Lacquer paint repair help needed

MoparMadnz

Hello, the transport company damaged the paint on my 1950 Buick. Not sure exactly how it happened because the driver lied and the transport company is (so far) unwilling to accept responsibility. Some type of object made contact with the fender and took out a chunk of paint the size of a Tomato. What is the best way to go about repairing this? Would it be difficult to match and touch this up? I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to bodywork. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I will try to attach a picture. 

IMG_7743.jpg

The good news, if any, is the repair is down low and below a molding, so it should be blendable in a small area.

Do you have collector car insurance on it?

• Like 3

Biggest issue for the repair is to get the proper color match. If you know of someone that is good with an air brush that can be used to paint the color in after the area is sanded and primed  and then sanded smooth again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 5219 said:

Take a good look at your policy. Sometimes a newly acquired car is covered from the time you buy it, not from the time you notify the company.

This. Most insurance companies automatically insure a car even if you don't alert them right away. In most cases you have 30 days.

As for the repair, let a pro handle it, pay the deductible, and enjoy a car that doesn't have an issue that causes you to cringe every time you see it. A good paint shop should be able to take an optical scan of the surrounding paint and mix up a batch that matches perfectly, including fading and age. I had a fender skirt repainted on my '41 Cadillac with all-original paint and it matched perfectly. Do it right don't do it cheap. The next guy to own your car will appreciate it, too!

• Like 4

On 5/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, MoparMadnz said:

Hello, the transport company damaged the paint...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Does that transport company advertise in Hemmings

Motor News?  Unlike many other magazines, Hemmings

will try to resolve complaints about advertisers;  and if an

advertiser has a record of bad service or misleading ads,

prohibit them from advertising.  What a good way to

weed out the creeping, slithering vines from the good fruit

in the garden!

• Like 2

Look at your State offices and see if you have an Insurance commissioner (or whatever agency handles insurance company licenses for your State)  - you can generally file a complaint with the State agency should a company not be cooperative in disclosing their carrier to allow for a claim to be made.  

And, then look to your own company if all else fails - it is a non-moving incident so probably counts but not like you were out driving.   You probably only have X period to report - keep that in mind. 

And, yes paint can be matched - just takes a better than not shop.

• Like 1

This shipper was advertising in Hemmings until recently, but I'm not sure if they still are. It actually turned out to be a broker, and they subbed out the job 

to another trucking company. The driver basically pulled a fast one on me and lied about mentioning the damage on the bill of lading when I requested him 

to do so. I was pressed for time when finding a shipper, so I wasn't able to do enough due diligence. It was a lesson learned for me, because I have since 

learned that this company has a long track record of engaging in very deceptive/shady business practices. 

Was the damage listed on the bill of lading? Most drivers will go over the cars with a microscope so they don't get blamed for anything. If it's not on the bill of lading, it should be relatively easy to make a claim. Personally, I'd file a claim with your insurance company and let them go after the shipping company. You don't have to do the legwork on this, your insurance company has an army of lawyers for just this kind of thing and it's what you're paying them to do. You don't need to do them any favors by hunting the trucker down and making them pay for it. File a claim, get your car fixed, start having fun. It should not affect your rates or rating since the car was not damaged through your actions.

• Like 2

First the driver told me this was a "normal scratch." I asked him if he noticed this damage at pickup, and he couldn't give me a straight answer. I then asked the driver to notate on the BOL that I mentioned damage and he agreed to do it. Then he had me sign the BOL on his phone (no paperwork) and told me that I would see the damage noted on my email copy of the BOL. I told him its not mentioned at all in the emailed copy, yet he kept insisting that he did it. He basically had me sign off on the BOL that said I received the car with no damage. He also called at the last minute wanting cash on delivery.  I received no paper receipt of any kind, so all I could do at that point is give him a sheet of paper and have him write down his name, amount paid, and that I mentioned damage. He lied about a number of things as did the broker. I will call my insurance company during the week and try to make a claim. Thanks for the advice. 

Edited by MoparMadnz
add (see edit history)

Are we allowed to mention the name of the Broker?

There appear to be 3 areas of damage, obvious one, at lead edge of fender, and one back at door edge. I'm personally suspicious that these are older, did not all happen at same time, and previous owner's fault. Any chance you can get recent photos of that side of car from PO?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 7:44 AM, Restorer32 said:

Are you sure it's lacquer?

^^^THIS. The sheen and orange peel suggest that this is an enamel repaint.  Better be quite sure of the type of paint before repairs are made.

• Like 3

From the picture, it looks like the long white mark will come right out with a little rubbing compound. The find a blue that looks close and lay it in with a brush. In that location it won't be noticed and you can probably find more places to touch up once you start looking.

A body shop might make a big production out of it, partly tape off the trim, spray your tire and frame rail blue, and leave a window open so the interior gets full of paint dust. It is not that I wouldn't trust them, but a kid could fix that.

1941.thumb.jpg.d60be76693051c55286ab7a1e21ca2ad.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1