My Romar's Dodge experience

When was the last time you purchased a product or service and the business just knocks it out of the park?  Sadly, it doesn’t happen very often anymore. But when it does, it is only fair to pass it along, right?  Besides, maybe some other service business might decide to raise the bar or perhaps some manufacturer might decide to stop using Chinesium.

Now to the story… My Dad and I needed a rebuilt water pump following the “Great 1929 Dodge DA Phaeton Fan Disaster” (That story is the subject of another thread 

As this was Dad’s first experience with Romar, he conducted his usual mini-interview, testing the water, so to speak. Apparently George passed- he got the job.

George located a core water pump as a candidate for the rebuild. He stripped and sand blasted the core, pressed in new bushings, re-packed the gland, polished the brass gland nut to a mirror finish, and painted it like new. As a big plus, the new pump arrived well-packed and ahead of schedule. It was a work of art!

Only one thing left to do: mount the pulley on the shaft and re-pin it. The measured pump shaft end-play seemed excessive at 0.165 in. With the old pump destroyed, no thrust bushings existed for comparison. Information on the issue is scant. JB-ed’s Victory Six manual states 0.005 to 0.0025 in. recommended end-play, but he provides no additional info on the thrust bushings.

As a last resort, I called Romar’s for the first time seeking help with the pump. I hesitated to call because they rebuilt the pump was over six months ago.  My bad- due to the time difference, I called close to closing time in New York, but George Farrell still answered the phone. Surprisingly, he recalled the details of the rebuild from six months prior.

Next, he explained the end-play situation. He even took the time to answer a couple of questions not related to the water pump. He is extremely knowledgeable about the pump and Dodge engine rebuilding in general. All told, he spent 30+ minutes on the phone with me. This is unheard of today. Talk about service after the sale!

Romar’s is an “old-school” workshop run by one who takes pride in his work. George Farrell is one of a kind. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing Dodge Brothers engine related work. As a bonus, George will answer your questions. I am blown away!

To George: thanks a million for your expertise and best of luck to you in your new enterprise.

• Like 6

On 5/16/2019 at 1:19 PM, DB26 said:

I used Romar early last year. Service was unmatched. George will be providing for the Dodge Brotherhood for many years, no doubt! 

Agreed. And the more folks that know about him, the more likely he will stay in business. Like an endangered species.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:09 PM, Spinneyhill said:

That is good service. What was the outcome with the pump? I believe the Dodge 8 had a carbon washer behind the impeller as the thrust washer.

Good question. Now, what did he say?  I forgot. LOL

Just kidding, I was paying attention.  It was interesting because his point was, that you could probably get away with 0.165 in end play on this pump without any problem. He said the idea here is because of the pump design, when the impeller is spinning, it tends to suck itself up towards the pump body. End play, within reason, is not a problem.  He added, "but if it makes you feel better, use some fiber washers leaving 3-5 thou gap". If that gap turns out to leave too little end play, the fiber washer will just wear itself down and won't cause any problem either.  In my case, it did make me feel better to use fiber thrust washers. It felt even better when I found the perfect fiber washers already in my parts drawers. 

31 minutes ago, idrjoe_sandiego said:

when the impeller is spinning, it tends to suck itself up towards the pump body

Hmm. That explains the wear in a couple of spare pumps I have. On one, the impeller is worn almost right through the pin and into the end of the bush the shaft runs in. In the other, there is a lot of wear but less than the first.