pickers at Pebble Beach..... Why did I just think of Rodney Dangerfield pulling up in a red Rolls-Royce.

Worse, I know something like this would be written into the script:

image.thumb.png.7deb76218a2fca12556e8def5b7f17f0.png

Thanks for the reminder about the use of wheel chocks:

Craig

Similar situation. I worked in NYC in Real Estate for 20 yrs. There were shows that would call us and asked if we had 2 houses they could use on their TV program . Apparently the buyers already bought a place, they needed us to offer  the 2 they never picked and rejected after the fact. 

Talk about unrealistic, what agent, or buyer for that matter, looks at just 3 homes and buys one of the 3 ? Really ?

Yes, it's all for the show!  Guess this was too.

On 5/28/2019 at 7:06 AM, Joe in Canada said:

The first 2 Madam X cars were built on a 314-B chassis that were also a V8 so I guess he got ripped off. Had to look this up as I did not know about Madam X on a V8 chassis. The story goes Harley Earl had one body removed and placed on a 16 chassis for the 1930  New York auto show. So that would leave only one Madam X with a V8 chassis still out there  but still not a 1931.  Chassis #336340 left the factory May 3, 1929 and #337668 that was shipped May 29, 1929 and so they should be traceable with these numbers.

30mmexb.jpg

The one they bought was #336340

Well the first 1 the they made car 1st 1 out the 2 had a v8 in it the second one had the v16 or b 16 whatever the motor but that one was custom built if u watch American pickers he talks about it they bought the first 1 for 90 grand and it was a v8

Now if you want to see a nice original car,  we will have at Hershey,  unless it sells first,  a 1931 Cadillac V-16 Blind Rear Quarter Limo with 9000 obviously original miles. It still has its inspection marks on the firewall, something I've never seen before.

• Like 1

Very low milage cars are more common than many people think. Unmolested cars are very, very rare. My 1914 Cadillac had 7100 miles on it, and every nut and bolt was from the factory, as well as the original points, condensers, coil, ect. After driving it for the first time in 60 years, the condensers failed in less than five miles, and the coil quit at 20. 

• Like 2