Sign in to follow this  
nick8086

Looking to take a road trip next year..

A day on Catalina Island is well worth a visit, take a Jeep tour, we had a great guide, learned a lot. La Barea Tar pits are just down the street from the Petersen Collection. Bob 

On 5/23/2019 at 2:08 AM, edinmass said:

Anybody traveling to Mexico today hast to have their head examined.  The Caribbean and Mexico are no longer safe.  Read the state department travel guidelines.  There’s a drug war going on and a lot of people are getting caught in the crossfire.  

Nothing personal, Ed, but I think it is a shame that Mexico has been given such a negative image by the US press. That country is starving for the tourist dollar, mainly due to negative press reports in the US. Sure, it can be a bit edgy in places, mainly near the US border, but statistically, US cities are more dangerous than those in Mexico. We spoke to many Americans living up against the Mexican border, and almost without exception they were afraid to go over and visit, due to the press reports. All views were here-say.  And if you read the state department travel guidelines, you wouldn't go far from home. (The same applies here in Aus).

We found it a really interesting culture, and the most friendly folk you would care to meet anywhere. Many of them beseeched us to spread the word in the States, as their tourism industry was in such a bad way. We refused the armed convoys close to the Texas border, due to their high speeds, and did our own thing, travelling in our old motor-home. Of the few other motor-home travellers that we met, NONE were from the nearest northern neighbour. All from Canada or from Europe. US citizens were conspicuous by their absence. Now, I wonder why that is!

Apologies, nick8086, for getting off topic, but I couldn't let the misconception pass.

Posted (edited)

Acapulco is a slaughter house.....so too Puerto Vallarta...........so is Mexico City..........it's sad to say, but the country is now a toilet. Would you like the name of an American who's wife was kidnapped and murdered for ransom? I see him several times a year at car shows.............maybe a trip to Egypt or Damascus...........I don't like lead in my diet....or my body..........I'll pass on them now.........Been there, done that. I was in Honduras for the riots.......that wasn't much fun...........especially for us gringos.

As far as American city more dangerous than Mexico..............not even close.......they murder Mexican police by the hundreds.......

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Be sure to stop just north of Hearst Castle to see the Sea Lions that swim down from Alaska. The Winchester House was really interesting to see last year. Bob 

Posted (edited)

The sea lions are great..........I remember when there were only a few to be seen.......now the entire beach is covered with them. Don’t forget to stand up wind! 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The sea lions are great..........I remember when there were only a few to be seen.......now the entire beach is covered with them. Don’t forget to stand down wind! 

Oh sure, blame the hard working Sea Lions for that San Francisco breeze. 

• Like 1

About 5 years ago I looked in to this.. Catalina Island.

It is near long beach..

So much to see . I will only have 7 days.. for the trip.. 

I will pass the info on to the wife..

19 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I think you mean 1 rather than 101.  You should also check road conditions, as a section was closed due to storm damage.  The road is patrolled, and they will pull over looky-loos to let backed up cars pass.

FWIW, I know a guy who made it down PCH from Carmel to Santa Barbara in something like 3 hours,  It can be done. ;) 

I think in Oregon its 101 all the way.

I am easily confused.

Most of California has hwy 1, the 101 fwy, and the I-5 fwy. The hwy 1 and 101 converge in Leggett. Up further at Eureka the 101 becomes the hwy that follows the coast.

Map.JPG

Or Castroville........the artichoke capital of the world.

• Like 1

The garlic ice cream wasn't that special, stopped in Castroville too on the way back to Burbank. think that is were I saw a '56 Ford sedan delivery in a dusty lot. Bob 

Posted (edited)

What is going on in California . I got 5 emails.. to not go to sfo..

Los angles has the " Typhus,” he said. “A medieval disease. In California. In 2019.”

I plan to go anyway..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, nick8086 said:

What is going on in California . I got 5 emails.. to not go to sfo..

Los angles has the " Typhus,” he said. “A medieval disease. In California. In 2019.”

I plan to go anyway..

Interesting that I hadn't heard of this. I guess it hasn't hit the front page of the LA Times or OC Register. Or I missed it if it did.

Apparently 9 people have come down with it so far this year in an area of over 10 million people. About the same odds as being injured or killed by lightning in any given year.  I'll make a note to avoid making contact with pets and wild life that are infected with fleas, that should improve my chances.