Sign in to follow this  
babychadwick

1938 Zephyr rear end

What similarities are there between the Zephyr and Ford rear end?  Yesterday I was driving, a bang and then free wheeling, after towing home (a couple blocks) if placed in gear there is a grinding sound in the left rear hub.  I will be tearing into it soon and most likely looking for parts.

Posted (edited)

Hi Chad,  sounds like it may have broken an axle. That  happened  to my 38 LZ. about 4 years back. Jack the left wheel up, give it a shake, see if it wobbles and falls off.
Can be due to worn axle  tapper, due to loose  nut and  or worn bearing housing sleeve. The sleeve has a grease nipple and should be regularly greased. The sleeve   can be replaced. Check the under side of sleeve for wear. 
Similarities?  The 36,37 LZ. . rear end is similar to Ford I believe  but from 38 the housings where heavier and  the gear wheel / pinion was  Hypoid. The axles are the same as Ford as much as I can tell.  Roy

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)

The design is similar, but except for the 36 LZ, there are very few parts that interchange with the Ford rear end. The axles for the 36-39 LZ is 86H-4235 indicating that there is a difference between it and the Ford axle. I don't have the specs for the LZ axles.

Here are the dimensions of the Ford V-8 axles:

18-4235 (1932-1934)  length 32.18" with an 18 tooth gear.

48-4235 (1935-1938) length 32.85" with an 18 tooth gear.

81A-4235 (1939-1941) length 32.85" with a 16 tooth gear

21A-4235 (1942-1948) length 33.70" with a 16 tooth gear

Posted (edited)

Yes, it seems its just a matter of matching your axle length and number of spur gear teeth with a Ford axle from the thirties.  The broken axle  that came out of  my 38 LZ. and the one I replaced it with both  had FORD stamped on them but no part  number visible.  

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)