'63 Riviera Firewall Bulkhead Grommet

XframeFX

Does anyone know if the 2.5" dia. Firewall grommet is re-produced? I ordered a "Large" version from Classic Industries last year. It's correct in shape but half the size. So, I'm re-using the old one. It is still flexible and in good shape but isn't pliable and forgiving like that new one that's too small. I tried everything, grommet on bulkhead 1st, grommet on firewall 1st, 2-man push/pull with a crowbar. I tried lathering it with the slipperiest goop I had. 57 years old is the problem.

I presented the grommet to Steele Rubber at a show last year wanting a fresh one. Did I know it was going to be impossible to re-use! They weren't interested molding a 1-off just for me.

DSC01757.JPG

I had the same problem, but a different place on the firewall of my 63. The place where 3 Freon hoses go through the firewall requires a grommet that is not be found. Well, surprisingly a used parts supplier had  the grommet.

The hoses are through the wall ok, I have to fit the grommet over the hoses or use dumb dumb ( black caulk) to fill the gap. Fortunately, the hole in the wall is very low.

Yes, the other grommets on the firewall aren't that great. But as you said Bob, a little dab of chaulk for those will suffice. However, this is a show stopper, The connectors will not stay on. I've run out of ideas. Either 1) Try to source another more forgiving grommet, 2) Find a way to mold a new grommet out of the old one.

Maybe if I can find out who molds that supposedly "large" grommet, I can persuade them to do a larger one for me. 

John B.

Guys, we restore and collect Rivieras. Theyre not as numerous or popular as the Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles, etc.  That being, there's really no market for a manufacturer to take on a piece that they might only sell a handful of.  Part of the fun of owning and restoring a Riviera is using your imagination and resources to come up with a part rather than opening a catalog, finding a part number, and giving someone your credit card number. Where's the adventure in that.  There are a number of guys who run ads in the Riview who part out Rivieras as a sideline business. It's time to reach out to them if/when you can't come up with something in your mind.

• Like 1

Depending on the form and composition of the grommet, you may be able to make your own.  You can make a cast from the original (assuming it's in reasonable shape), then mix up some goop and let it harden.  Not a production technique, but it may do for a one-off.

"Giving someone your credit card . . . ."  I couldn't agree more! Cross Border Shopping next door to Canada (Int'nl) is horrendous. No free shipping over $100 meaning the courier companies throw every imaginable fee and service charge at you. Then there's the government's attitude with their penalty duties, taxes after imposing their duties, all for not buying at home!

Images show the bulkhead not in-place.

I did buy a VytaFlex-30 molding kit today and will mold a copy before trying 1 more idea. Again brute force but with a little imagination thrown-in for good measure!

Oooh, that Riviera is so lucky to have me for an Owner.

Thanks for your feedback. That alone is encouragement.

John B.

DSC02326.JPG

DSC02328.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Success! The electrical bulkhead for the Riviera is "IN"

I was down to my last idea:

With the grommet in-place on the firewall,  I removed 3 connectors from the bulkhead and inserted 3 chunks of 5" long 6-32 ready-rod. I lathered-on more of the slipperiest goop I had and used a 5/16th deep socket to draw the bulkhead evenly across the 3 studs into that stubborn grommet.

What I learned with this setback? Never remove the electrical bulkhead from a 1st gen Riviera. Rather release the 12 individual connectors and 2 lugs from the bulkhead. It will be painful re-inserting those connectors but that grommet is much worse!

Image #1, ready for connectors

Image #2 shows under-dash side of the bulkhead after drawing it into the grommet before removing the 3 studs (2 studs showing).

DSC02377.JPG

DSC02367.JPG

• Like 1