1956 Plymouth TorqueFlite Transmission info

Hello Plymouth Members,

I am currently working on a "new" research project, and it is about the introduction of Chrysler Corporation's 4-Push Button dash mounted PowerFlite automatic 2-speed transmission shifter controls, which was first available in 1956 for all it divisional new car models (Chrysler, Imperial, DeSoto, Plymouth, and Dodge). Then in February 1956, Chrysler Corporation had announced another "new" automatic TorqueFlite transmission, what which a 3-speed unit with a 5-Push Button dash mounted transmission shifter controls, and it was first available for all of its "late" production 1956 divisional car models. 

Finally, I am trying to find any factory documentation (Ross Roy Data Book ?) or photos that shows a late production 1956 Plymouth model car with the TorqueFlite automatic transmission and also its 5-Push Button dash mounted transmission shifter controls. I was able to find factory documentation and photos on Chrysler Corporation's late 1956 production Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial, and DeSoto new car models, but nothing for the 1956 late production Plymouth models.

Thanks for any help given-Rick

I cant be of much help but will confirm that there indeed was two and three speeds in the 56 Imperial line up.

Mine was a late production with the three speed.

Kinda miss that car.

IM002164.JPG

IM002158.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Jack,

Many "thanks" for your info. and photos of your 1956 late production Imperial car model with the TorqueFlite automatic transmission and 5-push button transmission shifter contol. I was able to find thru my research factory documentation or photos of all of Chrysler Corporation's 1956 late production divisional car models having the TorqueFlite automatic transmissions, except for Plymouth late 1956 production models. I am hoping that one of the Plymouth members will be able to provide some factory documentation or photo showing that the TorqueFlite was also available for its late 1956 production car models, as well.

Thanks again for your contribution-Rick

On 5/27/2019 at 9:15 PM, electricalengineer1958 said:

Thanks plymouthcranbrook for your reply. I have also posted on the Plymouth Owners Club website, but unfortunately I have not gotten many replies yet ?

Thanks Rick 

The Forum does seem to be lightly used. I believe most have gravitated to the FaceBook page.

Thanks gain plymouthcranbrook for your reply. Although, I am not on Facebook or any other social media websites. I am probably only one of a few people today, that does not have a Facebook account and never had one. Although, maybe you could post this information on Plymouth's Facebook page for me ?

Thanks again for your reply and help-Rick

• 8 months later...

It has long been my understanding that the first Torqueflite went into a production Imperial in March of 1956.  Several late year '56 300Bs then also received Torqueflites.   But NO other '56 Chrysler products, not even New Yorkers had the new transmission available.

Now, of course,  torqueflites have been swapped into all other '56 Chrysler products by garages and by hobbyists and this includes into '56 pickup trucks.   Not difficult to do once the 5 button shift quadrant has been procured that is correct for the dashboard intended and also need the repositioning of the support crossmember.

I have a '56 Imperial limo that is perfectly well served by its Powerflite and have no intention of changing it.

Well, when it comes to swaps, my 1958 Plymouth Fury had the cast iron Torqueflite and when the powertrain got old, I swapped it over to a 1962 Chrysler 383 with the aluminum 727 transmission. The existing pushbuttons were not affected and everything fit in just as though the car had been built with the 350 B engine. Only modification was the transmission rear mount location.  Sadly, my parents gave the car away when I was living 3,000 miles away without asking me if I wanted to keep it.13CEA54A-40F8-4D0C-9E87-25CF1C1ADFC3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9d2afaa214690a15a1088366d08d4057.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Did that leave you without a parking brake?

Interesting that you would ask. As it was, the 1962 Chrysler did not have the "Park Lock" built into the 727 transmission, but still had the internal expanding hand brake mechanism.

That ended in '63 with the new body platform. If you remember, the 1962 was still much the same body as in the late 50s.  

So it was really an easy swap. I had been working in a DeSoto Plymouth Dealer and was in the USMC at the time. I did the swap while home on leave and drove back to MCAS Cherry Point with the Chrysler powered Fury.  I include a photo I found that looks virtually the same as my Fury. It pains me to see it and know that mine is gone, many years ago.34B6761C-9F27-4008-8838-2B6BB39D942B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1bca36986115d0d2fa8aa1624aa145e0.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, just for sport, here is a photo of "our" brand new 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door, with a young me standing in front.3D5984D8-8E77-4D07-A551-87001913740E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ceb3ea0c6e8030ca40bfc9778d98da3a.jpeg

It was the first year of the  'A' engine, the 277 CI with push button Powerflite.

• Like 1