Sign in to follow this  
John_Mc

Best way to get a non-running WA State car to Chicago or Milwaukee

I know of the usual methods of transporting a car over a long distance, but I hate to contact one of these companies because I will be bombarded with quotes for weeks!  I did put up listing here under transport services.......................is there some other way to do this that I might be missing?  The car is about 2,000 miles away and is basically a parts car so transport costs and very important.  Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

Transport costs are becoming very, very expensive. Parts cars that are not in your “back yard” become unobtainable due to shipping costs. The last two parts cars we purchased, we politely explained to the people the cars value to us in OUR yard, not theirs. And made an offer accordingly. It worked out over time........but many people still think the old junk in the garage/barn is priceless. Often times today, the fact is, no one will offer anything for it. The parts market has shifted as much as the car market. Many reproduction parts that were available for years are “out of stock” until they get enough orders.....which will probably never happen. Project cars are now parts cars, and so are most of the barn find units. Let’s face it, if you actually do want a project, why not start with a running and driving car.........at least that way it’s complete and you have an idea with what you are dealing with mechanically. As far as moving a car 2000 miles, I would post here in several of the most popular forums, and you may just get lucky to find a haul back for a reasonable price. Fuel, tolls, maintenance, hotels, restaurants,...........it’s staggering the cost of hauling things today. Add in a strong economy and then your going to find unless you can pay the “market rate” for moving it, it’s going to be quite a chore to find someone to do it who is safe, reliable, and affordable. Good luck with the move.......Ed

PS-  Be sure it has four tires holding air and the wheels are not locked up. Non running cars are often a deal breaker for many people to haul.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, edinmass said:

PS-  Be sure it has four tires holding air and the wheels are not locked up. Non running cars are often a deal breaker for many people to haul.

I would say critical, as a non-running is no easy task to get shipped - lucky to have a few friends that have bailed me out regarding problem moves (and those friends get more and more rare each year).

When my RR PI was picked up there was a derelict (and I mean derelict as in perhaps not one decent part on it) Jaguar SS and the only thing it had going for it was that it rolled on bare rims.

Does it roll?  As long as it rolls you won’t have too much trouble finding a shipper.

I shipped a non-roller from CA to KY.  That was a mess.  It was a parts car that was worth the price of transport.

Yes, it’s a roller.  All the replies have been great.  I might have to pass on this one as I’d have to get the cost down to around $.50 per mile and that’s probably not realistic.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Transport costs are becoming very, very expensive. Parts cars that are not in your “back yard” become unobtainable due to shipping costs. The last two parts cars we purchased, we politely explained to the people the cars value to us in OUR yard, not theirs. And made an offer accordingly. It worked out over time........but many people still think the old junk in the garage/barn is priceless. Often times today, the fact is, no one will offer anything for it. The parts market has shifted as much as the car market. Many reproduction parts that were available for years are “out of stock” until they get enough orders.....which will probably never happen. Project cars are now parts cars, and so are most of the barn find units. Let’s face it, if you actually do want a project, why not start with a running and driving car.........at least that way it’s complete and you have an idea with what you are dealing with mechanically. As far as moving a car 2000 miles, I would post here in several of the most popular forums, and you may just get lucky to find a haul back for a reasonable price. Fuel, tolls, maintenance, hotels, restaurants,...........it’s staggering the cost of hauling things today. Add in a strong economy and then your going to find unless you can pay the “market rate” for moving it, it’s going to be quite a chore to find someone to do it who is safe, reliable, and affordable. Good luck with the move.......Ed

Not looking for a project here but rather this car has some extremely rare options that I would utilize on another car 

You might try Trulyvintage, who advertises on the Commercial part of this forum.

uship is a great way to get competitive quotes but, you're right, 50¢ a mile isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Akstraw said:

You might try Trulyvintage, who advertises on the Commercial part of this forum.

Thanks

I would not buy that unless you are prepared to go get it yourself with an enclosed trailer.

That is a boat with no motor.

Most haulers do not have winches.

I am my way now - slowly - to Whitefish, Montana from St. Louis, Missouri with

a boat that has a motor ....

A 1966 Olds 4-4-2 Triple Black Hurst Edition Convertible.

0C1F7880-B3C6-47C0-89BC-E59C3E0394B2.jpeg.e3d9ed308e388383943f394478cf31b9.jpeg

I left last Friday - ended up taking Hwy 36 across Kansas into Nebraska - then Hwy 34 across Colorado.

Tornado watches - warnings - severe thunderstorm warnings the whole way.

Yesterday afternoon- a NOAA team passed me on Hwy 34 in Colorado - snorkel truck with gauges on a boom & big radar dish truck & two small black cars all together.

Had to to stop along Hwy 85 in Colorado

south of Cheyenne for tornado warning & watch & severe thunderstorm.

Then another big hailstorm - about  2 to 3 inches - Cheyenne had a 4 inch hailstorm a day or two earlier.

199B28E0-CA7D-4E67-A535-C935598CACA8.jpeg.8b28f166f21e9cf6fd477b856c919430.jpeg

Folks have no clue what is involved in transporting cars responsibly in adverse weather conditions .....

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Consider yourself lucky if you can get it hauled for $1 mile.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, cahartley said:

uship is a great way to get competitive quotes but, you're right, 50¢ a mile isn't going to happen.

In my experience, uship is a great way to get unrealistically low quotes from brokers who will never be able to find an actual trucker to pick the car up at the quoted price.  Every time I've tried to use uship (about six times in the last five years), I get half a dozen low-ball quotes. I select one, and weeks go by with no response.  Finally the broker contacts me and suggest that "sweetening" the offer will increase the odds of a pickup.  On those six shipments, three times I had to cancel the uship bids and just secure separate (more expensive) transport.  The other three times it ended up costing me 50% to 75% more than the initial low-ball bids.  Buyer beware.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You get what you pay for in this world. And 1.00 a mile for hauling a car today is just about impossible. Getting someone safe, responsible, experienced, and a good attitude is very, very difficult. With the crazy weather in the center of the country right now, all bets are off on pick up and delivery if you really care about you car and the shipper. All the big car moving names in the hobby are running at 100 percent. And, by the way, I would only use one of the big name companies. I recently shipped a car for a friend on one of the “big boys” shippers........a very, very, very expensive automobile. The driver didn’t know what the car was, or how to start it. Since he couldn’t drive a stick, I guess it didn’t matter he couldn’t start it. I drove it on the truck, and inside the box. He never bothered to use a chock block while lifting the car up.........I was flabbergasted. It was a surreal experience. They were planning on loading and unloading it several times before it reached its destination. On a 90 year old car that tips the scales at 5800 pounds, I made them change their load, and park the car in the belly to remain there for the entire trip. And I made arrangements for someone to meet the truck to unload it, as the drivers were so incompetent it was beyond belief. Lesson: Just because the company is big and charges a lot, doesn't mean the employees have a clue.............be careful when you ship any car.........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

fly in- rent a pickup one way and pull everything you want off for the day.

head on home.

15 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

In my experience, uship is a great way to get unrealistically low quotes from brokers who will never be able to find an actual trucker to pick the car up at the quoted price.  Every time I've tried to use uship (about six times in the last five years), I get half a dozen low-ball quotes. I select one, and weeks go by with no response.  Finally the broker contacts me and suggest that "sweetening" the offer will increase the odds of a pickup.  On those six shipments, three times I had to cancel the uship bids and just secure separate (more expensive) transport.  The other three times it ended up costing me 50% to 75% more than the initial low-ball bids.  Buyer beware.

I had the opposite experience on two experiences.

But I used the same hauler both times and he was not superb but considerably less expensive.

• Like 1

There may still be some Gypos out there.

I bought a non running parts car that was in Kansas several years ago. My offer was "delivered to Newberg Oregon"

The guy that brought it had an old mobile home chassis that would haul three cars at a time and a pick up that had to run better than it looked.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, mercer09 said:

head on home.

That is an interesting idea that I'd not thought of and I'll look into doing just that.

Yes the market has shifted.  I for years insisted on $1 a loaded mile.  Last year I got a barely running Buick Reatta delivered from NC to Iowa for $1300, a $1 a loaded mile but it was a side hustle business, uninsured, buyer beware type transaction.  You are just not going to do better than that. 

My days of buying long distance in the $1 a loaded mile range are likely over.  I have a friend with a 2500 Chevy and a nice trailer and he has picked up several of my cars over the years.  But I pay him more than a $1 a loaded mile, I come along usually, and buy him lunch or dinner! 

I like the fly in, rent a truck, pull parts idea if the parts are pullable.  Then you get to drive home through wonderful scenic America.

That is an interesting idea that I'd not thought of and I'll look into doing just that.

20. sawzall from Harbor freight, couple of hand tools and an extension cord.

Have done it several times............

Why not just rent a trailer as well?

Or buy one (might be a better deal).

Ive used uship 3-4x and exlnt results and cheap too!

I find it important to give good lead time for the hauler. Pricing ends up being better.

• Like 1

Beware of cheap transportation. When he abandons your car in East Bumfu.k, because the driver doesn't have the money to fix his truck and the local tow yard charges you $25 a day storage once you find it, you wish you had never bought the car.

• Like 2

Using any but the major transport companies I would want to know with absolute certainty that they carried insurance.  I'm betting many of the cheap haulers do not in fact have enough insurance to cover a total loss.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, mercer09 said:

head on home.

I had a guy do this to me. It was fairly local (about 15 miles).

We winched up the bent up hulk onto a trailer and dropped it in his yard.

I told his wife who was a bit upset to say the least that her husband has the title and can deal with it since he bought it.

I didn't sell parts, I sold the car.