Sign in to follow this  
bodayguy

Installing a new fan shroud - 64 Riv

The fan shroud was missing from my car, although it has the backet and the lower resting hooks for one. So I bought reproduction one. Time to install.

Seems the best idea is to remove the fan blades. Yes? Any advice there, which bolts to go for, etc.

fanblades.JPG

Posted (edited)

You will need to remove the fan but be prepared to remove the clutch as well.

PS - While you're in there, take a look at that fuel hose as well.

Edited by RivNut
PS (see edit history)

Before you pull the fan (remove the fan and clutch together), you might as well check to make sure the fan clutch is working properly.  Because it's a lot easier to get to now than it will be with the shroud in place.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Before you pull the fan (remove the fan and clutch together), you might as well check to make sure the fan clutch is working properly.  Because it's a lot easier to get to now than it will be with the shroud in place.

You bring up an interesting point. How do you test a fan clutch to see if it is functioning correctly?

Rich,

I fully agree with Ed as far as that fuel line hose goes. It's pretty close to the alt. belt.  BEFORE you remove the fan & clutch assembly see IF there is ANY play/sloppiness in the clutch by just grabbing the fan blade & give it a wiggle.  IF it moves at ALL side-side it needs replacing.  Replace the clutch, IF needed, with a thermal clutch the one with the spring in the center.  I almost ALWAYS use a H/D clutch from an early Chev. pick-up with a 454 & A/C.  If you need the part number I can supply or even get the part for you. ALSO before loosening the belts loosen the nuts holding the clutch to the pulley's.  After the shroud is installed to mount the fan what I usually do is get one nut/bolt started & snugged up a little. Then turn around facing the wall & install the other three.   Snug them all up, install the belts & adjust, now you can finish tightening the nuts.

DON'T FORGET TO TIGHTEN THE NUTS!!!!

Tom T.

• Like 1

Fan clutch's are cheap, just go on rockauto and buy one. For the couple bucks, it's worth it to not have to think about it. FYI, the aftermarket shrouds are mixed quality. Be prepared to elongate the bottom hook holes and the top adjustment slot.  I have had to do it to the last 3 bought.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I did indeed go ahead and order a new fan clutch just to be safe. It wobbles a teeny amount. And yeah, Dave, I can already see the shroud holes will need some "customizing" to fit.