Best source for National Meet Judging Classes and criteria

MrEarl

Can anyone direct me to a good source for the "latest"  judging criteria for the Archival Class and Driven Class.  This is all I found on the BCA Website under Publications>Judging Manual and it is from 2005. Is this it? My two owner 135K mile '79 Estate Wagon was essentially all original and unmolested prior to my acquiring it and adding items to make it safe and conducive to towing a camping trailer, so need to know if I should register it in Archival, Driven or just Display.

Sorry for all the funky text, I did a copy and paste from the manual.

UNRESTORED VEHICLE CLASSThe BCA recognizes and encourages the preservation offine examples of unrestored Buicks. Once restored or replaced,the archival value of original features and materials is foreverlost. Unrestored cars therefore provide an invaluable treasureand actual examples of Buick production. The BCA alsoencourages the display of these original vehicles as an accessibleresource for restorers. To that end, the BCA has established acertification, and award program for Archival vehicles morethan 25 model years old entered in National Meets.Vehicles entered in the Unrestored Class shall be declared atthe time of registration and shall be judged solely on originality,and not on workmanship or condition. All Unrestored andArchival vehicles are to be parked in a separate class (Class U)and judged by a special team of experienced judges jointlyselected by the Chief Judge and Head Judge. A car registered inthe Unrestored Class is ineligible to receive a Class Award(Gold, Silver or Bronze), a Senior Preservation Award or aDrivers Award. Records shall be kept of all such vehicles, asthey are for Senior Buicks, so that the archival information maybe retrieved.ScoringArchival vehicles will be judged in class by the regularlyassigned class judging team for the class appropriate tothevehicle, and shall include the class’ Deputy and TeamCaptain who shall assist the team judges in verifying originalityof all components. Disputes shall be handled in the normalmanner through the Arbitration Team. All other rules forowner contact and class judging shall apply to the judging ofArchival vehicles. Archival entrants may be located on the showfield with restored cars or in a separate area, at the discretion ofthe host chapter.Unrestored cars are to be judged using the 400 pointjudging form (tan colored) to record scoring evaluation of eachvehicle, and this form shall be retained by the BCA. Alloriginal (as delivered from the factory) components, includingfinish, shall receive no deduction, regardless of condition, solong as the original can be observed. Original componentswhich have received spot repair, but with original areas visible,will be considered as original.All authentic replacements which are not original shallreceive a deduction of 50% of the points assigned to thatcategory. This deduction would also apply to surfaces or componentswhich are obscured by rust, dirt, grease, new paint, or under-coating, to the extent that the original features are not visible.All ?point scores resulting from this deduction shall be roundedup to the next whole-point score. Otherwise, all non-originalreplacements receive the maximum deduction.AwardsAll unrestored vehicles scoring 350 or more points shallreceive the Archival Award. An owner displaying a winningvehicle for the first time shall receive the Archival Award plaque,together with the Tri-shield tile inscribed with the year of theaward. Subsequent awards for the same vehicle will be of theTri-shield tile. The Archival Award badge, which is to be affixedto and remain with the vehicle, shall be provided only with theinitial Archival Award to each vehicle upon completion of theArchival Award Registration Form.An Archival Award vehicle must be declared as such whenre-entering judging at subsequent National Meets, providingthe year of the initial award and any other identifyinginformation that may be required by the Head Judge, but as aminimum the year, model, and vehicle identification number(VIN). Archival Award cars are to be judged in the same manner asUnrestored cars, except using a green colored 400-point judgingform to record the results so as to distinguish them as previousaward winners. If the entrant is a new owner, it shouldbeindicated on the application to enable your receipt of yourArchival Award Plaque, which is awarded once for each vehicleto each owner.BUICK NATIONAL DRIVEN AWARDPurpose: The Buick National Driven Award exists toencourage the driving of Buick automobiles to the BuickNational and give recognition to those cars doing so when theysatisfy the requirements set out below:Age Qualification: Each Buick must be 25 years or older. Driven to National:Any Buick registered for this award must be drivento the National from the county of BCA memberresidence, as established by the address provided theBCA by the member, and driven by the BCA member, afamily member, or a designated driver. If the BCAowner is disabled (s)he may have the assistance ofothers as well. The Buick must be driven the entiredistance to the National (anddriven onto the judgingfield) without having been conveyed by plane, trailer,truck or boat any distance, or towed, pushed, hauled or82005 BCA JUDGINGHANDBOOK7TH

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The driven award is handled administratively, with the owner signing a certification ( upon check in) that they met the conditions.  The conditions are that the car is 12 years old ( I believe), and that it was driven 75% of the distance from their home, to the meet.   Eligible cars can get a driven award and still register in the other classes. 

As for the other classes,  archival cars are judged on how much of their construction remains original parts, with exceptions for consumables, like tires, exhaust, belts etc.  The car should be stiull in it's original layout.  For example, if the car was built with single exhaust, it should still have single exhaust.  Or if it was built with a bench seat, it should still have the bench seat.  Condition of the parts is not supposed to be part of the criteria.  So if you have a rusted bumper, but it was the original one on the car, theoretically there should not be a deduction for it.   Out of 400 possible points, 385 points gets one an Archival Elite award.  350 points gets one the  Archival award. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Thanks JD, is there a copy of the judging scoring sheet available for viewing, I think that would help.

Yes, that would be a help, but I do not have one.  I would think it would be up to the Chief Judge to post or send one, in case there have been any recent updates to the program. 

5 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Yes, that would be a help, but I do not have one.  I would think it would be up to the Chief Judge to post or send one, in case there have been any recent updates to the program. 

Let me see, If I can get a copy and paste it in tis thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Jack Welch  Hey Jack,  isn't there a page for the engine and chassis also?

John: There is, I just realized that it did not post with page 1. PDF files can get a little funky who you try and convert them . I will try this morning to get page 2 posted. That is what happens when you try to something late at night (at least for me) .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Jack, I think  she would do well based on what I am seeing so will be registering and entering her in the Archival Class. I personally think the Archival is one of the most important or valuable classes in the judged classes. I regret never having entered any of my low mileage unmolested '54's before letting them go.☹️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Thanks Jack, I think  she would do well based on what I am seeing so will be registering and entering her in the Archival Class. I personally think the Archival is one of the most important or valuable classes in the judged classes. I regret never having entered any of my low mileage unmolested '54's before letting them go.☹️

Lamar: I think one of the great values of the archival class is that they are truly "as they left the factory" > That is the standard for judging even using the 400 point system. I own a 1938 Special sedan that is the perfect example of an archival car. The only "improvements" made over the years have been to repaint the engine and have the steering wheel recast. That car has received a bronze award in 400 point judging. That to me is a perfect example of how well our judging system works when properly done. As a judge , I have walked over to an archival car when I have had questions on authenticity of a car being judged under the 400 point system.

• Like 2

From an email conversation, I had with

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Inside back cover of May Bugle has all the judging classes listed.

Is there a set year (of manufacture) when the "Modern Era" judging form is used?

From an email conversation, that I had with John Steed, it looks like that form is used starting when Buick went to front wheel drive models, including mini vans, suvs, etc. I do not believe it is used on the front wheel drive Rivs from the mid eighties.

Edited by Jack Welch (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

From an email conversation, I had with

From an email conversation, that I had with John Steed, it looks like that form is used starting when Buick went to front wheel drive models, including mini vans, suvs, etc. I do not believe it is used on the front wheel drive Rivs from the mid eighties.

I am going to correct that, it does include the front wheel drive Rivs from 1979 on.

I was not sure when the modern judging form would be used..........the head judge probably has the option of when to use it.    I would think that the last rear drive Roadmasters would use it.

When we first started judging Reattas,  we questioned the only form available and was given the challenge to make it better for modern cars.    Stan Leslie was the major developer and his input was tweeked by the head judge at the time.

It was not intended to be only for Reattas,  but for cars that did not have many of the things that are judged on the standard form......and could be used on most post WWII cars......not just front wheel drive Buicks 

• Like 1