Gunsmoke

1931 Chrysler CD8 Head Gasket 240CI Victor 842

Posted (edited)

Rebuilding a 1931 Chrysler CD8 1st series 240CI engine and need a good Victor 842 headgasket. For information, these were the first of the Chrysler 8 cyl engines and had 3" pistons, replaced mid-year by 3.125" pistons and late in year by 3.25" pistons. While headbolt pattern remained common, water outlet holes apparently did not. I also have a 284CI late series engine. The photos show both headgaskets (later one in foreground) and the extra coolent holes in the later gasket, particularly at the back end of the block, #7,#8 pistons. Closeups of stacked gaskets show that coolent holes do not line up. I bought the NORS gasket for the 284CI engine but obviously cannot use it.

The gasket that came off the 240CI engine I am rebuilding is a Victor 842, and is in excellent shape. Don't want to re-use it, however may have no choice if I cannot find a new one. Anyone know who might supply these? I checked Olsons online, nothing stocked. If I was forced to use this one, any suggestions to minimize likelihood of water leaks other than dabbing gasket sealant top and bottom of gasket around water holes? Thanks as usual. 

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

There should be no problem with reusing the old gasket, as long as it is not bent.  I have reused composite gaskets as many as three times. Either dry or with a thin film of grease.  Never used any sealant at all.

I have a whole bunch of new head gaskets for 31s. I will look at them and see if I have the one you need.

Greg

Did you call Olson's  ..... I would call them.. not accept what the online catalog shows...

Posted (edited)

I have spoken to Richard Olson and he confiirmed they have a Victor 842 headgasket. Thanks for all the advice and suggested sources, hope to have it in a few days and get this sucker buttoned up again. 

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I have spoken to Richard Olson and he confiirmed they have a Victor 842 headgasket. Thanks for all the advice and suggested sources, hope to have it in a few days and get this sucker buttoned up again. 

Out of curiosity, how much was the head gasket? I have a CD8 as well. If you'd like you can PM me the info. Thanks!!

Olson's can be reached at 360-871-1207, their hours are 8-4 pacific time. Make sure you know which series engine you have, 3.0",  3.125", or 3.25" pistons. Gasket was $92.50 + shipping.

• Like 1