Valve in downpipe?

TampaRiv

Hi again,  work is progressing well on my '63 Teal Mist. Thanks to all who have responded to my posts, the knowledge and advice has been extremely helpful and most appreciated. 

Today I had the car in the muffler shop, and they were removing the exhaust pipes from the two downpipes running rearward.   It turns out that one of the flanges on one downpipe was broken, and had been patched together.  So, a new replacement manifold is the next part to order.  BUT,  clearly visible inside the pipe near the flange was a butterfly valve, which was obviously corroded shut a long time ago. Apparently the last guy to touch the pipe cut about half of the butterfly out to keep the exhaust flow going.

SO, the questions are.......what was the function of this butterfly valve?;  and at this point is it necessary?;   and is this a part that can be sourced and replaced?  I plan to get a new exhaust manifold, so I don't know if that new/old manifold will include this valve. 

Thanks gents,

Rich

The butterfly valve in the passenger side exhaust manifold is part of the "heat riser" system that sends exhaust gasses up through the intake manifold on a cold engine.  This helps cold engine drivability by warming up the manifold directly under the carburetor.  See the shop manual for more information.

It is common for them to be frozen.  If you get a new '63 passenger side manifold, (it will be a good used part, not new) it should have this valve and a bimetallic coil spring that closes the valve when cold.

You really don't want to drive the car with this valve partially shut.  It sends a lot of hot exhaust gases up into the intake manifold, which will cause pinging really badly on a hot engine under load.  It also boils the fuel out of the carb when you shut the engine down.

With the warm weather that you have in Tampa, you don't really need this valve.  I cut mine completely out.

If you don't drive your car in cold weather, you can probably get away with out the butterfly valve.  There are two styles of right side exhaust manifolds. One with an integral valve and one with a separate valve that slios over the bolts and is sandwiched between the manifold and the exhaust pipe.  The manifold(s) for the 63 are different - they have a boss on them for attachment of the transmission dip stick tube that manifolds for engines with an ST400 do not have. Keep us updated.

Correct XframeFX - Buick never used gaskets on the exhaust manifolds, and they were bolted directly t the heads.

A "used" manifold should be checked for flatness with a steel strait edge, and can be resurfaced prior to reinstallation.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question on this valve on the exhaust manifold. Mine rattles really bad and I have tried just using some wire to essentially tie it into the resting position. Any idea if that resting position, with the weighted end down, has the valve open or closed? I think having it open is fine, we have really mild weather here in Seattle. But if I’ve wired it closed, I guess that would a problem!

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)

On 6/22/2019 at 9:13 AM, bodayguy said:

I have a question on this valve on the exhaust manifold. Mine rattles really bad and I have tried just using some wire to essentially tie it into the resting position. Any idea if that resting position, with the weighted end down, has the valve open or closed? I think having it open is fine, we have really mild weather here in Seattle. But if I’ve wired it closed, I guess that would a problem!

Attached a pic from manual for a 65 Riv ..think that’s what yr looking for?...

can you you send me a pic of how you wire it open?

cheers

kev

B75C039D-C1C2-4C47-B00A-F55354C88D13.jpeg

Edited by moran75 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, moran75 said:

Attached a pic from manual for a 65 Riv ..think that’s what yr looking for?...

can you you send me a pic of how you wire it open?

cheers

kev

B75C039D-C1C2-4C47-B00A-F55354C88D13.jpeg

Oh wow I have a repair manual, can’t believe I missed that section. I see now in another drawing that the piece is supposed to have an “anti-rattle spring” - clearly mine is gone!

I think based on the drawing I have the valve locked open, so that’s all good. Thank you!!

On 6/27/2019 at 8:19 AM, Garysriv said:

I cut mine out and put tiny freeze plugs in where the shaft went thru.  No problems to date.....

Ditto. I had the same thing done to my car. The shop where I take my car removed it and welded the the holes where the shaft went through shut as exhaust was leaking there adding to the the noise problem. No problems as well. 

Bill

P.S. I live in central Wisconsin. No problems with warm up under colder conditions in early spring or late fall.

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1