1925 DB Radiator Shell question

I recently acquired a 1925 DB Roadster, my first of the high radiator, final series "slow-four" models.  The radiator shell on my car, which I strongly feel is the original to the car, has the license plate bracket riveted on the bottom, just above the crank hole (see attached photo).  My shell is painted, and in excellent condition.  I would like to have a nickel plated shell for the car, to go along with the nickel bumpers, cowl & headlamp lamp rims, etc., but I would prefer to acquire another shell to plate and not have the car off the road while I wait the 2-3 months to have it done; and also retain the original shell too.  I've been seeing different shells, some with and some without the license bracket.  I've always assumed that the 1924-early 1926 shells were the same, but obviously that is not the case.  Can anyone tell me when the license bracket was added, along with any other differences I should be aware of?  Thanks, Bob

3.jpg

My '24 has the bracket as, I THINK, they all should for that time period. What I am surprised with is that yours is painted. Usually if a car has cowl lights the shell is nickled, a deluxe model. I've found written proof the bumpers could be black or nickled, might have been $2 difference. You better get a crank hole cover before you go too far. Nice car, you don't see roadsters too often especially this late. By '25 most were closed cars.  My belly doesn't fit between the door and steering wheel in a roadster. 

The only thing to watch is that the 1926 series shells have a bead all around the rear flange.  I think you will find that the high shells without a bracket are 1923 series and otherwise identical to the 1924-25 series.

Edited by TonyAus (see edit history)

4 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

My '24 has the bracket as, I THINK, they all should for that time period. What I am surprised with is that yours is painted. Usually if a car has cowl lights the shell is nickled, a deluxe model. I've found written proof the bumpers could be black or nickled, might have been $2 difference. You better get a crank hole cover before you go too far. Nice car, you don't see roadsters too often especially this late. By '25 most were closed cars.  My belly doesn't fit between the door and steering wheel in a roadster. 

I also thought that the cowl lights indicated a "Special" series car, but I have seen a number of cars with them that did have painted shells.  I also thought that plated bumpers were only on the Special series cars.  I've owned a number of DB's over the years but all were the earlier "Low Radiator" cars, so this is the first time I've owned a later "High Radiator" car and I'm a little weaker in my knowledge of these.  My car is pretty much all original, but has been painted, only once from what I have been able to determine.  I can't find any evidence of plating on the shell.  I know what you mean by the space behind the steering wheel! I get in and out through the passenger side door most of the time and fit OK that way.  I do have the crank hole cover, it just happened to be out when the pic was taken. Definitely don't want to be sucking in the road dirt going down the road. Sounds like we're not too far from each other. I assume from your handle that you live near Hershey. I'm just outside of Dillsburg.  Hope we'll run into each other somewhere this summer.  Thanks for your input. 

The automatic wiper is vacuum, no idea on the lock for Motometer. In the DBC collection at AACA library is a brochure about bumpers. They were a dealer approved extra cost accessory, I THINK $6 for painted and $8 for nickel. I am at the library too much, been scanning lots of DB stuff. It can be viewed in the DBC website, about 3400 Budd Manuf. photos and 2000 pages of DB letters to dealers or customers. I can almost see the new AACA HQ building from the house.  I go to Latimore for shows. I am sure we will run into each other some place. 

If I had put in the 1925 data, it would have been less questions. However, based on what is below the specials this year came with disk wheels and Nickel shell. Wood wheels were standard. I guess you have to go by serial number. Below is the 1925 Data:

25 Dodge.jpg

Edited by hwellens (see edit history)

1923 shells are not the same at all, they only appear that way. The mounting studs on the bottom are in a different location and the "shoulders" are more rounded than '24-'27. Upper radiator mounting tabs are closer to the center in '23 and the lower outlet is different/lower.

I was pretty certain that the 1923 was different. So it looks like the 1924-25 and possibly early 1926 cars used the same shell. I was surprised to see the mention of the special cars having blue leather upholstery in the open cars.  I've never seen anything but black in any original cars that I've looked at.