Dash Light Too Dim--LED?

TampaRiv

This picture, taken from the 1963 chassis service manual, might help. I haven't touch the cover yet although it is on my to do list for a future AC job. The chassis and body manuals are something everyone should get as they have so much valuable information.

file-10.png

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

There are some locating hooks that need to be released.

4 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

This picture, taken from the 1963 chassis service manual, might help

The chassis and body manuals are something everyone should get

@SwedeDownUnderR63

yes…everyone with a Riv should own the service manual. I have one too. These books are great. But it sure didn’t help tell me what I learned the hard way…(read my reply to RivNut)

@RivNut

I thought the same thing about the “locating hooks” when after removing the screws at the front of dash my dash would NOT budge. In my case, my hooks did need some persuasion to release. After that first time my dash now almost jumps off with a one finger tug when front screws are removed. 

What I learned is that a little spray lube may have been all I needed on the locating hooks for them to play nice. 

• 4 years later...
7 hours ago, atencioee said:

Are there compatible LEDs that are dim-able?

Most are dimmable but, a with pulse width modulation (PWM Controller). So no, only want integrated control on the light switch or nothing. No desire to have a separate knob.

The rheostats on the light switch doesn't have the range.

https://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Transformer-Dimmer/Controller/Modules/M171-PWM-Power-control-9-28-V-DC-max-10-A.php

image.png.800efeb14b08282fa7ae58560fc3032a.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Most are dimmable but, a with pulse width modulation (PWM Controller). So no, only want control on the light switch or nothing. No desire to have a separate knob.

The rheostats on the light switch doesn't have the range.

https://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Transformer-Dimmer/Controller/Modules/M171-PWM-Power-control-9-28-V-DC-max-10-A.php

image.png.800efeb14b08282fa7ae58560fc3032a.png

If that's the case, maybe I'll replace the illumination bulbs (which are dimmed by the knob) with the same type of bulb, which I think is a 161 🤔. Currently, I'm not getting much light from those... can't see the panel well in the dark.

This is not the only forum to discuss LED instrrument panel cluster light replacements.  Many of the other posts laud the increased brightness of the LEDs vs their prior lights (usually 194s or similar).  Few discuss how dimmable the bulbs might be and how much range of dimming is available, though.

A FEW side issues.  As clean as the "behind the dash" section of the vehicle should be, fine dust can migrate there over time.  Just cleaning out the reflectors and tube/directors can make a bigger difference than suspected.

Several years ago, the dash lights on my 2000 Impala appeared to be dimmer than normal, so I had the charging system checked.  It was normal.  Then I started to take eye health supplements and a month later, thsoe issues were gone.  Something which comes with advancing age!

When I was driving my '77 Camaro all of the time, when the alternator was getting weak, the dash gauge lights would get dim.  That's how I determined it was time for another alternator (ACDelco).

Also, with time, bright-light existence beside dimmer areas makes the dimmer area basically "black".  IF the instrument panel lights are too powerful at night, it might well reduce the ability to see darkness past the base of the windshield, for some.  This is something yiu'll probably not notice until it is too late!  Not to mention after you've paid the credit card bill.

End result, to me . . . pull the cluster out and clean it (as you would anyway) and then replace the bulbs with normal, OEM-spec bulbs, wiping the ends of them before pushing them into their sockets, plus afterward too, if possible.  That should put things back into "as produced" condition.  Check the battery terminals for cleanliness, as well as a full charging system check, for good measure.  Plus voltage drop through the bulkhead connector's terminals.

Perhaps I'm a bit frugal, but spending $1 for a bulb, rather than much more for any LED, is a much better financial deal, to me.

NTX5467

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The dim cluster lighting issue on my '65 was solved by replacing the headlight switch. 

The rheostat on the old switch wasn't giving enough current to provide maximum brightness to the cluster lighting when the knob was turned fully to the right, to a position just before when the interior lights come on.

After I replaced the headlight switch, cluster brightness was noticeably improved. 

The stock incandescent lighting in our cars was fully adequate when the vehicles were new, and old people with weaker eyes drove back then too!

• Like 4

Before you replace your headlight switch, try the trick of running a pencil eraser over the copper coil of the rheostat to remove oxidation. 

This might current flow enough to  increase the brightness of the cluster lighting.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Before you replace your headlight switch, try the trick of running a pencil eraser over the copper coil of the rheostat to remove oxidation. 

This might current flow enough to  increase the brightness of the cluster lighting.

A pencil eraser also works to polish the circuit board contact surface for the twist in bulb sockets and the plug fingers.

On 6/25/2023 at 2:56 PM, NTX5467 said:

Perhaps I'm a bit frugal

Frugal is one of the trigger words for me. My first thought is "and what kind of restaurant condiments do you have in your pockets".

The other top ones are "She has a very nice personality" and "He really is a very intelligent person".

On 6/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, atencioee said:

If that's the case, maybe I'll replace the illumination bulbs (which are dimmed by the knob) with the same type of bulb, which I think is a 161 🤔. Currently, I'm not getting much light from those... can't see the panel well in the dark.

Mine dim just fine.

Come visit me and we can go for a joy ride at night. I will show you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Frugal is one of the trigger words for me. My first thought is "and what kind of restaurant condiments do you have in your pockets".

The places I patronize these days have the condiments in glass bottles rather than packets.  They would look a bit flaky poking out of my pants pockets.  Nor do I take any plastic bags with me either!  The ONLY packets I might accumulate come from drive-thru hamburger places, which is ketchup.  I don't request any "sauces" with the Mexican food drive-thru items.

To me, "cheapskate" does not consider the value of the items, whereas "frugal" does.  Usually end up with the same result, just a bit of other consideration before going with the "best value" than the "least expensive".

I hope everybody enjoyed July 4th this year!

NTX5467

• Like 2