Looking to take a road trip next year..

nick8086

Land in sfo  drive to san. 

I looking for great place to see and stay..

or eat..

What is on the list is :

Alcatraz Island

Hurst castle

1954 kaiser darrin  sold in 1955.

coronado island

fly home..

It is nuts some hotel are already sold out..  a year out..

San Francisco was my favorite city on the west coast for years, during a visit last year, I can confirm it’s a messy  trash heap and a public sewer. Don’t bother...........wait till it cleans up. Even the moon bats are getting tired of it. Nothing like seeing thousands of homeless shooting up in public. Is a very sad situation for the City by the Bay.

PS - There is an APP for your phone showing the human waste on the sidewalks and parking lots in real time so you don't step in it, Bombay and Calcutta were cleaner.......and more pleasant.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take the beautiful scenic cruise along the coast on Highway 1 south from Carmel (where Clint Eastwood used to be mayor) down to Malibu in the LA area. While in LA visit Hollywood not only to see the stars on the sidewalk but also some unusual people who hang around there. You can get on a bus and take a tour of the stars' homes if you're into that. If you like baseball go to a Dodgers game in LA, an Angels game in Anaheim or a Padres game in San Diego. While in Anaheim you may want to visit Disneyland but go early and plan on spending the whole day there since you'll be paying over $100 per adult to get in.

When in San Diego check out the zoo in Balboa Park and the Wild Animal Park near Escondido and of course the Hotel Del Coronado. If you decide to cross the border into Tijuana MAKE SURE you walk across and leave your car in the US. You can take the trolley (small commuter train) from downtown to the border if you want. Mount Laguna is a beautiful area less than an hour east from downtown on I-8 at an elevation of 6000 feet. 

If you want a great burger stop at In-N-Out Burger. They're all over SoCal. Ever had a fish taco? Check out Rubio's in San Diego. There are several of them and their food is excellent.

There's obviously a lot more to do in SoCal but these are a few ideas to get you started. Good luck and have fun.... :)

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

Anybody traveling to Mexico today hast to have their head examined.  The Caribbean and Mexico are no longer safe.  Read the state department travel guidelines.  There’s a drug war going on and a lot of people are getting caught in the crossfire.  I agree on the drive up the coast along the Pacific Highway.  It’s a great country and endless opportunities to see great things here. 

• Like 1

I was watching an older cop movie a while back and they were driving on this curving, surreal looking bridge with curves and darkened decks. It looked like something from that Robin Williams Popeye movie. I wondered, where the heck is that place? Turned out the be the Oakland Bay Bridge. I never saw anything built like that. I would just have to get a look at that.

I second edinmass' recommendation. Do NOT go to Tijuana. It was dangerous 10 years ago and is even more so today. There's nothing to see.

I would recommend a visit to Morro Bay on your way from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Very nice bay with a nice ocean breeze, otters at the north end, and many interesting shops and eateries. 

• Like 1

Morro Bay is fantastic....as is Pismo Beach........I'll be in Morro in two weeks for the ACD West Coast tour........only have one day to visit, as the San Marino Classic is the same weekend, and we will have a car on display. 

8 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Hearst castle is a MUST SEE!

Second that! Visited at twilight/early evening, guided tour and players from local theatre company recreating the "ambience" of the time/place.

The run very early the next morning up the coast, almost deserted highway except for dodging some deer, was magical. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JACK M said:

Hey Nick, You need to jump in that Darrin and make the loop.

Quite a few people on here that I would like to put a face to.

The darrin is going to a museum. I just need the paper work before i give them the car.. 

My goal is to drive Highway 1 . I did it in 1985.. San to SFO..

Madonna inn is on the list..

On 5/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, keiser31 said:

If you get north of California, stop by our place for a visit in southern Oregon. It's about 6 hours north of San Francisco.

I would love to stop bye.. It is not in the cards.. next year..

It is hard to talk every one in to a stop on a trip.. But I want to see a studio darrin in person..

This place is in the list of things to do

https://www.mcmenamins.com/stay

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you go to the Nethercutt.........make reservations well ahead for the tour.......and right down the road is..... The Huntington Museum. It's the best museum in the Western Hemisphere..........and there are no cars............

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, JACK M said:

One thing about 101.

You cant be in a hurry, its a long and winding road. (mostly) But scenic for sure.

I think you mean 1 rather than 101.  You should also check road conditions, as a section was closed due to storm damage.  The road is patrolled, and they will pull over looky-loos to let backed up cars pass.

FWIW, I know a guy who made it down PCH from Carmel to Santa Barbara in something like 3 hours,  It can be done. ;) 

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I think you mean 1 rather than 101.  You should also check road conditions, as a section was closed due to storm damage.  The road is patrolled, and they will pull over looky-loos to let backed up cars pass.

FWIW, I know a guy who made it down PCH from Carmel to Santa Barbara in something like 3 hours,  It can be done. ;) 

Yes, US-101 is four lane divided with 65 MPH speed limit between Salinas and Santa Barbara (70 MPH between King City and San Miguel). CA-1 is a bit longer and quite a bit slower.

Don't recall the various speed limits (faster south of San Simeon) but you should plan on something like 30 MPH with being caught behind slow drivers, etc. Driving straight through from Carmel to San Simeon (about 90 miles) is probably about 3 hours. Starting a little north of San Simeon and running on down to meet US-101 in San Luis Obispo it is mostly 55 MPH.

Lots of good places to stop and sight see on the way. Lunch at Nepenthe near Big Sur is pricy and sometimes slow but the view from the patio is worth it.

There are several state parks along the way and the entry fee receipt for one is honored at all the others. So if you like to stretch your legs a bit you can stop at each park as you go down the road. Not sure if the park receipt for Andrew Molera, Ffeiffer Big Sur, Julia Pfieffer Burns, and Limekiln is good at Hearst Castle. Probably not, and each tour there has a fee. Worth it though if you've never been.

You can check for closures, etc. at http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi?roadnumber=1&submit=Search At present it is open but that can be quickly subject to change.

I've done that trip a number of times each way in my '33 and it makes for a nice drive. Heading south puts you on the ocean side with a bit better views. Be warned that cell phone coverage can be spotty so you may have to resort to old fashioned methods (sending for help, etc.) if you have mechanical problems.

Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be in a car with the fellow that made it from Carmel to Santa Barbara in 3 hours. :( If you really want to be in Santa Barbara in 3 hours, cut inland to US-101 and take the freeway. CA-1 is really for poking along and enjoying the view. :)

All that said, I think that US-101 along the Oregon Coast is every bit as good as and probably better drive and scenery than California 1 down Big Sur. It just doesn't seem to get the press. Maybe that is a good thing.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:36 AM, edinmass said:

San Francisco was my favorite city on the west coast for years, during a visit last year, I can confirm it’s a messy  trash heap and a public sewer. Don’t bother...........wait till it cleans up. Even the moon bats are getting tired of it. Nothing like seeing thousands of homeless shooting up in public. Is a very sad situation for the City by the Bay.

PS - There is an APP for your phone showing the human waste on the sidewalks and parking lots in real time so you don't step in it, Bombay and Calcutta were cleaner.......and more pleasant.

We drove across the Golden Gate Bridge just to say we did, no need to get any closer to the inner city. Odd that a closed Federal Prison is their  featured tourist attraction. 

Bob 

On 5/23/2019 at 2:08 AM, edinmass said:

Anybody traveling to Mexico today hast to have their head examined.  The Caribbean and Mexico are no longer safe.  Read the state department travel guidelines.  There’s a drug war going on and a lot of people are getting caught in the crossfire.  

Nothing personal, Ed, but I think it is a shame that Mexico has been given such a negative image by the US press. That country is starving for the tourist dollar, mainly due to negative press reports in the US. Sure, it can be a bit edgy in places, mainly near the US border, but statistically, US cities are more dangerous than those in Mexico. We spoke to many Americans living up against the Mexican border, and almost without exception they were afraid to go over and visit, due to the press reports. All views were here-say.  And if you read the state department travel guidelines, you wouldn't go far from home. (The same applies here in Aus).

We found it a really interesting culture, and the most friendly folk you would care to meet anywhere. Many of them beseeched us to spread the word in the States, as their tourism industry was in such a bad way. We refused the armed convoys close to the Texas border, due to their high speeds, and did our own thing, travelling in our old motor-home. Of the few other motor-home travellers that we met, NONE were from the nearest northern neighbour. All from Canada or from Europe. US citizens were conspicuous by their absence. Now, I wonder why that is!

Apologies, nick8086, for getting off topic, but I couldn't let the misconception pass.

Acapulco is a slaughter house.....so too Puerto Vallarta...........so is Mexico City..........it's sad to say, but the country is now a toilet. Would you like the name of an American who's wife was kidnapped and murdered for ransom? I see him several times a year at car shows.............maybe a trip to Egypt or Damascus...........I don't like lead in my diet....or my body..........I'll pass on them now.........Been there, done that. I was in Honduras for the riots.......that wasn't much fun...........especially for us gringos.

As far as American city more dangerous than Mexico..............not even close.......they murder Mexican police by the hundreds.......

The sea lions are great..........I remember when there were only a few to be seen.......now the entire beach is covered with them. Don’t forget to stand up wind! 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The sea lions are great..........I remember when there were only a few to be seen.......now the entire beach is covered with them. Don’t forget to stand down wind! 

Oh sure, blame the hard working Sea Lions for that San Francisco breeze. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I think in Oregon its 101 all the way.

I am easily confused.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nick8086 said:

What is going on in California . I got 5 emails.. to not go to sfo..

Los angles has the " Typhus,” he said. “A medieval disease. In California. In 2019.”

I plan to go anyway..

Interesting that I hadn't heard of this. I guess it hasn't hit the front page of the LA Times or OC Register. Or I missed it if it did.

Apparently 9 people have come down with it so far this year in an area of over 10 million people. About the same odds as being injured or killed by lightning in any given year.  I'll make a note to avoid making contact with pets and wild life that are infected with fleas, that should improve my chances.