Recommended Posts

Hello again gents,

 

   My dash lights are too dim, and Jim C. tells me that there has been some discussion about LED bulbs available.   Can anyone speak on the availability of LED bulbs, and specifically how many are required for the 63 Riviera, and more specifically where to obtain them, and how to install them?   Those big gauges would look so great if illuminated brightly.  My headlight switch is new, but still the gauge lights are too dim.

 

Thanks guys,

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Swede, I emailed those guys.  Sounds like a great solution to the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to keep the slightly yellow glow of the original bulbs, get warm white.  IMHO, cool white (5000+K) are glaring and unnatural.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TampaRiv said:

Hello again gents,

 

   My dash lights are too dim, and Jim C. tells me that there has been some discussion about LED bulbs available.   Can anyone speak on the availability of LED bulbs, and specifically how many are required for the 63 Riviera, and more specifically where to obtain them, and how to install them?   Those big gauges would look so great if illuminated brightly.  My headlight switch is new, but still the gauge lights are too dim.

 

Thanks guys,

 

Rich

Rich, I changed all my interior lights out to LED. There is a LED that is Amber color that mimics the original soft lighting, but brighter. I left the glove box light incandescent. Jim Cannon mentioned he increased his incandescent lighting by one candle power.

The best of my knowledge there is no LED bulb kit for the 63 Riviera. I’m happy to be wrong. Those little devils can get pricey. In the case of LED. Lighting I would stick with one company that supplies your whole set. If something doesn’t fit and it happens you want to be able to return the wrong LED.

I had the idea of putting LED in my tail lights. My tail lights shorted themselves out. I put back the incandescent 1157 in metal bulb sockets I grounded to the body. Lights work fine. I tried LED  in the cornering lights. I could not get the LEDs to fit. Now all my problems could very well be my lack of experience in auto mechanic efforts. 

Its probably easier to take the dash off to get to the lights for the HVAC panel lights. If you remove the A PILLAR skins the dash won’t have the edges scraped. It was a hassle for me, but Zi like to be able to see at night.

turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have never been able to get LED bulbs to work in the tails or corners. However I would love to do the dash! If you find a solution let us know.

 

I converted the shifter plate bulb to a tiny LED strip and it works fine (maybe too bright even). I just bought a generic strip at the auto parts store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I looked at the link from the post and this is what they're recommending for a tail light bulb.  Ain't gonna' fit, brother.  They recommed a 194 and you need an 1157.  Totally different kinds of bulbs.  Caveat Emptor.

 

194-nwhp5.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I looked at the link from the post and this is what they're recommending for a tail light bulb.  Ain't gonna' fit, brother.  They recommed a 194 and you need an 1157.  Totally different kinds of bulbs.  Caveat Emptor.

 

194-nwhp5.jpg

Hi Ed,

i don’t know what you looked at. this is for the tail, installed successfully on my ‘63.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-light-bulb/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-bulb/2625/5698/?year=1963&make=14&model=1380&scc_id=1445

 

I also bought a flasher for LED. Search for 372451495059 on eBay.

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed ALL LED's on a customers '63 Riv.  & they ALL worked except the cornering lights, which were not available in the proper size.  I did try the 1056 bulbs in the cornering lights, but they really weren't bright enough.   Customer supplied all the lights. He went for Blue lights for the dash & they were dim-able.  I thought they looked SO COOL!!!!  & they WERE BRIGHTER.           

LED's ONLY go on/in one way.  There is a positive & a negative. IF a bulb doesn't work try turning it around. I kept running into the problem  of lights not working & was told that they ARE sensitive as far as positive & negative & not working & was told to turn them around. Appeared to work every time.

 

Tom T.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Hi Ed,

i don’t know what you looked at. this is for the tail, installed successfully on my ‘63.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-light-bulb/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-bulb/2625/5698/?year=1963&make=14&model=1380&scc_id=1445

 

I also bought a flasher for LED. Search for 372451495059 on eBay.

That one looks correct. 

 

I typed in "1964 Buick Riviera" and followed the guide to what I posted.  Perhaps I should have just looked for bulbs by number.

 

When you installed your new bulbs, did you do anything to redo the reflective surfaces?

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RivNut said:

That one looks correct. 

 

I typed in "1964 Buick Riviera" and followed the guide to what I posted.  Perhaps I should have just looked for bulbs by number.

 

When you installed your new bulbs, did you do anything to redo the reflective surfaces?

 

Ed

I didn’t do anything with the surfaces as they were OK.

i did have a problem with the front turn signals as they were a little bit to large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Rich, I changed all my interior lights out to LED. There is a LED that is Amber color that mimics the original soft lighting, but brighter. I left the glove box light incandescent. Jim Cannon mentioned he increased his incandescent lighting by one candle power.

The best of my knowledge there is no LED bulb kit for the 63 Riviera. I’m happy to be wrong. Those little devils can get pricey. In the case of LED. Lighting I would stick with one company that supplies your whole set. If something doesn’t fit and it happens you want to be able to return the wrong LED.

I had the idea of putting LED in my tail lights. My tail lights shorted themselves out. I put back the incandescent 1157 in metal bulb sockets I grounded to the body. Lights work fine. I tried LED  in the cornering lights. I could not get the LEDs to fit. Now all my problems could very well be my lack of experience in auto mechanic efforts. 

Its probably easier to take the dash off to get to the lights for the HVAC panel lights. If you remove the A PILLAR skins the dash won’t have the edges scraped. It was a hassle for me, but Zi like to be able to see at night.

turbinator

 

I'm thinking of going to LEDs in the instruments.

 

Who did you buy the LEDs from?  What part number or equivalent bulb number did you order for the instrument lights?

 

You said you chose amber color.  Those look really yellow (orange) on the websites I have seen.  How orange does it look in the car? 

 

Buick put a blue finish inside the instrument panel so that the yellow-ish bulbs combined with it to look green-ish in the dash.  Perhaps the warm-white LEDs would mimic that?  I'd like to replicate that.  Perhaps use green LEDs?  Too green?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put amber lights in the dash once.  They were orange; I couldn't get them out fast enough.  Tried the same thing with blue bulbs, with the same conclusion.

 

IMHO, if you want that softer, slightly yellow look from an LED, get warm white (~3500K).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Where dash lamps mount on a circuit board you can clean the contact area with a pencil eraser to get the contact back. On other body lights I use a long piece of #14 wire with two alligator clips to make a home run to the negative post of the battery for a test of the ground. It is usually the ground.

 

No one paid $4,000-$5,00 of 1960's money and drove home in a new car with dim dash or interior lights.

 

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, telriv said:

they were dim-able

What brand or seller has dim-able LED's? I put cool whites in my 68 instrument cluster. They are not dim-able.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

What brand or seller has dim-able LED's? I put cool whites in my 68 instrument cluster. They are not dim-able.

 

SuperbrightLEDS sells all versions. And some are smart with internal circuitry allowing reversal of poles in-socket. (They are diodes) You should read the specs for each model.

Be warned: with old school dimmers and voltage regulators most LEDs pulse while the car is at low RPM / idle regardless of battery charge.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 1:30 AM, bodayguy said:

I also have never been able to get LED bulbs to work in the tails or corners. However I would love to do the dash! If you find a solution let us know.

 

I converted the shifter plate bulb to a tiny LED strip and it works fine (maybe too bright even). I just bought a generic strip at the auto parts store.

Superbrights are smart enough to do the conversion from incandescent to LED. The Service manual has a list of all the bulbs, there ID number/letters and where they are located.

Turbinator

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, Jim Cannon said:

 

I'm thinking of going to LEDs in the instruments.

 

Who did you buy the LEDs from?  What part number or equivalent bulb number did you order for the instrument lights?

 

You said you chose amber color.  Those look really yellow (orange) on the websites I have seen.  How orange does it look in the car? 

 

Buick put a blue finish inside the instrument panel so that the yellow-ish bulbs combined with it to look green-ish in the dash.  Perhaps the warm-white LEDs would mimic that?  I'd like to replicate that.  Perhaps use green LEDs?  Too green?

 

 

Superbrights because they have s good website, price point options, and good delivery. They have a warm white lighting choice which I believe creates and softer welcoming touch. I chose bright white LED’s for the interior. The instrument panel lights up to my satisfaction. Courtesy lights, sail lights are very good.

the HVAC panel lights are better with the LED’s but not great. My radio light is out, but my clock works and so does the light in the clocK! Also, I have a 1963 Buick accessory book that tells my 1963 Dinsmore Compass is Buick Engineer approved. The tiny incandescent light shines in the compass at night.

On color choice of the LED’s you can mix and match or just keep what you have. When it comes to car bulb color choice  you can pick what you want,we live a free country.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the nice things about LED's is that they DON'T produce ANY heat. Unlike incandescent bulbs which create heat.  I've seen the plastic melted on the back of dash bulbs going from one candle power to two candlepower.  Same with trunk lights, under-hood lights, interior lights when you leave  doors open, hood open  etc. while working on the car for whatever reason they usually WON'T kill the battery.  

They do have some advantages over incandescent s.   Just wish the choices were more clearly explained.

 

Tom T.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

thoroughly recommend the conversion, my ‘63 dash has never looked so bright. And a chance to clean up the dust from 60 odd years too! Should be a post somewhere on here what was done.

 

And also did the led conversion on the shifter lighting as recommended by  Schmiddy which come up a treat too!

 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

 

C48B88F2-8926-494E-AC95-4A0584499BEC.png

16DABB26-8DF2-4DC6-9FCB-1BE826A5CD26.png

E5439174-B186-4C85-8452-1A4D54761174.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodney, I've been looking into these LEDs a bit more.

 

Did you put a red LED in the "hot light" position and green LED in the "cold light" position?  To accentuate the color?

 

Did you use the LED replacement bulbs with a single surface-mounted LED chip on the end?  Especially for the indicator lights?

 

Or one of the replacement bulbs that has 5 LED chips mounted on it (end and sides)?

 

Anyone else who has done this want to chime in with what they used?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone, I converted over to LEDs and am very happy with the improvement.

The list is from the Nov 2017 Australian RIVIEW which I think Rodney Beauchamp was the primary author.

All LED codes are from Super Bright LEDs.

One correction needed to the list, otherwise every LED fitted nice.

I know that LEDs are not OEM but the original bulbs just are not bright enough for safe driving at night.

Also I don't like all that heat on the PC board and you will never change lamps again (Hopefully)

 

I am sure George Moon would approve!  (GM interior designer of 1st Gen Rivs)

 

Cheers

Tom Kunek

ROA BCA

 

LED Codes.jpg

Edited by TKRIV
Correct Spelling (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the exterior bulbs??  Did you use any of those??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

Rodney, I've been looking into these LEDs a bit more.

 

Did you put a red LED in the "hot light" position and green LED in the "cold light" position?  To accentuate the color?

 

Did you use the LED replacement bulbs with a single surface-mounted LED chip on the end?  Especially for the indicator lights?

 

Or one of the replacement bulbs that has 5 LED chips mounted on it (end and sides)?

 

Anyone else who has done this want to chime in with what they used?

 

 

Jim, I put in all white light LEDS from Superbright in my instrument panel, courtesy light, sail lights... I left the bulb in the end of the console alone. The bulb in the glove box I left alone. I did change out the trunk incandescent to LED. The LED lights for reasons unbeknownst to me did not fit in the cornering light bulb fitment. I tried 1157 LED substitutes in my tail lights and the LEDS FAIKED after a short period. I went on you tube and fellow demonstrated why the LED lights in vintage car taillights fail. I put back the incandescent bulbs in the tail light bulb metal bulb socket  ( which is grounded to the body ) and success.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All, I changed all 194 dash illumination with Cool-White 4 surface mount forward facing LEDs purchased from Kwik-Wire at a show. The narrow spectrum looks trick and dims well. The clock being a C9 bayonet base I left incandescent . . for now. However, I did pop a C9 bulb and soldered-in one of those 194 LEDs because that was the final touch to my Delco AM/FM restoration while I had it out. This bulb would be a big pain to change later. A big improvement with that fluorescent radio dial, can see it in daylight as well. I left all idiot lights incandescent.

Rodney, if you have your instrument cluster apart, try sounding the horn. All my LEDs flash momentarily with the horn! Yours will likely do the same as we have twins, My Riviera is a white '63 with red leather interior as well!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...