alsancle

What do you use to tow with?

14 minutes ago, trimacar said:

OK, it's an 8.1L Vortec, 496, my mistake.  Only put in  Suburbans 2001-2006, that's why I was specifically looking for a pre-2006 one.

Somewhere I read that the 8.1L is "suitable for towing small planets"......

My two previous Suburbans had the 7.4L.  thanks dc

I've always had an itch for a 2500 Avalanche with the 8.1.  Either you love or hate the Avalanche, and I love them.

2 hours ago, real61ss said:

John

I went up I 95 to Parsippany N.J. and again two weeks ago going to the Pontiac Convention in Gettysburg with no problems. They may pull me over the next time but so far.....

They gave me a real hard time, because they could! I was empty as well.

It is just not worth the hassle for me so I stop, Now I take 81 most of the time my son and his family moved to Charlottesville about a year ago

I avoid 95 like the plague, 81 is great. 

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I avoid 95 like the plague, 81 is great. 

i could not agree more! I-81 in Virginia can get a little monotonous dealing with mountains semi's and two lanes for the most part, and the pass between Virginia and North Carolina can get very foggy, and the stretch of road north of Charlotte can have a lot of traffic, other then that it is a breeze compared to  95

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 2:39 PM, Brass is Best said:

Hard to beat a Chevrolet.

truck1.jpg

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500, I love that truck -- still, it has been flawless. 330hp 5.3 Litre/Allison 6 speed. It pulls my 9500 pound (Boat, trailer and fuel)combined weight steel hulled tugboat no problem at all. It marches right over mountains like they are not there, mileage sucks pulling that much weight, get about 9 mpg with regular and 10.5 mpg with premium. Normal city is 13 mpg and 20 on the highway (empty), but that's good for a 5700 pound vehicle.  With the little Locomobile on a trailer behind, I have to keep looking back to make sure I didn't lose it. :)

-Ron

IMG_2923.JPG

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I’m not a pick up truck guy so my very day driver had to be a good towing SUV. I have used Ford Expeditions to tow my open trailer and 20’ enclosed trailer with my Kissels with absolutely no issues. The Ford Expedition SUV with the tow-package has the highest manufacturers rated towing capacity when compared to GM or FCA products, by more than a thousand pounds. You can also put a supercharger unit on it for a small cost (I didn’t). 

From Michigan, Ive towed cars to Montana, Texas, Wisconsin,  Kansas, etc. without any problem

6BD36DA4-F0F7-4ABD-8658-D9AF88F182D9.jpeg

1A8BCE22-BA7A-4E44-95B5-76316214A6B8.jpeg

E41850E5-754C-4CDB-9E85-3337BDCD9D5A.jpeg

5DBF22A1-D86A-4697-8762-55C9C9187715.jpeg

E139248D-7DDB-4513-B73D-ED3A1BF5F31A.jpeg

I'm getting this old girl fixed up and hope to put back on the road by fall.

f450 005.jpg

It's a 1994 with a 7.3 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel. Power train is good, but the rest of it needs plenty of work. I've come to grips with the fact I hate backing up a trailer and am getting worse instead of better!