'63 wire cap center emblems

Loren@65GS.com

On 5/17/2019 at 2:03 PM, KongaMan said:

Upon further inspection, the part books don't shed a lot of light on this.  That is, it's not clear which models had available wire wheels in which years.  In some situations, it lists wire wheels for the LeSabre, Wildcat, and (different part #) Riviera; in others, it lists various parts (spinners, etc,.) for "All".  At no point is the wire wheel specifically listed for the Electra for any years 63-66.  However, it does say that there was a 14" wire wheel available for the Riviera in 65. ;) 

All that aside, I put wire wheels with red, white, and blue trishields on my 63 Electra and I ain't taking them off. ;) 

BTW:

1964_buick_electra_225_98080902124318315

Mr, Konga Man, your automobile looks sharp. I like wire and chrome

a lot placed on a proper Buick.

Thank you for posting.

Turbinator

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KongaMan said:

FWIW, I have a cover with a 3-hole spinner on a 4-hole hub.  Whoever did it had to drill holes in the hub to line up with those in the spinner, then grind away the spokes to provide clearance for the screws.  Putting it back together was like a Chinese puzzle.

Mr. Konga Man, early on I took apart a rusted 63 Buick wire wheel cover. You are correct, reassembly of the wire wheel cover had me puzzled for a l o n g time. I got it back together, but not without some prayer and meditation.

Turbinator

Don't know anything about Riviera wire wheel covers but have rebuilt lots of 1964-1969 Chevrolet and GM intermediate wire wheel covers.

The three screw design must have been early as everything Chevy used beginning in 1964 had 4 mounting screws.

The height difference is the chrome center part under the spinner.    In the case of Chevrolet the short one was a later part.

All the center parts (stand off) were the same large diameter ...7 1/8 inch.   The tall design has 551572 cast on the inside,  the short design has 552192 on the inside of the casting.

Here are some pictures.

short.jpg

tall 2.jpg

wire 2.jpg

tall part.jpg

wire 1.jpg

wheel parts 2.jpg

• Like 1