What did you drive on your first date?

32 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Wow those must be pretty rare today.  Did it have the big and little conestoga wagon wheels? ;)  You know it's all about the stance. 

The car I really don’t remember too much............the young lady and the police officer coming down the new subdivision road while parked behind a storage tractor trailer in a rather exposed position.........I remember well. Interestingly, after almost 34 years, I bumped into her again in a restaurant bar..............with my current lady of 20 years..........I had told her about the situation years ago........and she had a big smile on her face when she figured out it was the “girl from the story”.  It was an interesting evening!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

My boyfriend had a Chevy van and he almost tipped it over coming down a steep and curvy mountain road! 😱 He was going too fast. 

You were brave getting into a Chevy van anyway!  Did it have shag carpet in it?

My first date that involved an automobile was when my Dad dropped me and my date off at the movie theater in his 61 Plymouth Valient.  A few months later, when I got my license I got to use it often.  When I went to college, I had a 63 Studebaker Lark, It was so rusty thanks to Michigan roads the seat rocked when you stepped on the gas.  Painted brown, mixed with Michigan rust, it was affectionately known as "the turd."  That girlfriend put up with a lot!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

You were brave getting into a Chevy van anyway!  Did it have shag carpet in it?

My first date that involved an automobile was when my Dad dropped me and my date off at the movie theater in his 61 Plymouth Valient.  A few months later, when I got my license I got to use it often.  When I went to college, I had a 63 Studebaker Lark, It was so rusty thanks to Michigan roads the seat rocked when you stepped on the gas.  Painted brown, mixed with Michigan rust, it was affectionately known as "the turd."  That girlfriend put up with a lot!

Terry

Friends of mine Dad provided them with a Mercury Comet, AKA the Vomit.  Ugly and slow is a great combination for teeenagers.  I'm sure their Dad was laughing every time they pulled out in it.  Got wrecked eventually.  

• Like 1

71 Camaro, not a bad ride for a 16 year old in 1980.... 😊

My pal Tom down the street was restoring a 59 Tbird with his dad.  He liked this girl who lived a few houses down.  The car was pretty well done by the time we were both around15.  So Tom and I would drive around the block in front of her house about 50 times a day after school.  I guess he was waiting for her to throw herself in the car...  well his dad found out, smacked him a bit and started taking the rotor out of the distributor.  End of problem.  Tom and Anita dated for years but I lost touch with them both after HS.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1st date ever, my parents 60 Studebaker Lark wagon.      1st date with my 1st wife, my 63 1/2 Falcon Futura.     1st date  with my "now" wife, my 61 Falcon Ranchero street driven gasser looking truck.  (straight axle and slicks).    Married my "now" wife by driving my 56 Studebaker Sky Hawk with a HUGE hole in the floor in July of 75 around North Alabama trying to find some place that would marry us.  It worked, still have her, ha !  

• Like 2

Many prior dates before getting drivers license and car insurance, but-

First date in my own car was in 1959 in my Red 1949 Pontiac convertible, straight-Eight flathead and three-on-the-tree.

• Like 1

I remember the fist date I ever had in my 1936 Dodge Brothers D2 Touring sedan when I was 17 years old. My girlfriend and I went out to a local lake one evening and I parked where we had a terrific view of the lake. We "talked" and "stuff" and sort of dozed off. We woke up a while later and the car was surrounded by water. I never thought a small lake would rise with the tide. Luckily, I was able to actually drive it out in reverse, but it was scary.

File0554.jpg.915323d9c9c847534ddf80fb8a08c0a8.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I remember the fist date I ever had in my 1936 Dodge Brothers D2 Touring sedan when I was 17 years old. My girlfriend and I went out to a local lake one evening and I parked where we had a terrific view of the lake. We "talked" and "stuff" and sort of dozed off. We woke up a while later and the car was surrounded by water. I never thought a small lake would rise with the tide. Luckily, I was able to actually drive it out in reverse, but it was scary.

Everly brothers sang about it:
Wake up Little Suzy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Marty....yep. The same story, only real.

Watching Submarine Races at the Jersey Shore,

or on Lake Hopatcong-

been there,

done that,

explain to her dad...

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I can't recall whether it was my '58 Limited in 1971...

1181955507_1958BuickLimited-January11971-brokenujoint-pic1-copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.4b4321412d97e12959e21c3faa668f86.jpg

or Dad's '51 Nash.

Ives-Slides_928.thumb.jpg.616db61106169242cc4cb63abaab7cff.jpg

I do remember telling her about the seat folding back to make a bed and don't think she went in the car a second time.

Still have the car. (not that same girl)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Reminds me of the tv show "Auto Biography"

One episode tells of a cop testing some new sonar and finding TWO cars with people in them twelve feet deep off of a boat ramp.

Turns out the two are not related but both happened within a year of each other about forty years ago.

Its a relatively new show on the Motor Trend channel.

To add to the truck side of the list....1978 Ford F150 Extended Cab.Only had 2 seat belts in it, drivers side and the one in the middle of the bench seat.... always had to have her sit right beside me. If I was with my buddies ..sorry you got no seat belt.

• Like 1

My first date after receiving my drivers license at the age of 16 I drove my 1959 Pontiac Catalina, a 389" four bolt main  420"A" Tri-Power with a 4 speed HD Super HydraMatic with a 3.08 Posi for the street, and 3.90 and 4.10 Posi for drag racing depending on track conditions.

It's funny that when I was 14 years old I received my IHRA drag racing license also in that 59 Catalina!

• Like 2

First date was literally on horses! We went for a ride

my first date in a car was a double date in my buddy’s mother’s 60 Comet. He hated  to drive so I did all the driving, I didn’t have a license. 

First date with with my wife of 49 years was a 62 Tbird. 

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

The first date I went on with my car was in 1971 in a 1964 Plymouth Belvedere 4-door sedan with a 318-ci V-8 and pushbutton automatic transmission.  Also used it for my first job--delivered a lot of Little Caesar's pizzas with that car.  (And I made good money doing it--not many other legal ways a teenager could make $100-$125 in cash on a Friday or Saturday night in 1971/1972.  Of course, gas was only about 36-cents/gallon then.)