Fan Clutch or No Fan Clutch

MY64RIVIERA

Couple questions.  My 64' does not have a clutch for the fan.  I know I'm losing some horsepower at high rpms, but what was the standard option and should I consider putting a clutch in?  My car is originally a non-A/C car, but Vintage A/C has been added.  Which provides better cooling?

Thanks and happy motoring this great weekend!

Robert

Robert,

The factory used a 4 blade direct drive fan in non-AC applications.

When AC was specified a five blade fan with thermo clutch was used. Buick also installed a water pump with extra impellers in AC applications. There is also a difference in the diameter of the drive pulley in addition to an extra belt...and a high capacity alternator. Buick also installed a fan shroud to improve the efficiency of the 5 blade fan when in standing still/low speed situations like stop and go traffic....and a fuel vapor return line to prevent vapor lock in such situations. 

Personally, I would want the advantage of the factory AC modifications, or at least the most important ones depending on use and circumstances, if adding an AC system, but that is my opinion.

If you do decide to mimic the factory AC modifications I have all the parts you would need on hand. If interested please send a PM. Good luck!

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Tom,

Thanks...the Vintage Air was added by the previous owner and there is an electric fan in front of the radiator but they didn't add a fan shroud or clutch.  I haven't experienced any issues with over heating, but then again it hasn't gotten too hot here in central Ohio yet.  Radiator looks to be in good shape and possibly re-corded not too long ago.  I was just wondering if i should consider a clutch.  

Thanks,

Robert 

Chances are the electric fan is compensating for the lack of a shroud.  When you put a condenser in front of the radiator, natural air flow is impeded.  The shroud, and five blade fan concentrate and pull a lot more air through the radiator. There are even rubber strips that seal the space between the radiator and the radiator support.  All designed to pull as much air through the radiator as possible.  

Is your electric fan controlled thermally? 

41 minutes ago, MY64RIVIERA said:

Tom,

Thanks...the Vintage Air was added by the previous owner and there is an electric fan in front of the radiator but they didn't add a fan shroud or clutch.  I haven't experienced any issues with over heating, but then again it hasn't gotten too hot here in central Ohio yet.  Radiator looks to be in good shape and possibly re-corded not too long ago.  I was just wondering if i should consider a clutch.  

Thanks,

Robert 

Hi Robert,

Yes, the addition of the electric fan will definitely help compensate for the lack of components and when the car is not traveling fast enough to force airflow past the condensor/radiator. How much air it is moving I dont know..the only issue I see is that the electric fan is obviously not moving air across the entire cores, missing some of the cross flow tubes on the condensor and the outside down flow tubes if you still have the original downflow radiator. I would prefer to see smaller double fans in a side by side configuration and regulate them with different sensors so that the fans become stage 1 and stage 2 in operation, much like some modern cars.

I`d also like to see double belts on the alternator and AC compressor. With the electric fans you are increasing the electrical load, especially when using the high blower speed and the fans kick on, and when the pressures on the high side of the AC system climb in hot summer weather there is a significant load on the AC compressor.

Bottom line is how the system performs in extremely hot and humid weather, as that is when you need the system to perform at its best.

Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Interesting idler pulley for the a/c belt. Yours or a previous owner's idea.  Tom's suggestion of a double belt setup would allow you to get rid of that homemade pulley.

Edit: For you to install a double pulley setup, you'd need a different set of pulleys, crank and water pump, each with double groves.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gents, regarding clutch fan or not I say yes to the clutch fan. I have a 63 Riviera I keep as stock as humanly possible while using the best sense I have. My AC was not giving me the cold air I wanted while sitting in traffic or a long traffic signal. I have a stock AC system other than an electronic switch that replaces the STV. Tom Telesco suggested I put a severe duty clutch fan on my Riv to see if it would help  give me more cold air. The severe duty clutch fan is doing something that provides  cold air I want while sitting in traffic..

installation of the clutch fan was not too hard I just took my time. The cost of the severe duty clutch fan was around $60.00 and surprisingly made in USA. The difference is sound/noise level with new severe duty clutch fan is non existent.

Turbinator