Sign in to follow this  
Loren@65GS.com

'63 wire cap center emblems

I was going through some more of the parts I purchased last month. I noticed that I have two different style '63 center emblems for the wire wheel cap spinner.

Notice the difference in the size of the crosses and the length the stag.  Just thought it was interesting that there would be the difference.

LorenSAM_1907.thumb.JPG.8e04aaa6a19a3b314f4a2ea2602c73e2.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

I was going through some more of the parts I purchased last month. I noticed that I have two different style '63 center emblems for the wire wheel cap spinner.

Notice the difference in the size of the crosses and the length the stag.  Just thought it was interesting that there would be the difference.

Different suppliers or changes over time?

If you look close you can see they both have different mounts. One has a piece sticking out and the one on the right has three slots on the back. You can see them through the emblem. This makes sure the emblem is set correctly on the spinner. Gene.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abandg said:

If you look close you can see they both have different mounts. One has a piece sticking out and the one on the right has three slots on the back. You can see them through the emblem. This makes sure the emblem is set correctly on the spinner. Gene.

Gene,

These 2 very different `63 centers are the reason I believe there were 2 different versions of the `63 wire covers, the shallow style and the style with a projected spinner. The spinners are different and accept a distinct center

Tom Mooney

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

Thanks for posting this Loren. I knew of the difference in the centers regarding they way they index into the spinners but I never realized there was a difference in the design of the tri-shield....very cool little detail,

Tom

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

These 2 very different `63 centers are the reason I believe there were 2 different versions of the `63 wire covers, the shallow style and the style with a projected spinner. The spinners are different and accept a distinct center.

Hah! So different suppliers for the wire covers?

22 hours ago, j3studio said:

Hah! So different suppliers for the wire covers?

Not necessarily different suppliers, although that would not be uncommon for GM or any other corp. to use multiple sources for inventory, but different dimensions/specs without interchangeability of the individual parts.

Previously, it was common knowledge that only the wire covers with a projected spinner were `63 covers...but I found a handful of covers with the shallow type spinner and the correct `63 centers, which do not interchange with the projected spinner/center. Initially, I thought these shallow center covers were later manufactured service replacements but we have found these covers frequently enough to justify speculating that 2 types of covers were produced in `63. Loren`s post pictures both types of `63 centers.

Tom Mooney

P.S. Keep in mind during this time period the Fed was putting pressure on auto manufacturers to improve safety and any component that projected away from the vehicle was fair game....think Ben Hur! The spinners themselves would be gone by `67 ...

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, Loren@65GS.com said:

Yes Sir, true I have not seen the small crosses on the lower left of the shields. Do both emblems indicate they were both manufactured via injection molding? It appears the antlers on the trishield on the left point to the left near the top. I tried to count the diamonds in each row, but I couldn’t make it out. Should be three rows with 7 diamonds in each row. Thanks for putting those up.

Turbinator

I'm looking at them on my Android (Samsung) tablet.  I can use two fingers, like you can on your phone,  to enlarge the pictures.  There are seven rows of three diamonds, but the one on the lower right is cut off on the bottom by the boarder of the shield; almost to the point of nonexistance on the cap on the left. So maybe  only 20 instead of 21 on that one.

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

I'm looking at them on my Android (Samsung) tablet.  I can use two fingers, like you can on your phone,  to enlarge the pictures.  There are seven rows of three diamonds, but the one on the lower right is cut off on the bottom by the boarder of the shield; almost to the point of nonexistance on the cap on the left. So maybe  only 20 instead of 21 on that one.

You are right. Period.

i used a magnifier with headlamp and came up with the same observation. So, we could be both right or both wrong, but we agree.

thank you for taking the time to look. I suppose both were made by injection molding.

Turbinator

Hopefully the judges won't be counting. lol

I just thought it was interesting that there are two different center emblems for '63 spinners on the wire wheel caps.

Loren

I have one '63 wire hubcap that has a emblem like the one pictured on the right. The spinner is held on with 3 screws. What I thought was odd is the spokes were aluminum not stainless. 

OK Riviera People: I've put a ton of these together and  STILL can't get the fastener spinner right. It has an arrow somewhere.  The 3 position emblem is a pain. The one with the detente at 8 'o clock is much easier to assemble.   Also, my theory for the change to the shorter 4 fastener spinner was that 64 Electra had skirts. just a theory.  Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)

9 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: I've put a ton of these together and  STILL can't get the fastener spinner right. It has an arrow somewhere.  The 3 position emblem is a pain. The one with the detente at 8 'o clock is much easier to assemble.   Also, my theory for the change to the shorter 4 fastener spinner was that 64 Electra had skirts. just a theory.  Mitch

Mitch,

I researched this recently for an  Electra owner who will be competing at the BCA annual meet...in terms of the Electra models, the wire wheel covers were only available on the `63 model year Electra. The `64-`65 Electra could not be ordered from the factory with wire wheel covers. If the wheel covers were redesigned specifically to fit the Electra models one would think the `64-`65 models would have offered them.

I was very surprised by this and looked thoroughly through the factory literature and could not find any indication one could order the wire wheel covers on the `64-`65 Electra.

Tom Mooney

P.S.  I found this while reading another thread on this site:

"FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) outlawed any wheels or wheel covers with "winged projections" beginning on January 1, 1968.  This was the same act that mandated head restraints, shoulder belts and a whole list of safety equipment. "

I have not researched this so take it with a grain of salt...I`m surprised legislation did not come sooner  Tom

FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) outlawed any wheels or wheel covers with "winged projections" beginning on January 1, 1968.  This was the same act that mandated head restraints, shoulder belts and a whole list of safety equipment.

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Mitch,

I researched this recently for an  Electra owner who will be competing at the BCA annual meet...in terms of the Electra models, the wire wheel covers were only available on the `63 model year Electra. The `64-`65 Electra could not be ordered from the factory with wire wheel covers. If the wheel covers were redesigned specifically to fit the Electra models one would think the `64-`65 models would have offered them.

I was very surprised by this and looked thoroughly through the factory literature and could not find any indication one could order the wire wheel covers on the `64-`65 Electra.

Tom Mooney

P.S.  I found this while reading another thread on this site:

"FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) outlawed any wheels or wheel covers with "winged projections" beginning on January 1, 1968.  This was the same act that mandated head restraints, shoulder belts and a whole list of safety equipment. "

I have not researched this so take it with a grain of salt...I`m surprised legislation did not come sooner  Tom

FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) outlawed any wheels or wheel covers with "winged projections" beginning on January 1, 1968.  This was the same act that mandated head restraints, shoulder belts and a whole list of safety equipment.

OK Riviera People: I've put a ton of these together and  STILL can't get the fastener spinner right. It has an arrow somewhere.  The 3 position emblem is a pain. The one with the detente at 8 'o clock is much easier to assemble.   Mitch

OK Tom: I believe it. I have seen plenty of 63-66 Electras with spinner wires. I guess they were dealer or owner  installed. Now, why the switch to the shorter 4 fastener spinner/8 fastener center piece for 1964? Could it have been an engineering thing?   Mitch

I'm going with multiple manufacurers.  Same situation with those unique 64 Buick seat belts.

Tom M,

Would it be possible that the '63 Electra's  did NOT use fender shirts whereas '64 & '65 did???

Tom T.

The site is closed for maintenance but the Team Buick site has a complete list of options for all full sized cars.  It's in a spread sheet format.  Every model in its own column and every option on its own line.  You can find your model and scroll down to the option you're looking for and see if was available.  It breaks down wheel covers so that the spoked wheel cover for the LeSabre, Wildcat, and Electra is a different part than the one for the Riviera (different center caps.)  Don't know how long the site will be closed.

41 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The site is closed for maintenance but the Team Buick site has a complete list of options for all full sized cars.  It's in a spread sheet format.  Every model in its own column and every option on its own line.  You can find your model and scroll down to the option you're looking for and see if was available.  It breaks down wheel covers so that the spoked wheel cover for the LeSabre, Wildcat, and Electra is a different part than the one for the Riviera (different center caps.)  Don't know how long the site will be closed.

Ed,

No need to use second hand info/interpretations. Those sites are often LOADED with mistakes and assumptions. I go directly to the factory wholesale car order forms and the year specific and multi-year accessories/parts books.

Tom

4 hours ago, telriv said:

Tom M,

Would it be possible that the '63 Electra's  did NOT use fender shirts whereas '64 & '65 did???

Tom T.

Hi Tom,

I think you are missing my point. IF the wheelcovers were re-designed to clear the fender skirts, and the `64-`65 models had fender skirts, then why didnt Buick offer the wires on the `64-`65 models?

Tom M

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

I'm going with multiple manufacurers.  Same situation with those unique 64 Buick seat belts.

6 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: I've put a ton of these together and  STILL can't get the fastener spinner right. It has an arrow somewhere.  The 3 position emblem is a pain. The one with the detente at 8 'o clock is much easier to assemble.   Mitch

OK Tom: I believe it. I have seen plenty of 63-66 Electras with spinner wires. I guess they were dealer or owner  installed. Now, why the switch to the shorter 4 fastener spinner/8 fastener center piece for 1964? Could it have been an engineering thing?   Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I agree, I was very surprised to find the `64-`65 Electras were not available with the spokes...but with no supporting evidence in the original factory literature for the wire covers as optional equipment I am convinced.

Regarding your other question, why the switch? Re-read my previous post regarding pressure from the government regarding safety and pending legislation.

Tom

IIRC, the parts book shows wire hubcaps for the Electra in 64-5, but not in 63.

Not that there’s anything deterministic about this, but a quick scan of google images shows that 63 Electras with wire covers are few and far between.  To put that in perspective, there are more pictures of 63s with rally wheels.  Which is to say that (as with any car of that age), it may have deviated from the original over the years if the owner(s) found something appealing which could be easily added.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

Deviated is putting it mildly.  Rally wheels were only available on the Widcat in 1964.  They didn't become available for the Riviera and other models until 1965.  Any rally wheel on a 1963 is definitely a deviation.

The pictures of the 1964 Electras show them all with fender skirts.  No way to put a spinner behind them.  The 1963 Electras on the other hand show an open wheel well with a stainless wheel arch molding. 

Upon further inspection, the part books don't shed a lot of light on this.  That is, it's not clear which models had available wire wheels in which years.  In some situations, it lists wire wheels for the LeSabre, Wildcat, and (different part #) Riviera; in others, it lists various parts (spinners, etc,.) for "All".  At no point is the wire wheel specifically listed for the Electra for any years 63-66.  However, it does say that there was a 14" wire wheel available for the Riviera in 65. ;) 

All that aside, I put wire wheels with red, white, and blue trishields on my 63 Electra and I ain't taking them off. ;) 

BTW:

1964_buick_electra_225_98080902124318315

On 5/16/2019 at 7:49 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Mitch,

Tom Mooney