Two more Carfax questions please

just me

I could be wrong but I can assure you that I will be corrected if I am wrong.  I am astounded how many knowledgeable people will help.  That said, Carfax will not have information of damage and/or repair if the insurance co does not report it.  I was rear ended by an underaged driver in an off road golf cart.  They paid to fix the bumper & it never got on Carfax.  I have used Carfax for the last 3 cars I purchased, none with undisclosed damage. If it is totaled by the insurance company, I skip the car.

My father owned a reposition business for banks & those vehicles were usually not well taken care of.  Most were sold at auction & carried a discounted value.  I bought one from a bank that needed repaired.  Price formula = wholesale price - 20% - retail repair value - condition value.

CarFax only knows  what is reported to the system. Dealers, large body shops, insurance companies, they typically report. Local mom-and-pop shops, individually-owned small body shops, etc. often do not. CarFax is a reasonable window into the car's ownership history, as all the transfers of ownership are also reported. Mileage is not really a sure thing, since I've had multiple low-mileage cars where someone at some shop or DMV or emissions inspection recorded an incorrect reading or even assumed that, say, a 1986 car with 12,000 miles has to have 112,000 miles and entered it that way. Sometimes they fix it later, sometimes not, so look for abnormalities--say, going from 12,000 miles to 120,000 miles in two years. The logical explanation is usually the correct one, not that someone rolled back an odometer or committed fraud. Just someone entering the data incorrectly.

I wouldn't worry about a late-model car that has been purchased at auction--all used cars purchased through a dealership probably have been through an auction. When people trade cars in, that dealer doesn't necessarily keep that car to sell himself, and often sends it to an auction. Banks and dealerships with cars coming in off lease send them to auction. There are three weekly used car auctions local to me that, as a dealer, I have access to and it's where all the local dealers acquire new used car inventory. Very common, nothing shady, and not an indicator that the car is a problem. Just the normal workings of the second-hand late-model car market.

• Like 3

I bought a certified used Jeep SUV  a few years ago and have been very pleased with it. One problem during that time that was fixed quickly. It was off lease and it was explained to me that the dealers only select the best of the batch to certify  Seems to make sense to me and with the extended warranty seemed to be a good value for the slightly higher price.

Edited by Fleek
additional info (see edit history)

Carfax only reports what is reported to them.

I had a oil change and the attendant miss read the odometer, instead of 25,400 miles he typed in 254,000.  I took it back and had he re read it. I learned then they report the readings to the state and Carfax.

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

oCarFax only knows  what is reported to the system. Dealers, large body shops, insurance companies, they typically report. Local mom-and-pop shops, individually-owned small body shops, etc. often do not. CarFax is a reasonable window into the car's ownership history, as all the transfers of ownership are also reported. Mileage is not really a sure thing, since I've had multiple low-mileage cars where someone at some shop or DMV or emissions inspection recorded an incorrect reading or even assumed that, say, a 1986 car with 12,000 miles has to have 112,000 miles and entered it that way. Sometimes they fix it later, sometimes not, so look for abnormalities--say, going from 12,000 miles to 120,000 miles in two years. The logical explanation is usually the correct one, not that someone rolled back an odometer or committed fraud. Just someone entering the data incorrectly.

I wouldn't worry about a late-model car that has been purchased at auction--all used cars purchased through a dealership probably have been through an auction. When people trade cars in, that dealer doesn't necessarily keep that car to sell himself, and often sends it to an auction. Banks and dealerships with cars coming in off lease send them to auction. There are three weekly used car auctions local to me that, as a dealer, I have access to and it's where all the local dealers acquire new used car inventory. Very common, nothing shady, and not an indicator that the car is a problem. Just the normal workings of the second-hand late-model car market.

I think Matts explanation is excellent about who reports accidents and how things are misreported.  Before I retired again I audited car dealers on their CPO (Certified Preowned) performance and no one was perfect and I audited CARFAX as part of the CPO program.  Once again no one is perfect.  Both are TooLs to help you make a decision. 

Most cars that were lease turn ins were kept if they meet the CPO criteria because it is tough getting good cars and that is what concerns me about this car.  A car with this low mileage is a prime CPO car and most dealers would keep it if they represented this brand.  It does have a manufactures warranty which is good and you need to ask the dealers if it is up to date on its software update.  Remember CARFAX is a tool and you should evaluate a car the old fashion way be having a mechanic look at it  and checking the recalls.

Edited by jan arnett (2)
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

i worked at a used car dealer that special;ized in selling cars from salvage auctions.we exceded any and all state disclosure laws. in ten years there, never had a buyer take us to court. there are basiclly three types of cars that we sold, accident damage, flood, and theft recovery. sometimes a prospective buyer would also ask for a carfax report. i was amazed at how many of them came up clean. use common sense as well as the internet when you make a purchase.

The most valuable aspect of a CarFax report, in my opinion, is the ownership history of the vehicle.  If that history reveals several years of ownership in the "rust belt", I'll generally pass on that vehicle.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

A year ago Carfax would include repairs and mechanical issues in their history data, but I have noticed the recent history includes only title changes, and registry activity.
Perhaps too much information sent potential buyers away ?

48 minutes ago, autoluke said:

A year ago Carfax would include repairs and mechanical issues in their history data, but I have noticed the recent history includes only title changes, and registry activity.
Perhaps too much information sent potential buyers away ?

They include it if it's reported. The problem is that a majority of shops don't typically report it. Dealers do but few independent shops are connected to the system or take the time to make an entry.

• Like 1