What is this car?

Locomobile

By the semaphores located in the front fender, I would say European also. The logo on the hub cap might be a clue for someone.

*Pietro Frua's First original design for his own company, One-Off 

1946 Fiat 1100C Spider
Coachwork by Carrozzeria Frua
Chassis no. 279906
Engine no. 306135

1089cc OHV Inline 4-Cylinder Engine
Single Weber Downdraft Carburetor
52bhp at 5,200rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Independent Front Suspension – Live Rear Axle 
4-Wheel Hydraulic Drum Brakes 

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A perfect example of how nice "hens teeth" bring a lot of money. Frua became famous for their styling, and when we consider this was 1946, imagine much of the styling would be still marketable today. Modern glass molding techniques would result in a more organic windshield, and the 50's Chev truck grill would change, but....... Like the "first Porsche" from 1939 being discussed this week, cars like this are priceless to those who want the very first in a long line of exceptional automobiles from a specific maker/designer.

I like many import cars however I don't really get cars like this . And I really don't understand that sort of a price tag. 

If it was one of the many similar British specials it would sell for peanuts. And some were even bodied by smaller British coach building firms rather than home made or commercially made fiberglass bodies. 

The Fiat mechanicals are nothing special at all. And I personally find the styling on this particular car a bit unfortunate.

I may be a bit prejudicesd as in one of my sheds I have a derelict Buckler however I think the British efforts were an improvement. And much more reasonable in price.

Greg in Canada

revival_goodwood_buckler_dd1_10092017_01.jpg

tonygoodwinspl640.jpg

untitledfs.png

Coventry Climax engine and all you would  pay a fraction of what the Frua - Fiat sold for if you bought one of these Elva's. And the first few had a hand formed alloy body , fiberglass on later cars.  A much more pleasing shape to my eye , and a real road / track car. Much quicker than a Fiat based effort, and probably a better chassis as well. Elva's did very well in early small bore racing as well as being a great road car.

20160526_172352.jpg

20160526_172441.jpg

image8041020182010949.jpg

A bit of a step up from a push rod 1100 Fiat.

1956-elva-mk-1-b-sports-racer-engine.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

They match symetrically, bezels are both round when viewed straight on like the lights, check out the video. However the angled nature of the bezels in face of the curved bodywork cause them to appear mis-matched, seen as a horizontal oval or vertical oval, or a circle depending on view angle. I do agree it is an awkward detail.