67 Ragtop

[color:\\"blue\\"] Hello to all - Just purchased a 67' skylark ragtop from the sunny south. She's got about about 160k on her with one recent valve job @ 20-25k ago. The engines purrs like a kitten (300 v8). I'm sure to have many questions to ask over time, but the 1 thing I need to ask you older Buick lovers out there is about "GAS". I've heard about a hundred different versions of what I should do. Presently I'm putting in Shell 93 octane and she runs just fine (previous owner put in 87 octane. My question is do I need to put in a lead substitute every now and then or maybe an octane booster or????????. People have been telling me that without the lead that probelms can occur with valve seals or valve guides??? Thats it for now Thanx -OldBlue- [color:\\"blue\\"]

Have read many postings on this subject. Consensus is usually that you would need lead only if towing trailers up mountains. There are rumors of Buicks having more noble metal blocks, but the bottom line seems to be that there are few or no accounts of people having problems using unleaded.

For octane, would think that your 9.0:1 engone would be OK on 89, or possibly 93 if it knocks. You certainly shouldn't need octane booster. I need it badly in my higher compression engine, but that's a different story.

To Yellowlark - Thanx for your response, like I had said I've received many avenues of thought on this matter, but nothing beats actual experience. were gonna continue with the '93 octane from Shell which she seems to enjoy, and put the gas matter to rest. Thank you again -Greg- (oldblue)

Guest John Chapman

The valve guide wear problem from using unleaded fuel is corrected by installing hardened guides. With a recent valve job, you've most likely got the hardened guides, as I don't think anyone is making the unhardened ones anymore.

My $.02 worth...

Cheers,

JMC

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that much of the lead additives, as well as many of the so-called octane boosters, have a lot of chemicals that can hurt your cars fuel system. This includes the fuel pump, the rubber/nytril/neoprene parts in the carb and rest of the fuel system. I have driven my '70 Caddy that has 155 k miles on it without using leaded gas, and put a number of miles on my '67 Ford Wagon (ugggh - that 4 letter word, I know....) using hi-test unleaded and have gotten nary a tic or tock from the valves. If you put a lot of miles on it, I would suggest getting hardened valves seats put in - but aside from that - drive 'er as it and enjoy !