What year of Dodge is a D-3?  

What Year of Dodge is a D-4?

What year of Dodge is a D-2?  I always thought  D-2 was decanted to the production year of 1936.

Frank

D3 and D4 are also 1936 Dodges - built on the 1936 Plymouth chassis and 3-4" shorter wheelbase. Lower priced cars with fewer options and assembled in Canada, perhaps overseas as well. I think the D3 was the bottom end of the line and have not ever seen one. I think they may have been for export only but not sure.  I have an acquaintance who had a nicely restored D4 coupe. Others chime in with more details please.

Posted (edited)

https://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/DODGE 1936.html

Six Series D2 (6 cyl., 217.8 cu.in., 87 h.p.; wb: 116 in.)
  Business Coupe
  Coupe
  Sedan
  Sedan
  Touring Sedan
  Touring Sedan
  Convertible Coupe
  Sedan
  Convertible Coupe
  Commercial Sedan
  Convertible Sedan
  Chassis
Six Series D3/D4 (6 cyl., 217.8 cu.in., 82 h.p.; wb: 113 in.)
  Touring Sedan
  Touring Sedan
  Business Coupe
  Sedan
  Sedan
  Touring Sedan
  Touring Sedan
  Sedan Deluxe
  Business Coupe
  Rumble Seat Coupe
  Convertible 

D2 Six Sedan has 217-8 cu-in. L-head engine, developing 87 bhp at 3600 rpm. In Britain it is known as the Senior Six as a Saloon or as a Limousine with division. A small-bore export engine (23-4 HP) is also available, designated Model D3.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-of-the-week-1936-dodge-touring-sedan

says this in one paragraph:

"The D2 Series included 11 different body styles. The four-door touring sedan was by far the most popular, accounting for 174,334 of the 265,005 D2 cars built for the model year. The company also built a small number — probably around 3,100 — “D3” and “D4” models for export and for Canada. Those cars were based on the 1936 Plymouth and carried the 201-cid L-head six-cylinder engines."

Just ask the www! From http://classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1936&make=Dodge&series=7032

image.thumb.png.12d65fa50eb8c24241bd4c8270cac523.pngimage.thumb.png.f142ea6b085e6f456bf175194bb4fc00.png

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Hi Spinney  I just had a look at my list of serial numbers for '36 Dodge. the D2 numbers are right on - 261637 US + 3368 CDN. = 2605005 D2s

The D3 was built in both the US and Canada - 3073 US + 1039 CDN. = 4382 D3s

The D4 appears to be  Canadian only assembly with 5645 units.

There was definitely a series with smaller engines built for export to deal with the horsepower tax that I learned about on this forum., I also note the mention of an overdrive unit available on UK units of 1936 Dodge while there was nothing like that available in Canada and the US. I researched that one to death as I would have liked an OEM overdrive for our '36 Dodge D2 RS Coupe. I suspect the overdrive was to compensate for the low horsepower small displacement engines.

3 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

I suspect the overdrive was to compensate for the low horsepower small displacement engines.

Hmmm. Not sure this follows unless the diff. ratio is increased a little. Also, there aren't many hills in England (compared to this country anyway).