68 riviera sucking in washer fluid

hcaliber

Hey, proud new owner of 68 Riviera! 

In process of trying to find out were all my washer fluid goes after a cruize i found...

washer pump assembly has 3 ports...bigger center one connects to tank, one outer connects to jets and other tees into vaccuum supply...no check valves anywere...testing the pump both outer ports discharge puffs of air (just testing dry)...if i suck on the were vaccuum supply connects to pump assembly i get washer fluid in my mouth from tbe resivoir...soo apperantly my car is thirsty.

What am i missing? was this hooked up incorrectly from previous owner? do i need a check valve somwere or is my pump piston assembly faulty?... i cant find any hose diagram online. 

Thanks

GM cars of that era, I have only seen the large pump port connected to the reservoir, and the two smaller ports connected to a squirter nozzle (one per port).

Sounds like someone did not have a vacuum hose diagram. 

On the plus side, you now have a Turbo Rocket Fluid injector  system! 😀

(ala 1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire turbo V-8 methanol injection tank).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

haha yup.. no carbon here! 

I was curious about the configuration to...makes no sense...i may have to pull it apart. so the piston alone is enough to pull fluid from resivoir without aid of vaccuum?... i tryed that configuration to but without check valve any fluid lifted from resivoir would just drain back..

You can suck up water from a depth of 32 feet at sea level. That is the limit, as atmospheric pressure is actually pushing the water up to the pump (at 14.7 psi). So, no, vacuum helper is not needed on GM cars with the typical piston pump on the windshield wiper motor.

The check valves are inside the pump. The black square in this picture:

https://www.amazon.com/Anco-6106-Washer-Pump/dp/B0009IK6CU/ref=asc_df_B0009IK6CU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=331754389630&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10656883598819141811&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008199&hvtargid=pla-828919765912&psc=1

• Like 1

Google 1968 Buick Riviera Vacuum Diagram. I found one I could read before I went to the website, where I was asked to join.👍