Sign in to follow this  
jwbrew15

Lycolming GS 8 cyl motor

Searching for a 1928 Lycolming GS block or complete or partial motor. This is a 90HP motor with split intake using a Schebler 2 barrel. Intake and ports in the block are rectangular and not in line between intake and exhaust.

Thanks, John      jwbrew15@aol.com

From the few of these engines that I know of, the 8-90 engines seem to have a common habit of coughing connecting rod big ends.  I have a sad engine from a derelict sedan on a dairy farm , which has large exit patched bronze-welded back  at different times and places.  Two antique car people who I knew had similar blow-ups with good cars.  I cannot tell from mine what might be the cause of the issue.  Without going to check, I recall that there was offset between the big and little ends; but I doubt anyone could fit a con-rod the wrong way round.  The 8-77 I have is only a whisker smaller bore.  The 8-90 head is Rickardo combustion chamber, and is useable on the 8-77 for better performance and economy;  and I expect the camshaft has better timing .   It is practical today to make new connecting rods with material that will not fail,  and it is probably sensible to change to slipper bearings.  An external oil filter would help.   And you can buy whatever high duty conrod bolts you need.   Those 4 litre straight 8s, with a Lanchester harmonic resonance damper on the front are obviously good performers when they are right; and as we say , should do half an hour in twenty minutes.  But you need to make sure everything is right.