rageracing

34 PE clutch adjustment

Finally got my pedal assembly in the car and I have a new clutch and pressure plate assembly in the car.  I have an idea on how to adjust the pedal but I noticed that no matter how high I adjust the pedal, I can push the pedal down until it hits something to stop.  Seems surprising to me.  Also the pedals have the heavy rubber bumper, does that go on the I side or outside of the firewall?

I am assuming this is similar/same as the '33 Plymouth as 33-34 Plymouth and Dodge shared a lot of mechanical designs.

First, you should get a copy of the factory service manual. 1934 was the first year for that and you should be happy they made one and that there are (or were last I checked) people printing reproductions. Mine is a photocopy and the images are not good enough to scan. I'll quote from the Plymouth Maintenance Manual (First Edition, January 1934):

There are only two adjustments that can be made on the clutch (Refer to Figs. 501 and 501A). The first is for pedal location. The clutch pedal stop screw (9) should be adjusted to locate the pedal as high as possible without interference with the floor board. The only other adjustment is for clutch pedal free movement. This is secured by adjusting the clutch release fork lever set screw (22, Fig 501 and 19 Fig 501-A) so as to leave 1 1/8" (28.6 mm.) free travel of he clutch pedal measured a the pedal pad, before any resistance can be felt. This free pedal travel must be maintained to insure proper clearance between the clutch release bearing and the clutch release levers.

• Like 1

Ok, I have it adjusted that way.  At 6'4" I was hoping I could drop the pedal down to make it easier.  I will install the floor board tomorrow and I assume if the pedal goes to the floor the clutch should be plenty released.  

The thick rubber piece is what I'm guessing should be on the outside of the floor board?  Also I need the clutch release fork lever lock (388055) and spring pull back bracket (600915).  Any ideas where I could find those?

20190523_215450.jpg

Post a picture of the bracket, I may have one, also I’m looking for throw out bearing spring, return spring, thanks

9 hours ago, rageracing said:

The thick rubber piece is what I'm guessing should be on the outside of the floor board?

Yes, the draft pads go outside the floor board. Not sure why you have two on that (each a different style). I believe only one is needed and the one near the top looks like the correct one to me.

are you having trouble getting the peddle to open the pressure Plate ?????     plates also have an adjustment    if you study a picture you will understand how it works      as with other aspects of old car restoration     you just have to LOOK and see just what is going      there are three screws around the pressure plate what ever you do adjust the three the same        E mail me and we can talk      bobnroman@yahoo.com 

I need 19 and 23.  I got the pedal and floorboards in.  I have them adjusted what I believe is correct.  The standard pedal adjustment is 1 1/8" at the top.  Is that to where the throwout bearing bearing first contacts the fingers?  The book says before resistance so that is how I took it.  The issue I have is being 6'4" with long legs, I have a hard time getting my foot on the pedals.  My knee gets stuck between the door and steering wheel.  I need to get them lower if possible 

20190530_215155.jpg

Edited by rageracing (see edit history)

The area behind the front seat is pretty generous in a sedan and if all else fails maybe the seat track could be relocated further back to provide adequate leg room.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:56 PM, rageracing said:

I need 19 and 23.  I got the pedal and floorboards in.  I have them adjusted what I believe is correct.  The standard pedal adjustment is 1 1/8" at the top.  Is that to where the throwout bearing bearing first contacts the fingers?  The book says before resistance so that is how I took it.  The issue I have is being 6'4" with long legs, I have a hard time getting my foot on the pedals.  My knee gets stuck between the door and steering wheel.  I need to get them lower if possible 

20190530_215155.jpgI may have I may have both of them if your still looking, get back to me, thanks

Edited by knobless (see edit history)