"Barn Find Classics" (not mine but I know him)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/chatham-kent/barn-find-classic-cars/1431151302?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This hoard belongs to an 84 year old gent who has collected for years.He's near the Detroit border with Ontario. Literally tons of stuff. I was just down to see him on Monday.

Jim

6 minutes ago, dei said:

Jim,

Is this in Morpeth by chance?

Are there any late twenties Whippet parts you know of?

Doug

Yes,it's Jim O'Connor's stuff. He has a complete '29 Whippet coupe,but it needs the works.He parked it years ago when the tranny went out in it.A spare trans is sitting behind it. I don't know if there are any other parts, but imagine he would like to sell all the Whippet parts as a package. I didn't ask him individual prices but I think he would be very fair to deal with. The fifth photo of the ad shows the 1916 Chevy 490 roadster on the right and the Whippet coupe on the left.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I think a 29 is the bigger car / motor than my 28.

Might be worth a road trip though to see if he has any 4 cylinder motor parts as I've heard about his collection but never seen it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Lots of old cars but I did not see any "Classic Cars".

I was merely quoting the ad. He does have a 1936 Rolls Royce listed.

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

A Silver Shadow is pictured - seemingly innocent cars that are ravenous for pocket change and actually all your money for that matter.  A 36 may or may not be any better - just depends. 

There isn't a photo of the '36 Rolls and I didn't bother to climb in for a look.All I could see was that it has a slant back and that it's yellow !

My last two barn finds...........yes....from real barns....... 2 different cars a 29 Coupe, and a 30 Sedan. PA of course.......I have found much better finds.........but these are the two that I will admit to right now.....

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

My last two barn finds...........yes....from real barns....... 2 different cars a 29 Coupe, and a 30 Sedan. PA of course.......I have found much better finds.........but these are the two that I will admit to right now.....

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

Sweet Coupe !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

There isn't a photo of the '36 Rolls and I didn't bother to climb in for a look.All I could see was that it has a slant back and that it's yellow !

When someone says slant back it can actually be a very attractive cutting edge for the time car OR IT CAN BE A "D" BACK SEDAN that is better than boxcar school of design, but just about as common and attractive as Boxcars.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

When someone says slant back it can actually be a very attractive cutting edge for the time car OR IT CAN BE A "D" BACK SEDAN that is better than boxcar school of design, but just about as common and attractive as Boxcars.

I'm no fan of Rolls Royce cars and this example is one of the reasons why.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steveinky said:

"Copper Cooled Chevrolet" must be extremely rare.

Apparently there were seven built in 1920.This one was purchased at a Ford museum clearout.

I've purchased parts for pre war cars from Jim many times and even the occasional car.  He is a character, he is smart but doesn't act as if he is.  I tried to buy his curved dash Olds many times but was never successful, last I heard he was restoring it, which to me, meant it will be ruined.  Tons of parts and cars, poorly stored, expensive, but if you know what you are looking at then you will think you died and went to heaven.

Regards, Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Is the Pierce Arrow a before and after pair of photos of the same car?

No, two different cars........just photos that were easy to locate on my hard drive......both found in barns......real barns. You can see the barn is falling apart and has been condemned in the sedan photos, that’s why we got the call on the car. The Coupe was parked in 1954 in a barn northwest of Richmond. The Coupe was saved........we serviced it and put on some thirty year old used tires..........got it running great, and sold it at Hershey all within three months. Really didn’t make that much on it, but the adventure was priceless. The hunt and the kill.........AKA finding it and buying it...........nothing better. I have a bunch more of these that I would like to share, but often, very often, privacy and gentleman’s agreement means I can’t share them. 

Sometime in the future, I will post a few stories from years gone by on MAJOR LEAGUE cars pulled out of barns, pole barns, garages, and a chicken coupe. The stories just are not quite right for telling yet...........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

What about the rough one.  Did you just make that one a parts car, or sell it to somebody as a parts car or maybe even a project.  That wasn't Richmond, VA was it?  Finally, I visited a later Pierce Arrow sedan in horrible condition in a garage in south Baltimore about 20 years ago.  As I recall the owner had died and the house and garage were in a lawyer's hands to settle the estate.  I'm guessing it was a 1936.  There was also a lesser car in that garage....can't even remember what it was.  I was told the Pierce was sold to somebody in Baltimore.  Some years before there was a Pierce Arrow in a junkyard on the west side of Baltimore.  I think it was Gittings, but it might have the one who just got old and sold off his parts.  There were several good junkyards nearby back in the sixties with old cars in them.  All went away with either the building of the Baltimore circumferential highway (I-695) or for other reasons.  One the man got old and just had a big sale of all his old car parts.  These yards had lots and lots of both take-off stuff in bins, or NOS parts.

5 hours ago, cxgvd said:

I tried to buy his curved dash Olds many times but was never successful, last I heard he was restoring it, which to me, meant it will be ruined. 

Regards, Gary

His curved dash is being fitted with a Briggs and Stratton engine, early Model T wheels,and a 490 Chevy rear end modified for chain drive. He and some neighbours are building several more replicas to tool around in. Downtown Morpeth may soon be full of them !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2019 at 12:55 PM, J.H.Boland said:

His curved dash is being fitted with a Briggs and Stratton engine, early Model T wheels,and a 490 Chevy rear end modified for chain drive. He and some neighbours are building several more replicas to tool around in. Downtown Morpeth may soon be full of them !

As long as they stay away from Lakefront roads right now. Lake Erie hasn't been this high for over 50 years!

Looks to be a wet weekend again in S-W Ontario. It's this weekend  Steve Plunkett hosts Canada's biggest show. All I can say is thank you Mr. Plunkett for putting this on all these years!!

Philanthropist Steve Plunkett set to pull plug on Fleetwood Country Cruize-In

Updated: May 28, 2019

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I managed to be close to Morpeth yesterday and took a chance to stop in at Jim's. 

Had heard many stories about him and his collection and can see where some were true and some were embellished just by driving into his driveway.

Went to check out what he might have left of the 4 cylinder Whippet parts and  definitely will be coming back with numbers and a list of what I will need for my '28.

He says he sold the '29 Whippet coupe locally and '29 Whippet touring so has some room now to maneuver inside the dimly lit buildings.

You know he is a unique individual when there is a Cessna airplane sitting off to the side in his front yard that he apparently flew two years ago....

Says he's 84 years old!

I have one, but it is a warehouse find  - it has not seen the fresh air and sunshine in about 10 years ago and before that a few more and a few more before that ... - back to when restoration was started several owners ago in we believe 1969.  What is funny is when someone "discovers" it in the warehouse - no it is not lost, there are just other projects being worked on. 

68606697_10157743433417189_7260087334178127872_n.jpg

68846502_10157743433242189_3069422374068682752_n.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...
23 hours ago, packard1928 said:

What ever happened with the rough car.....  I did not see an answer to a previous question ???

Paul

It want to the junk yard in the sky, so others may live.............we cut it up for parts.

1 hour ago, dei said:

Ed, Are we talking about the same elderly gentleman that has passed?

He had a bad back when I was there last year but seemed to be handling it...

I dealt with the son. Never met his Dad. His Mom still has her white 88 Grand Marquis.

Nice folks. My brother and I also bought some of his die cast models.

I knew the owner and the car well, he was a happy member of the Kent Historic Auto Club.  Enjoy your new wheels, it should be a well sorted car.

Regards, Gary

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 7:32 AM, J.H.Boland said:

The owner of "Barn finds", Jim O'Connor, is not the same fellow that owned Ed's '62 Chevy.

Jim

No it wasn't. Out of respect for the original family I don't want to post that info.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:32 AM, J.H.Boland said:

The owner of "Barn finds", Jim O'Connor, is not the same fellow that owned Ed's '62 Chevy.

Jim

• Like 1