1912Staver

" one" cars, can they be a reality on a limited budget ?

I am still leaning toward a nickel era Marmon, hopefully a 5 pas. touring. It may take another decade before it's possible { if at all } however that could leave me with most of the decade of my 70's with a nice vintage car , health permitting.  It will be interesting to see what happens to nickel era pricing over the next decade. Other than 2 pas. speedsters and similar, prices seem to be slightly easing. Hard to tell if a decade will make enough of a difference or not.

I was at a moderately large swap meet in Washington State today. Pre war parts did not seem to be selling well other than things that were quite attractively priced. What seemed to be a couple of estate accumulation's were selling well , but they were definitely priced to sell.

Greg

That's encouraging. I, for one, don't care if prices soften or even drop. The cars aren't going to be junked but they will be available to people who, until now, have often enough been priced right out of the market. RE a Marmon---I like them but the only one I've worked on (I think it was a 1921 "beetle-back" roadster) had all sorts of problems getting a reliable seal on the aluminum head. I remember I largely solved the problem by finding a NOS head gasket (actually about 6 of them) in a huge pile of unused gaskets at Bill's Auto Parts in Central Falls, RI. Bill had the gaskets but didn't know what they were - I gave him my 1920s McCord Gasket Catalog, figuring that it would be there if I needed it.

All of my cars have been "One" cars. With the car I needed every day, the truck or trailer to haul the crap I couldn't put in a car and all the other things in life, I never had enough extra time, money and space all at the same time, to have more than one at a time. I'm not alone in this, in my older suburb, mostly working class with children,  there are at least 20 other "One" cars in a one mile radius.

One of the factors that received attention when my wife and I bought a house was ensuring there was a large enough yard for my old car projects and her animals. It resulted in our location being at the rural fringe of the city. We both worked a fair distance apart and both jobs were in relatively high housing cost areas so it only made sense to locate somewhere roughly equal distance to either job and far enough out that larger lots were affordable. Small, in town houses on small lots were quite a bit more in cost even then.

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

One of the factors that received attention when my wife and I bought a house was ensuring there was a large enough yard for my old car projects and her animals. It resulted in our location being at the rural fringe of the city. We both worked a fair distance apart and both jobs were in relatively high housing cost areas so it only made sense to locate somewhere roughly equal distance to either job and far enough out that larger lots were affordable. Small, in town houses on small lots were quite a bit more in cost even then.

Greg

Ironically, this is exactly the same decision process my wife and I went through when we bought our farm 20 years ago.  At the time we worked about 50 miles apart and looked for a place in the middle (of course, we both changed jobs shortly after buying the place, and now we both primarily work from home). We wanted as much land as we could afford.  She thinks all this acreage is for her horses.  I call it "buffer zone" to the neighbors. Also, since she has horses, I don't even have the most expensive hobby in the household. 😁

• Like 1