Economy gauge for my ‘38 Special

Hi all,

always liked the look of these vacuum economy gauges and had one in a ‘40 Pontiac.

Bought one recently at a country swap and want to use it in my ‘38 Special. Suggestions as to where would be the best place to tap into the vacuum source. Mine has electric wipers so no vacuum pump there. Buick shoulda had one as an optional extra bit can’t see it listed.

any help would be appreciated 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

370EF188-DB7B-4856-8CA5-3CB41042AE1B.jpeg

7 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

Whoever took out the vacuum wipers (to install the electric) had to close off the vacuum someplace. On the '40 special the vacuum source was the top of the fuel pump, not sure about '38.

Are the vacuum wipers any good with that vacuum pump providing the vacuum?

7 hours ago, Jack Worstell said:

???    Your electric wipers....are they 12V or 6V   or  ?

Jack Worstell

Hi Jack,

6 volt. Yes, I was surprised to find them electric, but my 40 Pontiac was electric 6V too! Have seen the 6V wiper motors at swap meets,. AUS$200.00 for NOS and around AUS$50.00 to $80.00 for a second hand unit that was untested! If interested happy to stick the IPad under there for photos. You may want to start a seperate post. JLMK.

Rodney

Whoever took out the vacuum wipers (to install the electric) had to close off the vacuum someplace. On the '40 special the vacuum source was the top of the fuel pump, not sure about '38.

I thought that too, but the fuel pump does not have a vacuum pump attached ( which is where I thought the vacuum came from)

6 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

"38's have a vacuum port on the intake manifold just to the rear of the carb. A perfect place for a vacuum tap.

Don, thank you. Will have a look and see if I can locate the port. Many thanks and will report back. Gotta find a suitable holder so I can mount it ( suppose I could cut a hole in the dash somewhere or stick it in place of the clock) ☹️☹️☹️☹️

Just kidding, it will be fitted neatly under the dash somewhere 😀😀😀😀😀

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Whoever took out the vacuum wipers (to install the electric) had to close off the vacuum some place. On the '40 special the vacuum source was the top of the fuel pump, not sure about '38.

7 hours ago, Jack Worstell said:

???    Your electric wipers....are they 12V or 6V   or  ?

Jack Worstell

Australian built Buick's of that era had electric wipers from the factory.  GHM used a 6V Bosch wiper motor

• Haha 1

AMC was the last company to equip cars with that &^&%*% vacuum wiper. We had a '65 Rambler with that horrible fluke of American engineering.

I got a 12V electric wiper on my 6V 1940 Buick. I got it from Bob's who says "caution it's 12V" but you can ignore the warning because it works great on 6V cars. 12V motors on 6V cars just run slower, so what? You plan on running the car in a rain storm? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Australian built Buick's of that era had electric wipers from the factory.  GHM used a 6V Bosch wiper motor

Hi, the two I saw at Naracoorte swap meet were branded NASCO. Interesting that we led the way with electric wipers in ‘38 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Rodney

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

AMC was the last company to equip cars with that &^&%*% vacuum wiper. We had a '65 Rambler with that horrible fluke of American engineering.

Yup, I had one too in High School. Piece of junk, and so were the wipers! At a stop light a cloud of smoke would envelop the car. Kept the mosquitoes away, though.

Cheers, Dave

On 5/22/2019 at 6:37 PM, Morgan Wright said:

My daughters '65 Classic wipers work perfectly - vacuum of course - even when accelerating (albeit slowly with the 199 c.i. 6). My experience (all with Buick's other than the above Rambler) is that they work pretty well provided the motor is well lubricated (pretty easy job to open up and grease things up) but when the grease hardens they do not work worth a "plug nickel" (whatever that means!) 😊

• 1 month later...

I got a nice 6 volt to 12 volt converter.   About $30 usd.    I have a 35-58 and was going to keep the 6 volt system.   This converter was for those things that required 12v to work.   Changed my mind and I’m going 12 volt.    I did that on my ‘38-46s and did not look back.    So if you have enough output from your generator,  using the converter will work.    Just remember when using a converter,  as a reference - 5 amps of 6 volts will only give you 2.5 amps of 12 volts.     If you really want  ( ? ) to keep a 6 volt system,  get a 6 volt alternator that will give you up to around 60 amps.   (Use the three wire design - it will give you full 7.2 volts at Idle when you hook up the sensing wire to a point / source behind the dash. ).   Been there, done that.   Paint the alternator black and most people will not know the difference.