1938 Plymouth Sedan On The Horizon

keithb7

I am headed on a road trip tomorrow to go view a 1938 Plymouth 4 door sedan. 3 speed manual.  Rear split window!!!  P5, I think.  I don't have specs on it yet. I am wondering if anyone has a manual that can tell me a couple of things.

Overall Length bumper to bumper?

Weight?

Width?

If I buy it, I will go back later with a trailer to tow it home. A few specs would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Keith

Congrats on the new car Keith!

It looks like a P6 sedan, it has the front vent windows. Dash should have 3 horizontal plated bars as well rather than a single bar.

Great car.

Greg

I’m in the Plymouth club now! New to me, I’m pretty happy about this find. I don’t see many of these cars where I live. I’m excited to begin working on it, and get it out there for all to see.  It’ll remain as close to stock as I can keep it. It will be driven regularly each cruising season. 

F1EAB036-86FF-4BB9-B6A2-8617F768196F.jpeg

523797F3-2864-476C-B082-14EC29A1EC16.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I forgot to take some. I am travelling back to pick up the car next weekend. I’ll trailer it home. It’s about a 6 hour trip one way to get there. 

More pics to come when I get the car home. 

Keith,

Nice to finally have the car in your possession, huh? It is certainly a P6 so that's a bonus. I'm sure it will be a fun driver.

Best, Greg

Thanks Greg, it is nice to have it home. The car has been seeing little love and care for a long time. Previous owner replaced the 6V battery and  cables,  but put in 12V size cables. No good.  Won’t turn over worth a darn. I will get that addressed soon. Starter will get pulled and tested too. I cleaned the car up a bit today and it’s a lot better already.  

• 1 month later...

A little update on my ‘38 Plymouth for those interested. 

I’m taking my time with this car. I really enjoy working on it. I have no timeline or schedule. I just work away at it a few evenings a week, plus weekends. As time allows. 

I pulled the starter to find the armature fried up pretty good. I aquired another similar starter and made 1 good one from the two. I pulled the battery cables and built my own 1/O size cables. The engine turns over very well now. 

I located a carb kit on line and ordered it. While waiting for it to arrive the carb has been soaking in Laquer Thinner. It turns out the engine is a 1953/54 year 228 CI. It has a Carter BBS carb on it.  

I was test driving the car before I pulled the carb. The 228 seems to provide nice torque for this light car! I look forward to driving it. 

I installed new spark plugs, rotor, all plug and coil wires. New 6V coil, points and condensor. New fuel filter. 

Pulled the headlights and the harness. The harness is original and in terrible condition. I am building a new harness now. 

Upcoming next projects, while awaiting carb kit will include: set up breaks (they look new) clean up more electrical wiring. Its pretty messy. Thinking I’ll order a new set of brake line flex hoses. 

Almost forgot! I have a new park brake cable due in any day. I’ll install it too as soon as it arrives.

Once the carb kit arrives, I hope it goes well. I might be enjoying some short trips around the neighborhood to warm things up. Then I’ll dump all the oils and refill with new. 

If anyone has any spare parts around let me know. I could use a few little things.  Thanks. 

Keith

85247A25-9ECB-42F0-9947-E5A536A4BF43.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you have not changed oil add some seafoam run it hot and maybe the seafoam will break down some of the valve carbon deposits, but if you do this you need to change oil right after it,read can, also you can add seafoam to fuel to clean lines maybe debris getting in carb (filter) ?

I am not sure if 1938 has the external lube hose by the hogs head for the throwout bearing but my 29 ,32,34 does you might try changing the zerk fitting and pumping some grease on throwout bearing,maybe someone else can chime in on that, also did you open shifter cover and see if you have enough good gear oil in the tranny? Just a few ideas,  last few years I have got new spark plugs that break down intermittently so long shot but miss could be that, Neat video is that all original? never painted? if so I would leave it that way its nice to have as a great oem original driver. Good Luck.

RB

PS after watching your video again on full screen your exterior and interior handles that I can see are 1938 dodge,  not Plymouth, not a problem other then they are not correct from the pics I seen maybe guy changed them to dodge cause the plymouth pitted terrible dodge did too but seemed to have smooth channels where the Plymouth exterior handle has tighter groove lines maybe that held moisture longer.good luck

I solved the idling problem. I located a vacuum leak. It's idling much better now. Purring nicely actually. 

Still a little more time needs to be spent fine tuning. I suspect float level may be set too low. It’s harder to start thenengine after it’s fully warmed up. I also feel a brief flat spot upon acceleration, under load from idle.  Will go back in an check float level. 

Engine easily starts when cold. The choke is working well and backs off as bi-metal tension spring warms up. 

I was informed bearing noise is likely tranny input shaft caged roller bearing. I’ll get in there at some point and see. 

@thehandleman the car was given a “swash with a goose” back in about ‘68. A cheap quick paint. Original color though.  Car is mostly an original survivor. Aside from engine changeout to a ‘54 228 ci Plymouth engine. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1