1937hd45

American Pickers and the Madame X Cadillac

All I know is in 1969 there was a legitimate Madame X for sale in the Hershey flea market for the outrageous sum of $5000. 

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

All I know is in 1969 there was a legitimate Madame X for sale in the Hershey flea market for the outrageous sum of $5000. 

Adjusted for inflation, you can buy one for half that today................

• Like 1

It’s funny how everyone has a different take on certain cars.  To me, the Pininfarina is a rather ugly car.  I much prefer the sweeping fenders of other cars to the motorcycle fenders.  The body seems too high and the cockpit cutouts above the doors seem all wrong for a car of this type.  I think it’s ungainly - in either color combination.  I’m sure others find it attractive, I don’t.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with Cadillac, but I do know a fair amount about Model A Ford's. When the "pickers" purchased that Model A, they paid way too much for it. Wrong color, reproduction grill shell and headlights, wrong interior and lot's of add on's  that screamed "don't buy me". It was later appraised at a couple grand less than they paid for it. Frank also punched a '40 Plymouth that was also appraised at a grand less than he paid. What Mike and Frank need is an automobile appraiser to advise them. On the other hand, when you are dealing with TV and advertising money and producers are throwing buckets of money at you, who cares how much they spend and loose.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

My favorite Caddy is the V16 Murphy. I would like to see a period picture of it.

image.png.0d1297ab162aa077ab8ff7a095cba036.png

My favorite is the Rollston coupe-roadster.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 11.16.04 AM.png

• Like 2

Call me old school.......I like my Caddies with Fleetwood Coachwork.  Guess I spent too much time with them in my youth. The few customs are all very nice, but to me it’s like looking at a Pierce Arrow without the fender lights. Just doesn’t seem right.

http://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/DRM28-29.HTM

Fleetwood (USA) The first Cadillacs to be designated Madame X were built on the 140-inch wheel base chassis of the Series 341-B (1929) with engine #336340 (shipped on May 5, 1929) and #337668 (shipped on May 29, 1929).  A copy of the factory record sheets for both cars still exist [the record for #337668 was published in SS, 2/96, p.4].  The latter car was a special order for Alfred P. Sloan Jr. The body colors of both units was Madeira maroon, code #20624, with black chassis, fenders and upper body molding; they had a roof covering of high grade long grain shiny black landau leather; the record does not show that they had a folding roof over the rear seat passengers (landaulette styling), although that appears obvious from the photo; the upholstery was done in Wiese pattern/sample #3021. Among other special features were a chrome-plated trunk rack, window frames and wheel spokes [six-wheel job with fender wells); the earlier of the two cars had the Buffalo wire wheels with 7.00/20" tires, whereas the later one had 7.00/18" tires which were not standard on Cadillac cars until 1931. The interior hardware was the standard Fleetwood issue but tinted to match the Madeira maroon body color and then chrome finished [information provided in part by Jim Schild of St. Louis, MO].

So #336340 had 20 inch wheels, others had 18 inch

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Call me old school.......I like my Caddies with Fleetwood Coachwork.  Guess I spent too much time with them in my youth. The few customs are all very nice, but to me it’s like looking at a Pierce Arrow without the fender lights. Just doesn’t seem right.

That's a weak argument! 😆

5 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

All i want for Christmas is a Cadillac V 16 roadster to restore ! 

Once you have all 16 valve seats cut and leak tested you can start on the other bank. Bob 

I appreciate "edinmass" taking the time to provide us with an expert's analysis of the OP car. I watched the show last night, and while naturally intrigued by a rare car I knew the TV "script" was largely hype/baloney, I was wondering just how much (if any)of the banter was expert knowledge, how much was fake script, and how much was Wikipedia drivel. The Packard Roadster was more interesting to me. As someone has said more than once on here, rare does not always mean valuable. When the picker said this is the "holy grail" of Cadillacs I thought he must not have seen many of the true "holy grail" models. Thanks Ed, I agree a figure somewhere under $30K would be about fair. As we all know, they script these shows well ahead of time. They probably spent 3-4 weeks discussing how they would value this car for entertainment purposes, and how they would "live negotiate" a selling price, including the last minute turnaround in the van to go back and seal the deal. Anyone who believes that is just how it happened, well.......there's one born every day.

• Like 3

Title of this thread is missing an "e" in "Madame."

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

how they would "live negotiate" a selling price, including the last minute turnaround in the van to go back and seal the deal.

Huh, I guess I shouldn't have changed the channel so soon. I rarely watch the stuff to the end. I have even tried with the sound muted and can't get through them.

Recently I did watch one car show to the end, though. I sat there in disbelief, mouth breathing and highly agitated to the end. It was about the restoration of a yellow Cord and the shop couldn't figure out how to make the clutch pedal start switch for the engine work. They put a push button under the dash! And showed the owner as if it was some stroke of brilliance on their part. I couldn't believe it.

My '60 Buick has a gas pedal start. If some shop couldn't make it work and put a push button or key start on MY car there would be hell to pay. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Every time I see a Cord for the rest of my life I will remember those clowns.

I had a similar situation with an unskilled transmission shop a few years ago. The shop was about 70 miles away and my car had been dropped off by my Nephew who lived near them. After a totally ignorant conversation with the owner I calmly put the phone down and called my Nephew. I gave him very explicit (including the language) instructions to take his car dolly to the shop. tell him he was there to pick up the car, and not say another word. I certainly handled it nothing like the poor owner on TV. He had to have been a paid actor with a script.

If someone put a pushbutton on a Cord I owned or even my Buick they would have got to shoot a scene reminiscent of an old Walker, Texas Ranger show.

Grrrrrrrrr, I know why I don't watch that stuff right now!

Bernie

Posted (edited)

Like the dash mounted push button starter buttons and left foot dimmer switchs, to each their own. 

Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

On 5/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, 1937hd45 said:

each their own. 

Not on a restoration, the way it worked originally or it is not right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Not on a restoration, the way it worked originally or it is not right.

My Car MY WAY, have me arrested if it bothers you so much. Bob 

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

My Car MY WAY, have me arrested if it bothers you so much. Bob 

Didn't Johnny Cash build one just like that?

I guess none of my cars are right.

But I'm having fun !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All this interesting back and forth has had someone call me, with a “real good” Cadillac find! Guess this thread does have some positive attributes after all! It’s a decent car.....at a fair price. Too bad I am past my Cadillac days of collecting. We will be sure to get the car to a collector who will appreciate it..........after all, it doesn’t have any windows!👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The money is made AFTER the pickers show, friend did real well the week after they featured the visit with them. 

Bob 

I have very limited TV channel availability. All the cable stuff is way too expensive in Canada. 

I have yet to see any of the car hobby related shows that are truly watchable. Most I find too painful to endure more than about 10 minutes of air time.

I don't know who the target audience is but from what I have seen I hope it isn't car hobby people otherwise we are in troubled waters.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2019 at 6:22 AM, edinmass said:

A Madam X would be a V-16, not a series 355A sedan. Go back and look to see if it has tool boxes in the splash pans, then it’s a 1930 if it’s an eight. If it has a single round light on the pan, it’s a V-12. Either way, if it’s not a 16, he paid too much. 

I had a fellow send me a picture eons ago of what looked to be a 1930 V-8 Madam X Close Coupled  sedan with a padded roof.  The fellow use to periodically post out on this forum and there was a picture of him sitting in car and I spotted the chrome window molding and asked.   Picture was bad quality and I do not know what became of photo, but car was unrestored or very older restored maroon and black - a nice original, but missing some items such as driver's spare wheel and ...  I would say it was this car - though certainly did not have any "gleam" to its finishes.  

Interestingly, car in Pickers photos the car looks to have been update to a 1931 (headlights, and hood sides, plus I am sure other features) at some point in its early life.

.1stmmx.jpg.8b67a8084eddebecbb38a4ea9fee1d0c.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If that Cadillac still has the original paint on it, I’d think it would be a good candidate for the preservation class at Pebble.  

On 5/28/2019 at 8:03 AM, edinmass said:

I commented based on the 1931 year as originally posted. Anything Earl built would NOT be considered "normal production" as well as the Fisher Brothers. There was one V-12 One Off Fleetwood Town Car with a Madam X body on it, as I was in my garage for five years. Originally built for a 16 chassis, and placed on a 31 V-12 at the end of the year, best guess was they were just using up all the left over stuff before the new 32 chassis came out and they couldn't be used or sold. Interestingly, there was paperwork that they cast three of the special windshields for this car, and apparently two somehow made it onto cars, the last remained in inventory. Like most high end cars, you have your normal production stuff, the special one off custom order, the semi custom batch orders, and then the "end of year get the junk out of the building before we can't sell it or use it" cars. There was a lot of the end of year get it gone stuff done.

My research on my 32’ Olds has shown that there are a few 6cyl cars out there with 8cyl bodies (indented firewall) on them. It seems they were using up all the bodies they could at the end of the production year.